Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

Does anyone else think that the hard classifiers are the ones with one shot on each target? I always have a hard time going fast on those.

Looks kinda smokey!

Edited by waxman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats because he keeps ignoring me when I nag him about switching to Solo100. :P

I've loaded Titegroup under blackbullets. They are kinda smoky... but it's not an issue unless the sun's in your eyes without any wind, or you shoot indoors.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Thats because he keeps ignoring me when I nag him about switching to Solo100. :P

I've loaded Titegroup under blackbullets. They are kinda smoky... but it's not an issue unless the sun's in your eyes without any wind, or you shoot indoors.

Not ignoring you, I just have a few lbs of TG left to burn up, and about 10k already loaded with TG. :roflol:

You say are you adjusting the distance when shooting the mini poppers instead of the full size poppers. Moving them slightly closer I would assume. How much closer?

Nice shooting by the way. Ridiculously fast and accurate.

You say are you adjusting the distance when shooting the mini poppers instead of the full size poppers. Moving them slightly closer I would assume. How much closer?

Nice shooting by the way. Ridiculously fast and accurate.

Husky,

My math skills tell me that they would need to be 2/3ds the distance of a full size. They have an 8 inch diameter as opposed to 12... so yeah that would work out.

On these particular stages, that would have been so close that I wouldn’t feel safe shooting at them. So I moved them in at most about 5 feet. Not a big deal, but I just want to try and recreate the classifiers as accurately as I can.

You will notice on "Ported View" I just cut out the A zone of a target, giving me a 6 inch by 11 inch port. That port was supposed to be 1 foot square, but I didn't have a good way to recreate that, so I just stuck with what I had.

Laters,

Ben

Ben, now when you have a sposnsor, are you going to take participation in international IPSC matches? Will we see you shooting with Adam Tyc in international evets?

Ben, now when you have a sposnsor, are you going to take participation in international IPSC matches? Will we see you shooting with Adam Tyc in international evets?

The world shoot sounds cool, but my sponsor isn’t quite that generous. I would also need to buy a new gun… because none of mine are legal for IPSC Production. Maybe if I win the lotto I can go.

Another day, another few hundred rounds.

I have been hitting it really really hard this week. I have been on the range every single day. I feel like I am learning quite a bit and making good progress.

One thing that keeps bugging me is making long shots on steel plates. I am having trouble cleaning 25-30 yard plates on an “on demand” basis. I would say that I have certainly improved since last year… but perhaps not as much as I would like. It seems that no matter how high up the ladder we climb, it always comes down to being able to hit the target on demand.

On one good note, I was done a huge favor yesterday but someone that I have never spoken to. Apparently one of the guys that lives in my apartment building works at a sporting goods store. This guy must see me in there from time to time looking at the empty shelf that should contain primers. Well, they got a shipment in yesterday, and this guy put two and two together. He didn’t know my name, so he reserved them for “Wyatt Earp”. Then he saw my roomate and told him to have me go pick up my primers. They turned out to be federal 100s! SWEET!

Edited by Ben Stoeger

Great stuff Ben, keep it up. Hopefully we shoot together again some time at a match.

Flyin

Count on it!

I was wondering about you shooting the 22 with that many rounds. I know with an Open gun and a Marvel 22 on top I can shoot as much as I want and it doesn't affect my timing at all. I can run the same drill or course of fire and 9 times out of 10 my Open gun times are faster. The slide on the Open gun is cycling alot faster that allows for a faster next shot and the recoil is more in the hand than with a 22. I had a ton of guys ask about timing when it comes to limited and production and I never really new what to tell them.

So how do you deal with the different feel of recoil between the two. Do you shoot your production loads prior to a match???

Just wanted some info so the next time someone ask.

I was wondering where to get mags for my .22 conversion to use with my open gun?Thanks for any help

Thanks

Flyin

I have been hitting it really really hard this week. I have been on the range every single day. I feel like I am learning quite a bit and making good progress.

One thing that keeps bugging me is making long shots on steel plates. I am having trouble cleaning 25-30 yard plates on an “on demand” basis. I would say that I have certainly improved since last year… but perhaps not as much as I would like. It seems that no matter how high up the ladder we climb, it always comes down to being able to hit the target on demand.

On one good note, I was done a huge favor yesterday but someone that I have never spoken to. Apparently one of the guys that lives in my apartment building works at a sporting goods store. This guy must see me in there from time to time looking at the empty shelf that should contain primers. Well, they got a shipment in yesterday, and this guy put two and two together. He didn’t know my name, so he reserved them for “Wyatt Earp”. Then he saw my roomate and told him to have me go pick up my primers. They turned out to be federal 100s! SWEET!

Ben what software do you us eon you videos, that slow motion is cool.

Ben what software do you us eon you videos, that slow motion is cool.

Windows Movie Maker

I have the same issue with plates/steel. I think I know what causes it for me. Somewhere in my mind, I look for that motion to confirm the hit and my attention is split between the shot and the previous plate. It all comes down to not having patients on the previous plate and enough follow through to call the shot properly. And once having called it let it go utterly and give it no attention.

That's my take on what happens to me. I was shooting tonight and I did it again. I went back after the match and shot the stage again. I bored in on the dot and followed through. I went from taking 12 extra shots to one, and I would have won the stage had i shot it that way the first go.

Edited by JThompson

It all comes down to not having patients on the previous plate and enough follow through to call the shot properly. And once having called it let it go utterly and give it no attention.

That is a great insight, and certainly something I can be aware of when practicing.

Thanks JThomson! :cheers:

Yep, I am sure of it now, I hate you!!!

(22.22) seconds worth of ERRRR .Thats how many seconds worth of screwing around i was doing while you were shooting. Great job again Ben. I guess i am heading to the range again.

Edited by waxman

I have been busy this week. I have moved to a new place and I am all set up to get back training again.

Tomorrow, I am flying out to Texas. I will be shooting the Texas Open with forum member Bryan W. It should be a really awesome time and I am very much looking forward to it.

On another note, To satisfy all you dorks that complain I have too much smoke, I just ordered 16lbs of Solo 1000. Yay for me. What recipe are you guys using?

I have been busy this week. I have moved to a new place and I am all set up to get back training again.

Tomorrow, I am flying out to Texas. I will be shooting the Texas Open with forum member Bryan W. It should be a really awesome time and I am very much looking forward to it.

On another note, To satisfy all you dorks that complain I have too much smoke, I just ordered 16lbs of Solo 1000. Yay for me. What recipe are you guys using?

congratulations on the move..so the Chief got you down there..

Not yet... I am just doing ride along with his Dept. My move was just an in town move. =)

Dork? DORK?!?

Okay... Yeah. That fits. :D

Solo will be just a bit softer than TG was, but goes a bit easier on the smoke. I honestly don't care about the smoke, either.

However... Don't tell anyone you shoot with about the powder change. Not because I care if they comment on the smoke. Screw the smoke. I want to see how long it takes 'em to comment on the odor. Solo smells kinda like a cheap cigar. Especially when shooting indoors, someone always asks about it.

Chrono data: Might wanna add 1/10th or so, given that these are from a G34 with somewhat faster barrel:

147 BlackBullets Moly

3.2gr Solo1000

1.130"

---------------------------------------------

877, 871, 841, 912

875.25 avg

128.7 Power Factor

147 BBMoly, 3.3 Solo1000, 1.130

----------------------------------------------

-------

879 Average FPS

129.21 Power Factor

147 BBMoly, 3.49 Solo1000, 1.130

-----------------------------------------------

------

893.7 Average FPS

131.37 Power Factor

working on it Stu.... I'm not sure he's going to like the heat down here though...lol

WST is the next powder-of-the-month that I want to try with Moly's. A local has loaded it, and it doesn't have a funny odor like Solo. And it's in the same burn-rate neigborhood as Solo and Titegroup.

*stubborn* I still like my Solo1K... But if WST is half as clean as WSF (just loaded a bunch of hot 115s with that to shoot LFI-1 with Massad Ayoob) then it might be worth a look. WSF is ridiculously clean.