Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

I am currently at training camp and have one day left. I have gone through a couple thousand rounds and feel like it has been ammo well spent.

The whole theme is to work on things that I simply cannot do. I am talking about 30 yard weak hand only steel plates and 60 yard partial targets shot “at speed”. It is great to set forth extremely difficult shooting challenges and then learn to overcome them.

I certainly plan on taking it to the next level tomorrow. 50 yard swinger time!

I think this will make game day seem pretty easy.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put the mini popper to activate that bitch at 100... which you have to engage shooting double action. Strong hand only.

I don't really have enough space on the bays to do that. I can certainly put the mini at 60 or so and strong hand only that guy.

Training camp is all done.

For one… I had FUN. Trying to hit a 50 yard swinger with a no shoot on it is FUN. Pushing your accuracy to the point of failure is fun. Pushing to go so fast that you completely melt down is FUN. Filling a bucket with brass in just a few days is FUN. I love shooting and I love pushing my skills to the absolute limit. I was able to expand those limits just a little bit while I was at it.

I set a few goals for myself at the beginning of the year and I was able to knock off a few of them. I got an all A Bill drill at 15 yards in under 1.7. I also put a shot on each of 3 targets at 5 yards in less than a second. I am nearing another goal… and that is being comfortable shooting at 50 yard partial targets at match speed. I am not there yet, but I am getting there.

I did have some issues. I don’t have the trigger speed or grip consistency that I would like. I would also love to reload faster. I would love to be more accurate. I will keep on working on it.

I got out today to do a bit of shooting and got some video as well, just to see how things are looking. Yes, I look like a dork…. The only thing I had going on today was shooting so cut me some slack.

In any event, I feel like I have made a good bit of progress. Shot calling is really good, and I like that. I feel like my up close shooting could be quite a bit smoother and I intend to work on that.

Señor Ben,

I own a beretta 96 stock model and I am reloading for it to PF 133. Am I legal for production?

Please advise or point Yourstruly in the right direction

It is on the approved production gun list so I can't see why you wouldn't be good to go with that setup.

Señor Ben,

I own a beretta 96 stock model and I am reloading for it to PF 133. Am I legal for production?

Please advise or point Yourstruly in the right direction

It is on the approved production gun list so I can't see why you wouldn't be good to go with that setup.

Thank you

If your comments have disappeared and you are wondering why I will remind you of the forum rules, specifically:

Rants involving shooters, firearms, or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, Colt, Brownell's, Dillon, or Match Staff - are NOT PERMITTED. Brian's Forums is not the place to resolve customer service issues or disputes you may have with a manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith, or individual.

I got out to do some training.

I had a brief conversation with Matt Mink the other day. He mentioned that he trained a little bit on 99-48 “tight sqeeze”. I remember that this used to be a real favorite classifier of mine. You have a fast draw, fast reload, tight shooting, and a high risk factor. Mink put up some pretty sweet times on it and he got me all motivated.

http://www.wisconsinshooters.com/documents/uspsa/stages_12/99-48_tight_squeeze.pdf

I dug up some old footage of me shooting this classifier. As I recall I used to think a good run under practice conditions was pretty much anything under six seconds.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1071935127562036621&hl=en

Yeah so that is me 4 years ago shooting the stage.

This is me today:

Today… I felt like a “Good” run for me was anything under 5 seconds. The second run on the video was 4.52 seconds I think. My best run of the day without any penalties was 4.32 or something like that.

I would say that most of the time has come off of the draw and the reload. I have picked up a bit more time in between targets though.

I did a lot of reflection while I was shooting today. I remember what this stage used to be like for me. I had a hard time not clipping no shoots when I was going really fast. I had to take great care with the hardcover target even at a relaxed pace.

Today a few things really stuck out at me. I was able to call all my shots, all the time. I did put a few into the hardcover when I really got moving, but I always called them there. The No Shoots were not an issue at all in terms of dragging a bullet into them by getting onto the trigger to early on the third target or pulling the gun off the first target while still shooting. I feel like I have really developed some discipline in that area.

The interesting thing is that the hardcover target is still one that I felt like I had to work to get my A’s on. Even with years more training under my belt, I still have to be careful on a target like that to land A’s.

I am pleased to see how far I have come and I like knowing that I am not just burning up ammo for now apparent benefit. I can only imagine where I will be in another 4 years of training.

I went out and wacked on some drills today in preparation for area 5.

I didn’t do so hot on the 30 yard partial targets I had set up. I hit a few no shoots =)

The bright spot today was I got down into the .70s on my reloads a couple times. That is pretty decent for me.

Area 5 is coming up soon and I am really looking forward to it. I am on a squad with Mink and we should have a fun little battle during the day. After that I am going to force myself to stay away from the range until July. My ammo supply has become dangerously low and I need a couple weeks to get caught up on my reloading.

I didn't exactly have the match of my life... I screwed a lot of things up.

The one day format on Friday was BRUTAL. By the end of the day I was shooting horribly. I think I dropped 30 points on the last stage. =)

It was a fun battle with Mink over the course of the day and I met many new people... all in all I was happy to have gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyLFYxKG-Bw