Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oakley "shooting specific" lenses

Garrett

Looking around on Oakley's website, I see that they have a "Shooting specific" lens tint, called G26 Iridium.

From the description tab:

"...this shooting-specific edition of RADAR® comes with our G26™ lens color. Whether you’re in the flat light of overcast skies or the glare of medium bright sun, G26™ boosts the orange in targets while increasing contrast against green and blue backgrounds. It not only makes the target stand out; it enhances your depth perception..."

However, under the "lens tint" tab:

"G26 Lens: Target-shooting-specific lens for flat to medium light. Enhances orange in targets while increasing contrast against green and blue backgrounds. Not to be used for other activities."

Not sure about them not for use for other than shooting. Anyone ever try these? I thought about ordering a set, but they only come in the "Radar" frame, which bumps outward at the front part of the ear pieces, which would probably interfere with earmuffs. These might make be worth looking into if they put them in a different frame.

Anyway, anyone have any experience with these?

Recently I've seen a nice photo of Chris Tilley in action, with a pair of Radar-frame Oakley: so I think this confirm that they fits good with earmuffs ... :rolleyes:

By the way: anybody knows if they comes (on request) with graduated lenses ??

I have been using that lens for couple of years!

I think they work excellent in flat to medium light.

They are not dark enough for really bright conditions though.

As far as the ear stems on the RADAR glasses they are pretty thick,and if you use muffs they tend to irritate you after a long range session.

Also check out their golf specific lens in G26 they are ventilated and are more comfortable in hot climates.

That is the style I use.

Rich

Ya, Oakley's are nice glasses but I can't see paying that kind of money for something that I'm either going to lose or drop and scratch. I'll stick with el cheapo's!

Go to Oakleys website and register as an LEO. You fill out the online information and attach a scan of you Police ID and they will approve you in about 30 minutes. They have a limited number of styles available but the price is about 60% less.

I've been using Decot Hy-wyd glasses for a long time. They are great quality, work well with muffs, and have tons of shades of lenses to pick. They don't fog, distort, or blur at all. They can also do custom RX if you need them. Also, at any time you can send them back, and they will put new springs and pads on them for free! It's hard to beat that.

www.sportglasses.com

Ya, Oakley's are nice glasses but I can't see paying that kind of money for something that I'm either going to lose or drop and scratch. I'll stick with el cheapo's!

Go to Oakleys website and register as an LEO. You fill out the online information and attach a scan of you Police ID and they will approve you in about 30 minutes. They have a limited number of styles available but the price is about 60% less.

used oakley prescription glasses for over 11 years-they are rock solid...but an LE discount-that blows.

I've been using Decot Hy-wyd glasses for a long time. They are great quality, work well with muffs, and have tons of shades of lenses to pick. They don't fog, distort, or blur at all. They can also do custom RX if you need them. Also, at any time you can send them back, and they will put new springs and pads on them for free! It's hard to beat that.

www.sportglasses.com

look like *cough* old man glasses *cough* i mean, vintage glasses.

I have the Radar frame with the Path shape lens. I use the G26 lens on more cloudy or days that aren’t very sunny. (More often than not in Pittsburgh)

I also have the Dark vented Iridium lens for very sunny days & the clear vented for indoors. The frame is kind of thick and you are gonna feel it after a few hours on the range.

Great sunglasses, I have been wearing Oakley’s for 20 years, and think are just incredible sunglasses. Their repair and warranty department have been great for everything I have needed them for.

Radar Paths fit perfectly under my ear muffs with gel surrounds. Other than full sun days, I find that VR28 works best for most conditions and had good contrast with the brown targets we shoot. G26 works well for clay sports.

The oakley govt website is: https://usstandardissue.com/

I've had the G26 lens for my M-frames for at least 2 years. As Showclear said, they're not dark enough for the really bright days, but I used to use them on overcast days. So far this season I've been using my clear lens on overcast days and medium gray lens for brighter days and I think I prefer it this way. The G26 throws the contrast off so much that I find myself thinking about the lenses more than the shooting I'm in the middle of.

I've had the G26 lens for my M-frames for at least 2 years. As Showclear said, they're not dark enough for the really bright days, but I used to use them on overcast days. So far this season I've been using my clear lens on overcast days and medium gray lens for brighter days and I think I prefer it this way.

+1

But I live in Denmark, so I just love them.

I do have 5/6 other pair of lenses though.

Big fan of the VR28 lens. The deeper tinted gray and black lenses don't have the sharp contrast of the brown lenses. Also, any of the mirrored lenses scratch easier and give annoying reflections off of the inside of the lens when the sun is at your back. Vermillion lenses are great for cloudy days. Tried some of the shooter lenses on but didn't care for the contrast.

Edited by jsneff