Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tanfoglio limited custom 40 cal

Hey Everybody!

My father and I are looking into purchasing a Tanfoglio limited custom in forty cal. I have spoken to some members on the forum like Henning and Leo who have been extremely helpful. I was wondering if I could get some more personal experiences with it. So far I'm hearing great things about their 40 cal pistols. I got to shoot one of the low end models and I thought it was very unique. I have not been able to find any dealer in MD who has one and it's a pain in the @$$. I think for the money it's comparable to the ST/SV deal. Any reviews or advice would me most appreciated.

Thanks,

Robby

Great guns! Can't be beat for the money. EAA has less than favorable customer service however. Call Henning, he can help you get a gun, I'd also buy mags and parts from him. I think the only real drawback is that S_I guns have MANY more parts to choose from. A good Tanfoglio isn't going to break the bank though. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Match in 40 and love it. Shoot with 2 guys that have the Limited and they love it. My Match has been flawless, only problems are with the mags but that is not the gun. It comes with a great trigger and is really well balanced.

The Limiteds have run well also. One of the guys did a little work to it, and caused some problems... but the guns are awesome and now everyone we shoot with wants one. They just changed out the grips from the wood to colored panels and they look better. The owners are thinking about picking up the stock 9mm(which looks exactly like the Limited) for production class.

Drawbacks:

1. Do you reload? You need to either have a source for long loads (OAL of 1.17 or so) or be able to load your own.

2. Aftermarket accessories are a little hard to comeby. Henning is the man, but with everyone going to him, there may be a line. Good prices and a decent selection but not as much as some of the other platforms.

Positives:

1. With out a doubt the price. I picked my Match up for $675 with the hard case and 4 factory mags. I was able to shoot limited right away for 675. I think the Limited will run about 1000 or at least that is what the local FFL has them for.

Hope that helped a tad bit.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Limited that I got from Rich at Canyon Creek (see his subforum on this board). I've been really happy with the way its performed and the service and support both Rich and Henning have provided. It's a heck of a deal in comparison with an S_I. The only drawbacks, as mentioned is the lack of aftermarket parts or replacement parts (and their cost). I really like that Henning is coming up with a bunch of his own tuner parts. Mine doesn't feed factory ammo well - long ammo is fine. Also to get 21 rounds in the mag and to feed, had to "u-die" all my brass before loading (on a SDB). Now I got a 650 and it's just part of my loading process.

~Mitch

What grain bullet do you use and what length are you running the round at?

180gr Montana Gold JHP

1.170" COL (have gone longer in the past)

4.8gr Titegroup

Federal Small Magnum primers

Was getting unreliable ignition with Winchester primers. Went with the magnum primers because it's what I could find locally, although I've used regular Fed Small pistol primers. I could probably dial my load back - got a 180pf. I don't want to be close to not making it at Area 1!

~Mitch

What grain bullet do you use and what length are you running the round at?

180gr Montana Gold JHP

1.170" COL (have gone longer in the past)

4.8gr Titegroup

Federal Small Magnum primers

Was getting unreliable ignition with Winchester primers. Went with the magnum primers because it's what I could find locally, although I've used regular Fed Small pistol primers. I could probably dial my load back - got a 180pf. I don't want to be close to not making it at Area 1!

~Mitch

Good gun. I passed up more expensive models for this one and could not be happier. Like Mitch said earlier, lack of aftermarket parts can be an issue but you really don't need many.

Mitch, I'm getting my 550B set up this weekend and had heard that you have to use an undersize die. Is this just for getting to 21 in the mag?

Mitch, I'm getting my 550B set up this weekend and had heard that you have to use an undersize die. Is this just for getting to 21 in the mag?

I'm using brass picked up off a range floor - so it's a lot of once fired glock brass. I measured the difference in the case diameter due to the "glock bluge". My SDB was not getting enough of the bulge out and on the finished/loaded round the base was wider than the mouth by a noticeable amount. With this "bad" ammo and the factory 15 round mag it worked okay, but once I started putting more than 15 in the mag (using the Henning basepad and Grams spring/follower) I got really bad nose dives. Once I U-died everything first (single staged before going to the SDB), dimensional problems went away as did the nose dives.

In short, I'd say yes, save yourself the headache and run an undersize die in station 1 of your 550.

~Mitch

I'm using brass picked up off a range floor - so it's a lot of once fired glock brass. I measured the difference in the case diameter due to the "glock bluge". My SDB was not getting enough of the bulge out and on the finished/loaded round the base was wider than the mouth by a noticeable amount. With this "bad" ammo and the factory 15 round mag it worked okay, but once I started putting more than 15 in the mag (using the Henning basepad and Grams spring/follower) I got really bad nose dives. Once I U-died everything first (single staged before going to the SDB), dimensional problems went away as did the nose dives.

In short, I'd say yes, save yourself the headache and run an undersize die in station 1 of your 550.

~Mitch

Thanks for the great info. I've been saving up my once fired brass and picking up extras while at the range. I now know where the "funny looking" .40 cases are coming from.

Just to make sure though, they will run in the Witness Limited okay, correct?

Pinman,

If you're reloading, it's not a problem. If you're not reloading, talk to Henning or Rich about your options. Probably you could by "match ammo" from Atlanta Arms - who will load long ammo for you.

Flatboxer,

If you u-die the glocked brass, it'll be just fine!

~Mitch

Oh I reload brother, I have all the undersized dies but the only glock I shoot is my 17 which i have a U die for. My dad reloads forty for his SVI so I would be set. It would just be nice to be able to get some factory ammo if I was in a pinch and shoot a steel match.

I still like the gun from what I have seen. My dad and I would like one we just can't afford one, we can barely afford to shoot what we have. If there was one last pistol we would have it would be that TANFO LT CUSTOM.

Thanks!

Robby O.

wow so it's hard to run standard length 40 cal ammo through the gun? 1.17 is super long!!!!!

You can also get it from Precision Delta. That is were I picked mine up from They have a trial pack of 500, so you wouldnt need to order all that much.

I have never dealt with Atlanta Arms, funny since I am in Atlanta. I didnt know they would load long, as their website is lacking in the customer service arena.

A lot of the guys I shot with use it so it has to be pretty darn good.

Also I am using

180gr MG FMJ or CMJ

4.7 titegroup

1.18 OAL.

any primers I can find (winchester, CCI and Federal)

I know 180gr. Raniers TC will run, and 180gr JHP from Winchester run.

Matt

Thanks guys for your help, the dies I use for the 9's for my race gun consist of Dillon and a Lee factory carbide taper crimp die. For the 40 I use Dillon, and redding. My dad helps me with my reloading because I'm quite new to it. He makes sure I don't make any mistakes. I think he purchased some dies from MidwayUsa. The others we got as a package deal with my dad's 40 race gun. I hope that helps a little Sharon, my dad sets it up and I pull the handle =)

I really like the feel of the low end model Tanfo's, they are really neat. If it could be afforded my dad and I would get one. The trigger pull is the most unique one I have ever felt.

If cost is a factor and you really want to shoot limited, get a Witness Elite Match. I've got one in 9mm. Great gun, not quite as nice as the Limited, but then again it's half the price. I suspect you could get a Limited match, some mags with Grams guts and Henning basepads, fiber optic sight up and running for under $1000.

~Mitch

The trigger on my limited is nicer than on my match. But my limited has the EGW hammer and sear in it. And then my buddy who tinkers with everything has a nicer trigger on his match (just played with springs and polishing) than my limited. The Limited has a full length dust cover and a cone barrel on top of the things you've mentioned. If you can afford it call Henning when he's back from his Europe trip and ask what his package price for gun, mags, holster etc is. If you're on a tight budget you could get the Match in 40 and shoot L10 with the stock mags, and add on as you go. It'll be good, but in the end, it won't have some of the things the Limited has.

~Mitch

Mitch, I love out of the box guns, I usually don't like anything way too fancy. If my dad purchases one we wouldn't mess with it. Henning mentioned that a 10lb recoil spring should be the only thing I throw in the gun if I'm trying to keep it out of the box reliable and functional. The one I shot was the low end model that costs like 350. The trigger on it was sweet, I can't imagine how much nicer they can get!!!!! The match is extremely appealing especially with that salt and pepper look. The limited custom is sexy as well. Is the match pistol able to shoot box ammo or do you need to load long for that pistol as well?

Thanks for your help, we are trying to pull as much info as possible on these pistols. No one in MD seems to have them.

Robby

Robby,

I don't how well the Match in 40S&W will feed factory ammo. My 9mm Match feeds factory ammo just fine. If you're not a "trick it out" kind of guy, then the Match will definitely save you some money. I was gonna buy a 40Match and then add this that and the other thing onto it, then realized that for a little more money I should just the Limited. But getting a Match and not really messing with it, will save you a lot!

~Mitch

Robby,

I don't how well the Match in 40S&W will feed factory ammo. My 9mm Match feeds factory ammo just fine. If you're not a "trick it out" kind of guy, then the Match will definitely save you some money. I was gonna buy a 40Match and then add this that and the other thing onto it, then realized that for a little more money I should just the Limited. But getting a Match and not really messing with it, will save you a lot!

~Mitch

Mitch is right the Match is a nice gun. If you have the money pick up the Limited though. I think the full length dustcover is nice and you get the magwell and a better barrel.

Leo