Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forum member Bill Rosenthal

Nik Habicht

From the OBCATS Website:

Condolences

It is with deep sadness that OBCATS regrets to inform our friends and family of the passing of one of our friends. Bill Rosenthal passed away Saturday morning. Bill will be missed by all who knew him, he was one of those who touched people’s lives in a special way.

Details on arrangements will be posted as they become available.

I was privileged to have Bill as a friend during the last few years, since his return to USPSA shooting. I'm going to start this thread by sharing what kind of friend Bill could be:

A few years ago we’re at a three gun match, the time and location aren’t really important. It’s the end of a very hot and humid day, and my butt is really dragging – I almost dropped out of the match due to heat exhaustion.

We’re on the last stage, and after the first shooter finished, I didn’t make it downrange to tape the targets. One of the ROs – who’s been out in that sun for a whole day longer than we have – and I have a misunderstanding about that, and I get threatened with a match DQ for unsportsmanlike conduct, which fortunately doesn’t happen when the RM comes by and settles us down. But before that happens, while Bill’s standing in the start box, and listening to our disagreement, he says: “You dq my friend, you’ll need to dq me too – because I’m not taping another target or resetting another piece of steel on this stage.”

That was the kind of guy Bill was – if you were his friend, he’d do anything to show his solidarity and to let you know how he felt about you. Ah God, I miss him!

I've known Bill for 7 years worth of matches, dinners, match setups and break downs, weddings, a couple of road trips, and who knows what else.

Last year, at the first a USPSA workshop, Flex was singing the praises of forums and provided as a example this thread. When my basement was filling with water and every pump in th county was already sold, Bill lent me his, and saved the day, my basement, and proabably my furnace and water heater. I still have that pump, because he refused to take it back in case I need it again.

A couple of days ago, while Bill was in the hospital with an uncertain future, one of my coworks asked something about shooting and I took out my phone to show her a video of USPSA shooting. The video I picked at random, had Bill RO'ing me. I don't remember what my co-worker asked at that point because I stopped paying attention and I was speachless for a while, which doesn't happen very often as some of you can confirm.

My thoughts are with his family, and specially his young children who often shot with us, his wife and his brother (another fellow shooter).

Nik,

That story you related about Bill just hit hard. It is friends that make us wealthy, truly, in this world. It made me wish I too had made his aquaintance. That is an honor that you did in his memory by sharing with us what a good man he was.

Thanks, JZ

I did not know Bill but to hear people talk about him at the last OB match I know he will be missed. My condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Bill.

Edited by 03k64

My condolences to the Rosenthal's and all of his friends.

He has been a familiar face at almost all the matches I have ever been to since I first started this sport.

It is sad to know that he has left us.

R.I.P.

I have known Bill for almost 12 years of shooting with both of us being on and off. I remember running out of ammo due to a couple of reshoots and he threw me about 100 rounds of his loaded super and wouldn't take anything in return. When I was just starting out he was always more than willing to help me or anyone else out with just about anything.

I will always regret not having a chance to have seen him again! But I will always remember him with a smile on his face.

Brian

I was shocked and saddened to hear about Bill. I talked to him before the 3-gun match at Topton started. I was surprised to hear he didn't finish the match and went home sick but I never dreamed this would happen. Bill was an extremely nice guy always will to help. My condolences to his daughter Dawn and the rest of his family.

Noah

I am speechless with the passing of Bill. He has been and will always be a fixture of my USPSA and 3 gun memories.

This weekend I was cleaning out my bedroom and came across a a photo of myself at the NC Recon three gun a couple of years ago. I intently remembered where and when that photo was taken. I was on a stage at "The Range" in July absolutely sweltering in the heat. If you have been to a Recon match you would know you have to carry all of your gear old day. From his backpack Bill pulls this camera and snaps this photo of me. I laughed at him and asked him why the heck he was carrying a camera. I was at that point in the day trowing extra shots to loose some weight and Bill has been toting his camera around all day. Well he did love to take those pictures :) Just a happy / funny memory with Bill.

Bill was a great guy who I loved to shoot with. I will miss him and wish his family heart felt condolences.

I just learned of Bill's passing and I am speechless. I can't say that I have known Bill for years or that we were very close, but I considered him a friend none the less.

I first learned of Bill through George Smith at EGW. Bill and I share the same last name (no relation) and George always got us confused. When we finally met at a match I told him it was finally nice to meet myself and we had a good laugh over it. I didn't get to really know Bill until the NJ state IDPA match last year. Bill didn't shoot much IDPA but he was willing to go to an IDPA SO class just to ensure that we had enough guys to make that match happen. There was really nothing in it for him but that didn't matter, and that is the man that I will remember.

We spent the entire day working the same two stages together and it was always a joy to see him thereafter. I will miss seeing him and the NJ shooting scene is the less for not having him around.

RIP Bill.

The following is Bill's obituary.

William M. Rosenthal, 46, of the Parlin section of Sayreville, died Saturday, March 29, 2008, of complications due to a heart condition.

He was employed by By-The-Sea Photography & Video of Metuchen following his father's footsteps in the field of wedding photography.

He resided in Neptune City for 16 years, moving to Parlin three years ago. William was an avid sportsman and music enthusiast. He enjoyed watching sports with the guys, fishing with his daughter and rock concerts with family and friends.

He was treasurer of the Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club.

He was predeceased by his parents, Harold and Shirley Rosenthal of Old Bridge. Mr. Rosenthal is survived by his wife of 20 years, Tracy Weeden Rosenthal; his son, William D. Rosenthal, age 18, who is also a photographer; his daughter, Dawn Marie, age 13; his brother, David J. Rosenthal of South Amboy, and his sister, Lynn Marie Rosenthal of Albuquerque, N.M.

Services will be held at 8 p.m. Wednesday evening at Kurzawa Funeral Home, 338 Main St., South Amboy. Friends and relatives are invited to attend the burial, leaving the funeral home at 10 a.m. on Thursday, enroute to St. Ann's Cemetery in Wall Township. Visiting hours will be 2 p.m.-4 p.m. and 7 p.m.-9 p.m. Wednesday, at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the family.