Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage sponsors.

I am curious about how to go about getting match/stage sponsors. At all the large matches you see a stage sponsor. How do you go about getting the sponsor and what do you ask of them? Is it a monitary donation for advertisement, or an exchage for material items? I am just curious. I may need to hold a bigger match one day, and wouldn't know where to begin.

I don't have any direct experience, but please remember to ask the potential sponsors what your event can do to promote their business in return supporting you. :excl: Examples: provide vendor space, distribute literature in registration packet, display banners on stage and elsewhere, mention in prematch advertising/announcements, etc. Don't limit yourself to shooting related sponsors -consider local restaurants and other business that competitors may patronize while participating.

Edited by NMCOpen

my experience is there are levels of sponsorship, match sponsor being the biggest money, then tapering down from there. With sponsorship comes so many shooting slots depending on level along with other perks for the sponsor like others previously mentioned. Its a win win for both if done right. They get advertising, at varying levels, putting product out, tax write offs, etc. I have to say after doing one on a local level even it is definitely some work the first time around. If all goes well then the follow up matches are better. good luck.

Who are you looking at? I've gotten several vendors to contact clubs for Sectionals or Area matches.

Well, I'm not looking yet. I am just trying to gather some info. I think that my club would make for a nice sectional someday. But there is a lot of work in putting on a larger match. I certainly don't have the experience in this game to make it work yet.

Edited by gemcityshooter

I think that my club would make for a nice sectional someday. But there is a lot of work in putting on a larger match. I certainly don't have the experience in this game to make it work yet.

Ah, just what a Section Coordinator loves to hear! 2009 has a probable, but 2010 is open. Can I pencil you in?

Edited by vluc

Sounds like a chance to make life a little better (or easier maybe) for a Sponsor.

First and foremost I expect for the sponsor coordinator to be nice, believe it or not I have run into several who treat the whole exchange as if they are offering me the chance of a lifetime and they expect my full compliance!

Be fair and equal to all. I sponsored at one event where the other match sponsor contributed product catalogs and 10 jars of BBQ sauce. But the catalogs did have a retail value of 20.00.

Be mindful of the value of the sponsor dollar. I have sponsored events where I had to pay a crazy price for an extra table (that was stacked in the corner anyway). I always appreciate a nice covered, well trafficked area for the shooters to visit.

For those sponsors that don't vend, I also sponsor many more events than I can shoot.... be mindful that little things like shooters packet catalogs and fliers... still cost the sponsor a ton of money. Also when you can offer something in return like slots for shooting or offer to provide a slot for a deserving junior shooter in the name of the sponsor. Many many companies in the shooting industry are so small that it is simply not cost effective for them to sponsor if they can't be there to vend and sell some product.

Keep things in perspective for the size and level of a match. I used to vend/sponsor at an Area level event at it's highest perceived level while the same level of sponsorship at our Nationals cost less money. Adding insult to that... that particular match was the only one who refused to buy product or demanded it at cost and then even complained about the product donations.

Everyone is affected by the rising costs associated with shooting to include the sponsors... you just have to show them that your match is a value for thier advertising dollar.

Yes.... you can sign me up.

I think that my club would make for a nice sectional someday. But there is a lot of work in putting on a larger match. I certainly don't have the experience in this game to make it work yet.

Ah, just what a Section Coordinator loves to hear! 2009 has a probable, but 2010 is open. Can I pencil you in?

Hehe. Not just yet. It is still an idea.

I like the idea! Well, you have one (potential) sponsor already....Jim may be able to bring you more!

Sounds like a chance to make life a little better (or easier maybe) for a Sponsor.

First and foremost I expect for the sponsor coordinator to be nice, believe it or not I have run into several who treat the whole exchange as if they are offering me the chance of a lifetime and they expect my full compliance!

Be fair and equal to all. I sponsored at one event where the other match sponsor contributed product catalogs and 10 jars of BBQ sauce. But the catalogs did have a retail value of 20.00.

Be mindful of the value of the sponsor dollar. I have sponsored events where I had to pay a crazy price for an extra table (that was stacked in the corner anyway). I always appreciate a nice covered, well trafficked area for the shooters to visit.

For those sponsors that don't vend, I also sponsor many more events than I can shoot.... be mindful that little things like shooters packet catalogs and fliers... still cost the sponsor a ton of money. Also when you can offer something in return like slots for shooting or offer to provide a slot for a deserving junior shooter in the name of the sponsor. Many many companies in the shooting industry are so small that it is simply not cost effective for them to sponsor if they can't be there to vend and sell some product.

Keep things in perspective for the size and level of a match. I used to vend/sponsor at an Area level event at it's highest perceived level while the same level of sponsorship at our Nationals cost less money. Adding insult to that... that particular match was the only one who refused to buy product or demanded it at cost and then even complained about the product donations.

Everyone is affected by the rising costs associated with shooting to include the sponsors... you just have to show them that your match is a value for thier advertising dollar.

Yes.... you can sign me up.

DVC40JIM,

Thanks for the info. Just curious, what business do you have/represent? I'll definitely keep you in mind for when the time comes.

• 2 months later...

During a summer while I was in school, I worked at a nationally-known gunshop. We got requests for sponsorship all the time (and I know that they still do). The request was along the lines of, "what can you give us". To me, it should be, "here is what we can do for you - we expect X number of shooters attending this match from X, Y, and Z states. For you donation of your Mall Ninja Special, your company name will be prominently displayed on the match t-shirt, match handbook and stage banner. Also, your catalog will be placed in every competitor's goodie-bag. Our match always attracts a lot of Mall Ninjas, which are the types of customers that you are trying to get." We had to look at the match that was requesting the sponsorship donation and then figure out how that was going to help the company's bottom line - if you can make your case that sponsoring your match can help the company's bottom line in a cost-effective manner, then you are more than likely to get a donation.

Aw, come on Matt! You've got a nice club there... Pretty good sized, nice location with one of my favorite things, SHADE and a big clubhouse for registration, lunch, vendors, etc, etc!!

Vluc, it sounds like you nominate G C for 2010, I'll second! :cheers:

Aw, come on Matt! You've got a nice club there... Pretty good sized, nice location with one of my favorite things, SHADE and a big clubhouse for registration, lunch, vendors, etc, etc!!

Vluc, it sounds like you nominate G C for 2010, I'll second! :cheers:

FWIW, Gem City has unanimously voted to offer to host the 2010 Western Pennsylvania Sectional Championship Match. Any additional help that can be extended to Matt as he and his crew prepare for this would be greatly appreciated. Yes, it is a few years out, (hehe, I also have a club wanting 2011!), but they have already shown their mettle by coming all the way down from Erie to help RO the Area 8 match, and plan to help at the 2008 Sectional at McDonald as well.

Now these are the kinds of clubs, MD's and shooters that any section loves to have!

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would chime in once again with a recent experience... What I would really like to see is some sort of legitimate organized manner of working sponsors. I dont want to see it unionized but I know for certain we can attract more sponsors if we are not as picky or pricey.

I tried to sponsor an upcoming event and was basically told that what I wanted to provide was not acceptable. Reviewing the "standardized" agreement the first thing I noticed is that already several major shooting events are more expensive than even the nationals with far less in advertising benefits coming back to the sponsor.

Match staff should know that the sponsor is in this for the advertisment and should work toward that end. Realistic trade value is what I would expect from the staff.... in this case I approached the match staff for 3 shooting slots the agreement did not cover that amount... so the final offer back from the match staff (after 2 weeks of trying to sponsor) was that I should provide some $3500.00+ in order to get $300.00 in slots!

Simply not cost effective I would say.

Since 2003 I have ran the prize table for several of the Indiana IDPA State and Regionals, and for the last couple of years the table for the Indiana USPSA Sectional.

The Amounts on the tables are usually $20-30,000 in value.

Here is what I sent out as an agreement and sponsor application for this years match.

2008 USPSA Indiana State & Sectional Championship June 6th – 8th

Silver Creek Conservation Club, Sellersburg, IN

http://www.indianauspsa.org

2008 USPSA Indiana State & Sectional Championship Sponsor Agreement/Application

The Silver Creek Conservation Club and Wabash Valley Practical Pistol Shooters are please to announce that they will be hosting this year’s 2008 Indiana Championship Match. We understand that in order to provide a top-level match we need the participation from Sponsors. The Sponsors are very important part of the success and overall atmosphere for the competitors. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to review this information and for your consideration and sponsorship.

Bronze Level Sponsorship – Donates merchandise, shooting related products or accessories, ammunition, or related reloading components, gift certificates, discount coupons, parts, or apparel items valued from $25- $149. All donated discount coupons will be considered a Bronze Level Donation. All Bronze Level Sponsors will be listed in the match booklet.

Silver Level Sponsorship - Donates merchandise, shooting related products or accessories, ammunition, or related reloading components, gift certificates, parts or apparel items valued from $150 - $299. All Silver Level Sponsors will also be listed in the match booklet, but will include contact information. Silver Level Sponsors will also have their level of contribution listed on our website, which will include a hyperlink and a brief (20 words or less) product or service description listed

Gold Level Sponsorships - Donates merchandise, firearms, shooting related products or accessories, ammunition, or related reloading components, gift certificates, parts or apparel items valued at $300 or more. All Gold Level Sponsors will also be listed in the match booklet, including contact information. Gold Level Sponsors will also have their level of contribution listed on our website, including contact information. Gold Level sponsors will also receive a hyperlink and a brief (20 words or less) product or service description on our website's list of 2008 sponsors. Additionally, we will place the sponsor's advertisement banner (468x60 pixel, .gif or .png format) on the championship match results pages. Gold Level Sponsors will be announced during the match for their level of donation to all competitors

Stage Level Sponsorship - Donates merchandise, firearms, shooting related products or accessories, ammunition, or related reloading components, gift certificates, parts, apparel or financial support valued at $600 or more. . Stage Level Sponsors will also receive a hyperlink and a brief (20 words or less) product or service description on our website's list of 2008 sponsors. Additionally, we will place the sponsor's advertisement banner (468x60 pixel, .gif or .png format) on the championship match results pages. Stage Level Contributors will have their name and supplied logo or banners posted at the stages and will be announced to each squad of competitors as the sponsor of that stage during the entire 3 days of the match.

**For all levels of sponsorship will we include your company’s supplied brochures, catalogs, literature or flyers in each of the competitor’s information package.

**We will display any supplied banners, posters, logos or promotional material that you send along with your donations (any banners or promotional material that is to be returned must have prepaid shipping and return information provided)

**We will allow one free slot to companies that donate $600 or more if they wish to have a sponsored member from their team compete in the match. If you wish to participate in this please indicate on the form.

**We will have areas set up for Vendors. Vendors must at least contribute at the Bronze Level in order to set up. Please indicate if you wish to participate as a Vendor along with your donation level on the form.

Sponsors are asked to please respond as soon as possible. The deadline for Sponsorship confirmation and donations to be received by is May 28th.

(We appreciate the offers to purchase items at discounted prices, however due to financial constraints we ask that items be donated. Any discounts that are offered should be in the form of a discount coupon that can be distributed as a prize to the competitors, also allowing you Bronze Level Sponsorship)

We are looking forward to your generous support of this match and to the shooters that compete in these shooting sports.

For additional information on:

USPSA www.uspsa.org

2008 Indiana Championship http://www.indianauspsa.org

Silver Creek Conservation Club www.silvercreekcc.org

USPSA and NSSF Marketing Survey www.uspsa.org/nssf/industry_intelligence_reports.pdf

2008 USPSA Indiana State & Sectional Championship June 6th – 8th

Silver Creek Conservation Club, Sellersburg, IN

http://www.indianauspsa.org

2008 USPSA Indiana State & Sectional Championship Sponsor Agreement/Application

Please fill out the form and return with your donation.

The deadline for Sponsorship confirmation and to receive donations, including any literature, promotional material etc. is May 28th

Name of Company : ____________________________________________

Name of Contact Person : _________________________________

Sponsorship Level : ____________________

Type and Quantity of donation: __________________________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Value of Donation: _______________________

Wish to Participate as a Vendor: Yes or No

Wish to Reserve a Slot for Sponsored Competitor with your $600 Donation: Yes or No

Contact information you wish to have listed:

Name of Company : ____________________________________________________

Address : __________________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________________

Phone: ____________________________ Fax : ______________________________________

Web address : ________________________________________________________________

Email contact : _______________________________________________________________

Signature : ________________________________________________ Date : ___________________

For questions or if you need additional information please contact me ASAP

Contact and Mailing Information:

I will send that out as an attachment to a cover letter email that looked like this:

The 2008 USPSA Indiana State & Sectional Championship (www.uspsa.org) is being hosted by the Wabash Valley Practical Pistol Shooters at the

Silver Creek Conservation Club located in Sellersburg, IN, which is approximately 25 minutes north of Louisville, KY. The Silver Creek Club has held several

Area 5 Championships and other sectional matches in years past.

Last years match was one of the top 5 attended sectional and state matches with 194 competitors from all over the country and included over 20 Master

and Grand Master Class shooters competing in all USPSA divisions. This year we are expecting to host over 200 competitors from all over including several of

the top name shooters in the country.

This year’s match will be a Level II with 10 courses of fire requiring a minimum of 250 rounds of ammunition. Indiana Section Coordinator David Ball will

again be the Match Director. David has brought back the same experienced team of volunteers from last year to put this match together guaranteeing it again be

a top quality match and one of the most talked about shooting competitions this year.

(For more information on USPSA Matches please visit www.uspsa.org and click on the USPSA video link in the center of the page to view a video. Also visit www.uspsa.org/nssf/industry_intelligence_reports.pdf for a marketing survey on USPSA shooters)

We are looking for your participation and support for this year’s match by being a sponsor. To be a sponsor we are in need of donations of firearms,

merchandise, ammunition, reloading supplies, certificates, and firearm and shooting related accessories.

We are in need of a Match Sponsor and Stage Sponsors. We will also have Gold, Silver and Bronze Level Sponsors, broken down like this:

Gold Level Sponsor $300 or more in donations

Silver Level Sponsor $150-$299 in donations

Bronze Level Sponsor $25-$149 in donations

To Sponsor a Stage it is $600 or more in donations or financial support. Stage Sponsors will have their supplied banners at the

stage and will be announced as a stage sponsor to each squad of shooters throughout the entire 3 days of competition. If you are interested

in being the Match Sponsor please contact me ASAP.

Additional information is supplied with the Sponsor Agreement and Application attachment sent with this email or fax. If you have any questions or require

additional information please contact me ASAP.

All of this means nothing really becuase unless you have the correct contact person most of these end up in the trash. These companies get hit up several times to several hundred times a week.

You have to get a contact, email address, fax number, phone number and mailing address.

I start by sending out emails and faxes 6 months in advance of the events cut off date (which I set 2 weeks out from the match) I then follow up with phone calls and then send the request through the mail. At 3-4 months out I will send an update with links to the website, stages etc.

I also include any marketing information that I can in this update.

Then at 1-2 months out I work the phones and the fax machine and email again.

Alot of times you have to follow up with companies or people that say get back to me, or promise something and you just need to remind them that the event is around the corner.

I set the dollar amounts so really any company can participate as a sponsor, even with a discount coupon you will get listed as a Bronze Sponsor.

So where do you get all the contacts, here is the best place

http://www.shotshow.com/app/homepage.cfm?m...aignID=41436457

The Shot Show website Exhibitor List. It has the list of the reps from the company, website address, phone, fax and mailing address.

Also any company that has an ad in a gun magazine, hunting magazine etc.

My email address book is 32 pages long and I have two 3 inch ring binders with contact information.

The once you get the right person to listen to you, you have to explain what you are going to do for them in return for their support.

There are all of my trade secrets. I will tell you that you need to be able to handle being told NO alot, or not getting call backs, or no responses at all.

I have done this for the past 5 years and have decided to hang it up and retire.

Besides I usually start this in the winter months and my wife wants to park in the garage next winter :)

• 2 months later...

Guys,

I have read and re-read all of these posts so that I can soak-up all of the info that you gave to me.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

I am trying to get my head into all of this planning early so that I can do the best I can at making a good match. Hopefully, all will work out.

Thanks agaim.

Matt

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried to sponsor a forthcoming event and was basically told that what I wanted to give was not acceptable. Review of standard contract first thing I noticed that there are already several major shooting events are more expensive than the nationals with much less advertising services back to the promoter.

My company was a sponsor to a match this summer we donated almost 500.00 to the prize table and paid for 3 entries. I got absolutely NOTHING from the match. We received no adds, no mention of our company at the award event, not even a listing on the prize list even though we signed on 6 months in advance and had contact with the match director at other matches and talked about our sponsorship. Our product was one of the highest priced items on the prize table. We have had similar problems at the Nationals (two years in a row) and that is why we make and effort to spend our sponsorship money on NON-USPSA matches.

David

Edited

Sorry I did not want to confuse or mislead, the match in question was NOT a USPSA Match.

Edited by ffl

My company was a sponsor to a match this summer we donated almost 500.00 to the prize table and paid for 3 entries. I got absolutely NOTHING from the match. We received no adds, no mention of our company at the award event, not even a listing on the prize list even though we signed on 6 months in advance and had contact with the match director at other matches and talked about our sponsorship. Our product was one of the highest priced items on the prize table. We have had similar problems at the Nationals (two years in a row) and that is why we make and effort to spend our sponsorship money on NON-USPSA matches.

David

I am a new match director with a plan to run major matches at my club and it is sad to hear things like this. When I run a match you will know what you will get for your advertising before you donate and then follow up with my promise.

David

David, I was the match director at the Area 5 this year and we had a nice website with all our sponsors, had them in the match book and also put up banners and made table space available for our sponsors. I'm going to assist MD for next year's A5 at PASA PARK. If you would be willing to give a USPSA event, one more shot, I can guarantee your company will be visible on all match literature and if your, "level of participation" warrants it, your will have banners in place and a vendor table as well. I still have all this years sponsors running on the website and have over 13,000 hits on it from potential clients. I expect to see 400 shooters at the event.

Give us a shot David and we'll do right by you... You have my word on it.

If you wish to discuss benefits and services, you can PM me or email me here

Jim Thompson

MD A5 Championship 2010

AS MD A5 Championship 2011

MD A5 Championship 2012

Edited by JThompson

GEM,

The above wasn't only a pitch for sponsorship, I was using it as an example of how to get people interested. You need to do several things... the first is to tell the potential sponsor about yourself and the match. How many shooters do you expect, what are the levels of sponsorship and what do they get for each. Who is the contact if I have problem? Do they get table space, banners, are the listed on all match material? Prize tables or drawing...? If there isn't no prize table do you mention sponsors at the shooters meeting, do you have there product on display with their name at registration?

Then after you make those promises... KEEP THEM!

Sorry about the stream of consciousnesses there, but am in a hurry, have billing to do. lol

PS I also followed up that post with a call to David and we spoke for 15 mins or so. He's a nice guy and is at least "thinking" about possibly giving us another shot. I've invited him to A5 next year and I hope he will take us up on the offer.

JT

Edited by JThompson