Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local match fees

wooddog

for member, $30.00 non- member- 35.00

Holy crap! Somebody paying for their bullets with these matches?

$5 bucks a stage don't sound too bad especially if you can start early (around 8 am) and finish early (about 10:00 am) depending on the shooter count and you don't have to help with set up or break down (though i stick around to help so i can pick the local GM's mind for useful sometimes funny info :P ).

• 1 month later...

Albany Rifle & Pistol Club charges $17 for grown-ups, and a reduced fee for Juniors. We used to charge folks that helped setup $5.

All stage construction and tear down is contracted out, paying the setup/tear down folks $2 per shooter out of the $17 match fee.

We also pay our scorekeeper either $1 or $2 per shooter as well, I forget which, because I haven't done stats in a while.

Normally 6 stages including a classifier.

TGibby nailed it, the Emmett, Idaho USPSA club charges $5 for a monthly steel match and $7 for a monthly USPSA match. We also put on the annual Idaho "Glocks Only" State Championship match for a measley $20 for a nine stage, 260 round match every April. :surprise:

Q: How can you afford to lose money like that?

A: Volume.

:roflol:

Volume is part of it. It also depends on the club "situation" and/or what they are trying to put on.

New clubs or clubs that are building out and having to accumulate everything from target stands on up generally need to charge more so they can make money to buy props/supplies.

Well appointed and/or long standing clubs that already have a building full of poppers, swingers, drop-turners, etc can afford to charge less.

A match that consists only of paper with maybe one or two poppers over the whole match and no props can run a pretty inexpensive match that will "keep 'em staying away in droves" once everyone gets bored. I know of a club that used to charge $20 for a 4 stage, mostly paper, hastily designed stages. Lots of people shot there, once. They turned it around and now draw decently for the same fee.

A match that has challenging, well designed stages using props and whatnot is more expensive to put on but generally keeps 'em coming back for more.

Locally we charge $10 for both steel and USPSA (+$5 for 6 stage classifiers). Each is a minimum of 4 stages but during warmer months we throw in more stages and/or side matches if there is enough help there to setup/tear down.

We used to charge $7 and were barely making money on steel and losing money on USPSA so we bumped it to $10 (takes care of a lot of that nasty chore of making change at sign-up too) and now generate a tiny profit on USPSA and a decent profit on steel. We use the steel proceeds to fund purchasing more steel and other props.

Bigger clubs will also find an economy of scale in that they can afford to purchase and store more than three or four boxes of targets at a time and get the cost down a bit more.

One factor that must be considered is the cost of general operations.

NJ, We lease our range, it is EXPENSIVE to lease and insure.

Our indoor facility is ours, but also is expensive to keep up. It is expensive to heat in the Winter and cool in the Summer. Plus Taxes and Insuarance.

Still membership is only a dollar a day!

Our section has a set fee schedule of $20 for USPSA members and $25 for non members, Clubs may offer a discount to shooters for a variety of reasons.

Consider the cost on the ground for a 7 Stage match (our standard at Old Bridge)

100 targets per match, water for the shooters, tape, printing for scoresheets, USPSA fees, Prizes.

Annualized cost of fence secctions for walls, sticks to attach targets, maintenence of steel, movers, tractor, trailers, website, etc.

How a club can build even a 4 stage all paper match for $7 is byeond my understanding. Even if I owned the range and donated it's use. I would still have to have an insuarance policy that would have some cost, again unless there is a Daddy Warbucks in the background.

Jim

I shoot IDPA and USPSA at 8 to 10 clubs a year here in MI over the normal year. The average is $20... with $25 for a special classifier or $15 for a smaller club match. The vast majority discount fees $5 per match for club members to promote menbership in the clubs. That is generally a 5 - 7 stage match

One GREAT IDPA club in Mt. Pleasant, MI....(my home club)....charges $15 and $20 and has a full 10 stage state championship quality match EVERY MONTH.

I think it's strange that State, sectional, regional etc. matches in IDPA and USPSA vary so much in price... In this sate last year the range was from $75 to $125....

I'd like to see---- A early bird price... a regular price... and a last minute price...

We only have one local club that owns it's own range, so the majority of our match fees are dictated by the range owner/land owner. Even with that, we are able to keep or average match fee about $15 for a 4-6 stage match.

• 4 years later...

Three of the local matches I attend charge $15 the fourth charges $20 but they use the additional $5 to feed everyone after the match. Its really quite nice to tear down and have a warm bowl of chili on a cold day! They have had some pretty darn good spreads!

I should add that all matches have at least 5 stages with the exception of one. One match has 4 stages typically but that will soon change once the club finds bigger accommodations .

Edited by tackdr1ver

• 2 weeks later...

4 stages + a classifier, ~110 rounds. $20 for club members and $25 for non-members. Spose or other family members shoot for $10. All our prices used to be $5 less but after 15 years most of our infrastructure needs repair or replacement. Oh also, first timers shoot for free.

I was just wondering what people pay around the country. Here in the Northeast $20.00 seems to be the norm for 4 or 5 and sometimes 6 stages. Always quality stages too I might add!

Depends on the club.

USPSA is usually $22 bucks or so and $3 of that is a classifier.

IDPA is usually $16

Three gun is $25 for your first division and an extra $10 if you want to shoot two divisions.

Steel is $15 and $10 each additional division.

Match fees are no big deal when I spend about $100 driving to and from the various matches that are 90 to 150 miles away.

Edited by Alaskapopo

We have 3 Sunday matches a month at our range. $20 member, $25 non-member for 6 stages. Thursday night match consists of 4 stages for $10. Now I know why Thursday night matches have such a high attendance.

• 6 years later...

bump... seems prices havent changed much in the last 8-10yrs. I run an indoor, 4 stage, match, once a month. We have to pay the indoor range for the use of 2 bays, classifier entry, and targets/pasters/staples/sticks/etc. $25 and $30 member/non-member.