Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear Protection

JKSNIPER

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this IPSC stuff.

I'm John and a police officer here in NY, Suffolk County.

My son and I shot in a couple matches at the LI Prac. Shooting club at Gabreski Airbase in Westhampton a while back and we plan on shooting in more this year.

Hope to meet some of you at them.

My question is what sort of ear protection does everyone use here?

I have a set of Peltors (Electronic) that I use but do they go bad?

It seems to me that they just don't feel like they're diminishing the sound the way they used to when I first got them.

I can't afford to lose anymore of my hearing than I already have.

I already use ear plugs in conjunction with the headset.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals.

JK

Welcome JK

There are a lot of clubs and games to shoot around your area.

The cups or part around your ear crack and wear so most of them can be replaced. I just buy a new pair but I don't use electronic muffs. Yours are probably worn. I also use plugs and the -30 Db Peltnors and have no hearing loss even though I also played in R&R bands.

PS Keep your mouth closed while shooting too.

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this IPSC stuff.

I'm John and a police officer here in NY, Suffolk County.

My son and I shot in a couple matches at the LI Prac. Shooting club at Gabreski Airbase in Westhampton a while back and we plan on shooting in more this year.

Hope to meet some of you at them.

My question is what sort of ear protection does everyone use here?

I have a set of Peltors (Electronic) that I use but do they go bad?

It seems to me that they just don't feel like they're diminishing the sound the way they used to when I first got them.

I can't afford to lose anymore of my hearing than I already have.

I already use ear plugs in conjunction with the headset.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals.

JK

I don't think they will stop protecting your hearing, unless they are not sealing as the poster above said. On the other hand they won't work as well letting normal sounds in when the batteries get old. Replace them to see if it helps.

Edited by lugnut

Hi John,

i use the peltor tac6 but i am thinking about getting the msa sordin supremes they have better sound amplification imho..

i will be shooting on Sunday at LIPSA at westhampton beach this coming sunday hope to see you there

August

I've used to use a pair of Radians until they developed a crackling problem in both ears, so I switched to Howard Leight Impacts. The Impacts don't amplify quite as well as the Radians but I like that they shut off automatically after 4 hours so you don't have to worry about forgetting to shut them off and killing the batteries.

I'll be at the LIPSA this weekend too along with August. He'll be the one shooting fast and hitting, I'll be the one shooting slow and missing. highfive.gif See you there!

- Glenn

I've used to use a pair of Radians until they developed a crackling problem in both ears, so I switched to Howard Leight Impacts. The Impacts don't amplify quite as well as the Radians but I like that they shut off automatically after 4 hours so you don't have to worry about forgetting to shut them off and killing the batteries.

I'll be at the LIPSA this weekend too along with August. He'll be the one shooting fast and hitting, I'll be the one shooting slow and missing. highfive.gif See you there!

- Glenn

Don't know if I'll make it there this weekend.

Working 3-11 tours but I'm definitely planning on attending more matches than I have in the past.

The padding in the ear pro seems ok but they ARE old.

Changed the batteries a short time ago and I'm alwas careful to shut them down before putting them away.

Maybe its time to go with another pair from a different manufacturer.

JK

Hi John,

if you're already double-plugging, there's not much more you can do.

You could perhaps check if the pads are sealing or not: goggles arms are usually the culprit here, having to slide under the pads and not allowing for perfect sealing. A possible solution could be to use gel/silicone filled pads, that will conform to your temples profile while wearing goggles.

Or, you could try and reduce the bulk of goggles arms: I removed the plastic cover from the arms of my Rudy project glasses, bringing them back to needle-like rods.

For double plugging, I'd advice to get some custom ear molded plugs instead of using normal foam ones.

+1 for Luca`s post. I always double plug except when I RO. I like the feeling of being alone while shooting and not hearing any distracting noises. (even the RO going "stop")

+100 for not wanting to lose more hearing, you spend so much time sitting under a noisy siren and other noises so protect what you have left. After 20 years the word most commonly used by me is "Huh".

Hey John, I use the Peltor's as well. They do make a replacement set of cushions for them, I think theyre around $10.00 or less. I had mine for about 2 years until last years nationals finally did them in. It rained alot during the nationals and they were practically submerged a few times. I just bought a new pair from Shooter Connection, a smoking price @ about $65.00 plus shipping. It still came in cheaper than any other company around. I think most are retailing around $90.00, some places a little cheaper, until you add in the shipping costs. I think I paid $72.00 shipped. I was a little skeptical thinking they might be some different version, gotem last week, same model, same great sound. I like the peltors because they are just about the slimest electronic ears Ive found. Very economicaly priced and the biggest advantage of having them is being able to hear the audibles (ding on steel or start beep), or hearing issues with your firearm (squib). Just my 2 cents, H

Edited by hf219

I've had a pair of Peltor 6s's for over two years. About my only complaint is that the on/off/volume knobs seem to get nudged in my range bag and turn themselves on. That may mean some new batteries but that is the only down side.

I find them to be very good at reducing the loud noise of shots yet let me easily hear all other sounds. I do double plug when I am practicing since I shoot an Open blaster these days. However, I just use the muffs by themselves when at matches and haven't noticed any real increase in the magnitude of the shot sounds.

I value my hearing as much as anyone. The Peltors keep the maximum noise volume well within acceptable limits. For the money, I don't think they can be beat.

Would recommend the MSA Sordin Supreme Pros for regular use. I think they have the best electronics. This matters as they can make wearing the headset less noticeable. I sometimes shoot an open gun and they have been sufficient. The only time where I feel the need to double plug is shooting indoors within a booth where the walls amplify the blast somewhat. It's not a problem when I shoot indoor matches and don't have the side walls to deal with. The gel seals they sell make a better seal.

You can buy them at http://www.csuk.us/

For rifle and shotgun I use some plugs that were made for me by a lady at the Whittington Center. You have to ask the RO to hold the timer close, or you may not hear it.

For pistol shooting, I stopped using the electronic ones, because my ears had a ringing effect for hours after shooting a match or practice. And I kept fresh batteries in them all the time.

For my personal preference I have gone to two different muffs, One is from Howard Leight and is a 28 or 29, and the other is a pair with the Remington Name on them ( I think they are made by Howard Leight) and they are rated at a 31 !!! They really cut down the gun blast, especially from my open gun. Both sets are a little bulky, but I like the extra protection they offer. I think a lot of places carry them, but Midway and Sportsman Whse has both. About 25-30.00.

Good Luck !

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

I have received some good advice here and I think I have some things to try out.

Ref: Double ear pro.

I started using the plugs and muffs combined after I went for my annual physical exam and after the hearing test nurse Ratched informed me that my hearing had degraded considerably from when I was hired and is there a reason for that?

My response was to remind her what I do for a living and about the 2 explosions I was involved in and the gunshots etc....

She then recommended doubling up on the ear pro and I started doing so.

The problem was When I did double it up I coulden't hear ANYTHING. No range commands unless the R.O. wass tanding right behind me and using his command voice.

Enter the electronic muffs.

Another cop has someone in his family that works at an audiology center where they make these custom ear plugs that supposedly work the absolute best.

The price is expensive.

I will get a number and post it here in case anyone else is interested.

Thanks again.

JK