Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are you 50 years old?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had it done 2 years ago at age 38 while having surgery done to repair a few tears in my abdominal wall. Doc said I could get it done early, and since I was already KO'ed, he'd just roll me over and have at it. Every 10 years now, no sooner, no later if at all possible. Glad it's over for another 8 years now.

JZ, unless you have a family history of colon cancer, 38 yo is too early. Everyone should have a screening colonscopy at age 50.

I believe Chuck Bradley is referring to virtual colonosocpy, and I agree with Kimel- if a polyp is found, someone will still have to go in after it.

Edited to add:

There are some exceptions. JZ, send me a PM if you still have concerns.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Had mine a couple of years ago...asked the doctor to turn the television screen so I could see it...was more interesting than any episode of "Friends" I ever saw...

Michael B

I was out cold. The last thing I remember is the nurse inserting the needle with the "mild sedative" into the IV. I must be a light weight.

Edited by Steve J

• 1 month later...

Had it done Monday. 1 found, came back benign. see ya in 5 yrs. 90 minutes from checkin to checkout. I woke up for some of it and vaguely remember watching it on the tv. It really isn't a big deal. Can't say that for the day before. My prep consisted of 4 laxatives, and some rx powder that I had to mix with a gallon of crystal light. I was full before i finished the gallon and some decided it didn't want to stay in and exited the way it went in. Some grape flavored citrate of magnesia the next morning and that was it. Big Steak Dinner afterwards!!

I see my doctor on the 26th to find out if I get scoped again in three months or if I should have surgery and get a section removed. I have had UC for over ten years and recently had a polyp removed from the same spot i had one in 6 months ago. Frankly I rather just go ahead and have the surgery. Hopefully I won't have to wear a bag for awhile or end up with a J Pouch.

• 3 months later...

A forum member sent me a PM recently. He had his colonoscopy, and his doctor found a polyp. I'm glad he had it done and shared his experience with me. Hopefully, this thread will persuade more people to have theirs done.

I find polyps quite frequently. Most are benign. And most are very easy to remove.

Since I started this thread I found another cancer. It's always better to catch it early before it has spread. The patient I'm talking about didn't want to have it done. His wife is a nurse, and she made him get it done. He had no symptoms whatsoever. He'll get it cut out, have future screenings and live to tell about it.

Our local MRI clinic(if thats what they are called) advertised the other day they could do a colonoscopy using the MRI. They called it a non-evasive colonoscopy. May have the terminology wrong. Are these as good and really that non-evasive?

Chuck - Assume for the sake of argument that it is as good.

If they find something you'll need a second appointment which means another day of starving and crapping to get ready.

Ask you doc what the odds are they will find something, then do the math before you roll the dice.

Had mine earlier this year. Pretty nice visit compared to my only other visits to the doctor.

Once for my hand in a corn auger, once for an accident that shattered the bones in my left shoulder, and two skin cancer visits. This one was pleasant and had a good ending.

Man I hate the sound of crunching bones as they get re-set.

Patrick Sweeney

After re-reading my post, that does look bad doesn't it. No bones got set during my colonoscopy - just commenting on how the porceedure was really nothing compared to what most people go to the doctor for. Heck, I think getting a filling is worse than this was.

If I ever saw something that big through a camera, I'd check the basement for pods.

I've had a colonoscopy, broken bones, root canals and kidney stones. (Not all at once, thank god.)

If I had to choose, the colonoscopy would be first on the list. Nice drugs, pretty nurses and no pain.

Yep, mine looked just like one in the last photo.

It started of with bouts of either bad diarrhea or complete constipation, almost like a blockage. My wife forced me to go for the medical indignity and now I get to throw up my toenails every second week. Such is life I guess.

She made it through breast cancer and now it is my turn. I wil beat this into a pulp, just like anything else that stands in my families way.