Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my slide lightened

big daddy

post-6882-1199586731.jpgpost-6882-1199586592.jpgpost-6882-1199586622.jpgpost-6882-1199586678.jpgI have two uppers for one frame, one is 9mm and one is 40. I shoot the 9mm only for practice and the 40 in matches. both are 6in slides. when I had them built I didn't lighten them at all because I already have benny hill fat free. After shooting both guns for a couple years the fat free is a little quicker so I decited to lighten them up. I did the 9mm first just in case I didn't like what I had done. What do you think did I make it ugly? shoud I take more off? If yes where should I take it from? Should I do the 40. the same way or different Edited by big daddy

your front side fish scales dont look very good, you went over the line on the top. The also should come forward another row to e even with the natural step. The top looks cool you might be able to remove some more from the top.

Shot it today and it feels a little lighter but I think it could be lighter still. I'm just not shure were to take the weight from.

The reverse plug tunnel, or whatever you call it, could lose a little weight.

you can always do a berreta style slide cut, make a cut that shows some of the recoil guide rod plug (but still keeps it in place ;) ), thin the slide down some, make cuts that expose the extractor and firing pin, etc, etc.

You can make quite a few more cuts but a lightened slide is gonna feel totally different from what you first started out with. cut carefully cuz there ain't no turnin back ;)

one other thing to remember, a cut down/lightened slide has a tendency to crack sooner than an uncut slide.

• 1 month later...