dirtypool40

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New addition to the family, I just finished it today. My first ever, so the jury is still out. 150 rds today with no problems, standing position 4" steel plates at 50 yards are no problem. I plan to shoot it for a while to be sure there are no issues before I send off to IonBond for a full stealth treatment. I will post the after pics. Here is the rundown. STI Slide and frame, 6" Shuemann AET .40 S&W, Briley Bushing, Aftec, Dawson, Extreme Engineering, Ed Brown, EGW and a some shooters connection stuff. I cut the slide and frame on my HURCO VMX64 vertical machining center, kinda funny seeing that little slide in a 50,000Lb. Machine :rolleyes: The pistol ended up weighing 37oz.

post-14875-1245901390_thumb.jpg

post-14875-1245901434_thumb.jpg

New addition to the family, I just finished it today. My first ever, so the jury is still out. 150 rds today with no problems, standing position 4" steel plates at 50 yards are no problem. I plan to shoot it for a while to be sure there are no issues before I send off to IonBond for a full stealth treatment. I will post the after pics. Here is the rundown. STI Slide and frame, 6" Shuemann AET .40 S&W, Briley Bushing, Aftec, Dawson, Extreme Engineering, Ed Brown, EGW and a some shooters connection stuff. I cut the slide and frame on my HURCO VMX64 vertical machining center, kinda funny seeing that little slide in a 50,000Lb. Machine :rolleyes: The pistol ended up weighing 37oz.

post-14875-1245901390_thumb.jpg

post-14875-1245901434_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the club.

Nice blaster

Thanks for the compliments guys, you will have to excuse the crappy photos, if I get some better lighting I'll post some more. I can't wait to shoot my first match with it, I bought four STI mags but have not bought any new followers, springs or basepads yet, I did not realize I would need an arbor press to put 20 rounds in them!!

I bought four STI mags but have not bought any new followers, springs or basepads yet, I did not realize I would need an arbor press to put 20 rounds in them!!

You only need a 48 ounce ball peen hammer, not an arbor press :D Other normal machine shop tools will make the 20+ rounds easier.

Nice job on the blaster :cheers:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update time. I posted this one in it's earlier configuration.

I've reduced and stippled the grip since the last pics and continued to work on the weight:

Started out as a 6" bull barrel and in an effort to reduce weight I had previously fluted it, then turned down the middle to .584" (OD as a bushing barrel) leaving the end full diameter for lock up. Still trying to get the weight off the front end I back bored the muzzle end one inch to .5312" diameter.

(edit out fluff)

post-8536-1256345987_thumb.jpg

post-8536-1256345999_thumb.jpg

post-8536-1256346011_thumb.jpg

Edited by want2race

I've reduced and stippled the grip since the last pics and continued to work on the weight:

Started out as a 6" bull barrel and in an effort to reduce weight I had previously fluted it, then turned down the middle to .584" (OD as a bushing barrel) leaving the end full diameter for lock up. Still trying to get the weight off the front end I back bored the muzzle end one inch to .5312" diameter.

(edit out fluff)

Truly one of a kind, and the backbored muzzle is interesting to say the least. I bet some people would think this to be a 50 cal :goof:

(edit out fluff)

I like it. Never been a fan of the swiss cheese looking slides. Do you think back boring, cut enough weight to justify loosing the other advantages of having a 6" barrel?

(edit out fluff)

I like it. Never been a fan of the swiss cheese looking slides. Do you think back boring, cut enough weight to justify loosing the other advantages of having a 6" barrel?

Using a slow powder and light slide it's possible that accuracy will increase by having the bullet out of the hole sooner. Then again, it could go the other way with the gas blow by in the last inch. I only gained 1 power factor by adding an extra inch (5" to 6") so there really was no real big velocity gain. I'm not expecting much loss, I will test and report.

May be a silly question, but why are all the 6" guns short dustcovers? I get it if its solely about the weight out forward, but full dustcover 5" guns are still big and some of the 6" are cut way past that. Then again, some of the non-skeletonized bushing housing look heavy enough to come close to a full dustcover. I really like the look of a full dustcover- is this impossible or too heavy with a 6" gun?

• 2 weeks later...

+1

A full long and wide dust cover on a 6" would be massive. The goal in a 6" gun is to gain an inch of sight radius while having the same weight and feel of a 5" gun. Then, you have no disadvantages. Even a 5" gun with long and wide dust cover was heavier than I liked so I cut the dust cover down. Here's a photo of a 5" gun I recently did for a customer along side of a 6" gun I did for another guy. The 5" has a wide dust cover I cut down, the 6" had a standard dust cover, not a wide. The 5" gun still weighs more than the 6".

post-13561-1257554048_thumb.jpg

Edited by kgunz11

Yeah Bobby, I agree. When I first got my Tac Sport (5 1/2" full dustcover) I was a newbie and I liked the way all that weight absorbed recoil. When I switch to it now from my Open gun it feels pretty darn sluggish.