Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Deal With Bulged Cases...

EricW

• 2 months later...

Hey Eric,

Come to think of it, a local guy here used to roll size them and they looked great, BUT, everytime I would shoot them, I would get 20-30 case head separations in 1000 rounds. The second I stopped using them, I don't get any. Obviously I stopped using them, but he swears the roll sizing puts them back in factory spec and gets the bulge out, but then again it creates a new problem with case heads. Don't know anything about roll sizing, but it has to be something.

:unsure:

We have talked to several customers that have experienced case separations when using roll sized .40 brass. Most were loading 200 grain bullets. Our best guess is that the cases are work hardening at the point of over-expansion. Most separations seemed to occur after only one or two reloadings.

I have to wonder if in the roll-sizing process the die is actually putting a microscopic groove or grooves around the circumference of the case - creating a stress concentrator(s). It's the only reason I can think of that roll-sized brass would have prompt case separations, versus the folks who use undersized dies and seem to get good longevity.

Just a theory...

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is mentioned a lot before by others, but this is my way i handle bulged cases.

Brassman's .40 brass is cheap. For me it's just a little les cheap because it has to be shipped overseas.

First thing i do when i receive the package is decap and size all brass on my Hornady single stage press.

Herefore i use the EGW U-die.

After that i reload on a Dillon SD.

I can't remember i ever run into problems.

Brass that has been shot through my G35 with stockbarrel is resized on the EGW die.

The brass i shot with the G35 with Barsto barrel will be reloaded directly on the Dillon.

Greetings

Adrie