Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IOR Valdada 1.5-8 x 26

Scout454

Does anyone on the forum have experience with the IOR 1.5 to 8 scope?

Is it a true 1.5 to8?

How is the clarity?

Is it repeatable?

Is the reticle in the first or second plane?

Not sure about the focal plane being first or second, however I can vouch for the IOR's excellent clarity and repeatability!!! I have the 3-18 x 42 on my .308 and it easily matches clarity or the leupold scopes. You can't go wrong with this scope, I am actually considering getting one for my AR after the first ofthe year. PM me if you are interested and I can give you contact info with some of the best prices anywhere.

Hope this helps,

Steve

• 1 month later...

A buddy just got one of these scopes and shot it at Benning this past weekend. He shoots tactical-optics, but needs more glass for aging eyes. He zeroed the CQB reticle dot at 200 and the hold-over lines were right on at 300 and 400. I think he only had one or two misses (with quick follow up hits) out to 400 on the long range rifle stage. The scope is heavy at 22oz. He says that he wishes it had a day-time illuminated optic like the Meopta and a little better eye relief, but overall he loves the scope. He switched from a Meopta Kdot 1-4X. Nick-

Nick -

Are you referring to Jeff's 1.5 to 8 or another scope?

I had a (brief) chance to look through Jeff's 1.5-8 at Benning. Eye relief at 1.5 to 4 or so seemed ok. At 8 it was around 2 inches - a bit close but doable.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this scope and I would rather have a 1X on the low end but with my 60 year old eyes I really appreciate the

8X on the top end of the magnification. I made the change from a Meopta K-dot which is really a fine scope but it

doesn't have holdover marks like the IOR.

Cactus tactical sells the IOR CQB with their custom reticle calibrated in yards while there is another model of this

scope calibrated in mil dots.

I think the yardage calibrations are much more practical for our use. The upside down horseshoe is very quick for close-in

targets and you just go to the dot or hold overs for the longer targets.

The only thing this scope needs is an extended knob to change magnification, it is difficult to turn especially in cold

weather.

The scope is heavy, so I built my rifle as light as possible to keep the overall weight down to an acceptable level for

my personal needs.

We had discussions with the engineer while this scope was under design consideration several years ago. We asked for the lower end to be a true 1 power. We were told that if done, the scope would not have an upper end of 8 power. It would have been more a 1-5.5 or 1-6. Valdada already has the 1.1 - 4, so there was really no reason to create a scope that was an extension of an existing product.

Given that the design was reaching for a mid range product dipping down to a CQB style scope, everyone felt that the 1.5 - 8 was a good compromise. Going to the 35mm tube has opened up 6 power magnification possibilities ( 2 - 12, 3 - 18, etc), but has also increased the overall weight.

The engineers could do a 1 - 8 or possibly a 1- 10 in their 40 mm tube body, but the weight would be prohibitive for running and gunning. I have one of the new 4 - 28's on a 50 cal, the scope must weigh between 1.5 and 2 lbs.

• 1 month later...
A buddy just got one of these scopes and shot it at Benning this past weekend. He shoots tactical-optics, but needs more glass for aging eyes. He zeroed the CQB reticle dot at 200 and the hold-over lines were right on at 300 and 400. I think he only had one or two misses (with quick follow up hits) out to 400 on the long range rifle stage. The scope is heavy at 22oz. He says that he wishes it had a day-time illuminated optic like the Meopta and a little better eye relief, but overall he loves the scope. He switched from a Meopta Kdot 1-4X. Nick-

Nick,

I just bought one of these scopes and I was going to zero it at 200 yards as well. I was wondering what weight bullet your buddy shot to get the 300 and 400 yard lines to still be on.

P.S. Cactus Tactical is the place to buy this scope, the service is very good.

Albert

Edited by ap3

Nick et al -

Is the 1.5-8 first or second focal plane? I.e., does the reticle stay the same size when you increase the power or does it increase with the power ?

Looking at the center dot in the CQB reticle, how big is the dot? I.e., what does it "cover" at 100 yards?

I've had the scope about a month , I really like it , from Cactis Tactical. Its a little slower up close than a C-more but not much, but when you can dial it in, its as good at 300 as a 3X9 LE. (as far out as I can go). I've been told its set up for a 62 gr but have only used 55gr and its worked fine. the dot changes with distance. smaller as you go out. The cb shooters match will be the real test for me.

Piper,

Can you give me an idea of how big the dot is at 1.5 power? 2 MOA, 4 - what does it cover at 50 yards (or better yet, 100)?

This is from the manuel for the scope

Center dot diameter 1.5 MOA

Line thickness .5 MOA

The center dot covers 1.5" at 100 yards on 8x, at 4x the dot covers 3"

Hope this helps.

Piper, thanks for the info

Edited by ap3

Piper,

Can you give me an idea of how big the dot is at 1.5 power? 2 MOA, 4 - what does it cover at 50 yards (or better yet, 100)?

This is from the manuel for the scope

Center dot diameter 1.5 MOA

Line thickness .5 MOA

The center dot covers 1.5" at 100 yards on 8x, at 4x the dot covers 3"

Hope this helps.

Piper, thanks for the info

Thanks!

i'd love to try one of these, saw one at the SHOT show last year. is it just available w/the horseshoe reticle, or can you get just stadia lines? and like everybody else asks, does it have a 1st or 2nd plane reticle? for a match w/some long shots(like ft. benning), this might be the shizzit!

Don't forget this scope has a 35mm tube which limits your ring choices.

I was thinking of getting this scope then I remembered how much I hated the 1.5x in my Leup for the close stuff and that's why I switched to the IOR 1.1x-4x.

i'd love to try one of these, saw one at the SHOT show last year. is it just available w/the horseshoe reticle, or can you get just stadia lines?

The 1.5 - 8 is also available with what is called the 'red dot plex' reticle. This is basically a duplex reticle with an illuminated dot in the center. The dot is not visible in full day light. We have been asking for day time illumination for several years, but the engineers have not yet made that available. This scope is not yet available with the MP8 ( Mil line) reticle.

It comes with V-Tac rings, Low medium or high. With a good steel mag( mono pod) and good ammo, I got 1" in groups at 100 yards.8X , 2" at 4X and 4" at 1.5 .

Up close I'm trying it with the rubber lens cap on and the Light On. both eyes open, looks a lot like the meoptia, A dot with vertical and horizontal lines. I've had mixed results, some times it works real well, Wish the light was brighter. I hope its a cloudy day.

Up close I'm trying it with the rubber lens cap on and the Light On. both eyes open, looks a lot like the meoptia, A dot with vertical and horizontal lines. I've had mixed results, some times it works real well, Wish the light was brighter. I hope its a cloudy day.

WAY COOL!!!!! I swear I am such a novice at rifle shooting. I tried this technique just now with the lens cap on and both eye open and it worked great for me. I am left eye dominate, but shoot right handed and right eyes, so this technique work well. Now all I need is a way to get the lens cap off fast when I have CQB and distant targets.

I am loving this scope more every day

Went to the range today, always fun.

But , the technique with the lens cap did not work worth a damn. Every thing was going to the left When I took off the lens cap everything was fine. Nice cloudy day , could see the red dot real well.

Still like it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick,

I just bought one of these scopes and I was going to zero it at 200 yards as well. I was wondering what weight bullet your buddy shot to get the 300 and 400 yard lines to still be on.

Albert

Albert,

My buddy Jim zeroed his IOR with the Georgia Arms 55gr. Nosler BT load (canned heat). As I understand it, GA has discontinued use of the NBT bullet and has gone to a Hornady 55gr. Vmax bullet. He runs an 18" 1:9 twist Colt Hbar chrome lined bbl with JP comp. This load had no problem moving the flash target at 350+ yards. Jim did get his IOR from Cactus Tactical and has been very happy with his purchase.

Nick-

Nick,

Albert

Albert,

My buddy Jim zeroed his IOR with the Georgia Arms 55gr. Nosler BT load (canned heat). As I understand it, GA has discontinued use of the NBT bullet and has gone to a Hornady 55gr. Vmax bullet. He runs an 18" 1:9 twist Colt Hbar chrome lined bbl with JP comp. This load had no problem moving the flash target at 350+ yards. Jim did get his IOR from Cactus Tactical and has been very happy with his purchase.

Nick-

Thanks Nick

Does this scope have a tinted or colored lense? I would think the holdovers are only good at X power? True? If so what power are they good at?

Holdover references should be good at any magnification. If the scope is SFP (I'm not sure if anyone ever verified FFP or SFP on the IOR?) you would use max magnification for range estimation. If it's first focal plane, you could estimate with any magnification.

FWIW, I've found that you don't necessarily need more magnification for longer shots, you need a clearer image. That's why I went with a Nightforce 1-4x and have been very pleased, no sweat to hit the long steel at Benning. I know Nightforce is pricey, but it's the best I've found for 3-gun (IMHO of course). It's second focal plane, which I like as the reticle appears smaller and more precise for distance shots. It looks nice and big for the close stuff on low power and the image is ultra clear. The fov is enormous at 1x (it's a true 1x)