Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

I didn't clean it up, and don't claim to be much of a photographer, but here goes.....

I was fortunate to grab a corner of my basement for this. I built a wall, and re-installed some cabinets that I pulled from another area when I moved into this house. I do all my reloading on the right side of my shop, and miscellaneous stuff like gun cleaning, polishing brass, trimming brass, etc on the left side of the shop. The rack straight ahead gets most of the supplies I use on a regular basis like bullets, and new brass. I try to keep a shelf for each of the main calibers I reload, and then one shelf for miscellaneous stuff.

user posted image

Here's my loading area. While my 650 is permanently mounted, the MEC shotshell press swaps in and out with my Redding press. I drilled the countertop and mounted some tee nuts (at least that is what I think they are called) underneath the bench. Then I just screw the press of choice down with bolts with hex heads. Tools, manuals, small parts, go in the drawers. In the main cabinets, I store all my powder, and also loaded ammunition.

user posted image

Like I said, the miscellaneous stuff gets done on this side. This is an old workbench that I 'liberated' from Mrs BDH. While you can't see it in the photo, I generally store all my primers on this side of the shop, along with extra stuff like bullets, once fired brass, shotgun shells, etc.

user posted image

This set-up works pretty well for me. The only thing I am lacking is space to hang my Dillon girls posters! :D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shred--

Kinda looks like the amount of space I have available (with different doors) but the cubbyhole effect is definitely going to be the same when it's done. (I have to share this particular closet space with the water heater so the gun safe ended up in the roomier [but not ventilated] bedroom closet--also out of plain sight.)

It actually works pretty well-- that's a 1050 in there, but it's sort of like living on a boat-- the only open space is the space that you occupy and you have to move it with you when you move. I mount the press to a short chunk of 2x12 which is bolted to the 2x4 bench via through-bolts and T-nuts. If I need the work space for other work, I unbolt the press, stash it in the other room and swap in a vice or whatever as needed.

I'll be getting a house soon, thank heavens. If only somebody had a clue about basements in this state.

That's not a fascist salute, it's a strong-hand only shooter. That's my "Dont make me kick your ass again, Robbie" trophy.

Notice the loaded Dungeon Defense Firearm to the right of the yellow magnetic parts dish. Slide Glide supply is above it.

Is that the killer lighting system or what? :blink: I don't call it the Dungeon for nothing. Look at that electrical system.

You gotta appreciate the piece of wood holding the sliding bench drawer in. Stupid unlevel dungeon. :angry:

i would like to post mine but i don't have a site to put it on. would anyone cater to help?

Yup - email the pic to me at littman@sbcglobal.net and i'll host it for you.

Same for anyone else that needs it... i've got 500mbs I can share :)

Ok! I will give this a shot, Here is the pit, Sorry but I did not have time to clean up :( . It was taken after a mad cram session to get ready for the PSA steel shoot. :D . Notice the security system- A 115 pound Bullmastiff puppy,(he is still growing up) As you can see he is in a high state of alert and keeps watch on all the toys for me. Now really he is a spoiled rotten boy, ( I could not get the Chocolate Cocker Spaniel on film as she says it will blow her operational cover( She is into black ops- I mean chocolate ops) The big old steel desk does double duty, Sit at the correct side and all the drawers store the tools for working up loads and stuff. Swing to the other side to crank them out. The middle table is for brass prep and the such. and the left table is for cleaning and so on.

lucas1.jpg

lucas2.jpg

I just took a pic of my gunsmith's setup in his spare room closet. The closet's been fitted with very heavy wooden doors that can be locked against kids, unauthorized persons and ferrets. The shot was spontaneous so he didn't have time to "clean it up" (besides, he was loading my ammo while his wife fed me cheesecake), but the setup typifies the 650 in a functionally practical residential setting. Not a digital image so will take a while to lab the prints for ya'.

More later! :)