Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wide bodies

All-Gator

from SkinnErgram #98

asking about "Is the Distributor/Dealer network that STI currently works through ready for another"

Polymer framed, DA/SA triggered and safetied gun, suitable for competition or carry, competitive with the "FNH P-9 ", the "Browning Pro-9 ", the "H&K USP-9 ", the Walther "P99-9 ", and the "S&W M&P-9" ?" To be even more specific, the particulars would be as follows:

Caliber 9X19 only, at the moment

Trigger DA/SA or DAO

Trigger Pull 7.6#/5.6# standard in respective modes, SA. Adjustment avail. to 3.7# for sporting purposes

Capacity 15, 17, or 19 round magazines available

Overall Length 7.97"

Height 5.26"

Barrel Length 4.25"

Weight 26.1 oz. empty

Safeties Ambidextrous thumb, hammer block, firing pin

Slide 40RC, Chrome Moly, Front & Rear serrations

Frame 30RC, Chrome Moly steel

Grip Textured polymer with integral tactical rail

Sights Windage adjustable w/ key, F/O front available

Features Ambidextrous mag release and slide stop, internal extractor

Accessories Plastic case, 2 mags, cleaning rod, sight key

Optional Compact Model 3.66" barrel and 24.2 ounces

This one points like a real gun and doesn't recoil like a Glock!

They cannot be shot in SSP. However an STI Eagle in perfectly legal in ESP. Build/buy one in either 9mm, .40 or even .45ACP. The best choice would be a .40. The same gun can be used in Limited. I had one I sold recently in .40 that was a very good gun. I just can't shoot 1911s.

I still think a 2011 in .45ACP would make an outstanding ESP gun. A big fat 200 gr SWC at 650 fps is pretty sweet.

They cannot be shot in SSP. However an STI Eagle in perfectly legal in ESP. Build/buy one in either 9mm, .40 or even .45ACP. The best choice would be a .40. The same gun can be used in Limited. I had one I sold recently in .40 that was a very good gun. I just can't shoot 1911s.

I still think a 2011 in .45ACP would make an outstanding ESP gun. A big fat 200 gr SWC at 650 fps is pretty sweet.

Since you are limited to 11 rounds regardless, the majority of shooters opt for the less recoil aspect instead of bigger hole idea...

You can shoot an STI/SV 2011, but only in *ESP* and not SSP. It seems kinda overkill, given the restrictions of cover garments, mag placements, and stages with an 18-round limit, but hey.

Edited by boo radley

Thanks to all for responding.

Let me summarize: No, I can't shoot a wide body Eagle in SSP; I can shoot it in ESP; and, since my Eagle is a 45 ACP, I take it I also could shoot it in CDP.

But I'm told I also have another problem...I must convert it from a bull barrel to a conventional barrel/bushing. Now that is a rule I really don't understand. C'est la damn vie.

Thanks again.

A-G

I must convert it from a bull barrel to a conventional barrel/bushing. Now that is a rule I really don't understand.

A-G

Same reason I can't shoot 9mm Major in Limited.

The rule remains after the rationale has passed.

In the formative days of IDPA, 11 years ago, a bull barrel was a relatively expensive custom or special order item; and they wanted to make a stock gun competitive.

Yes you can shoot a STI/SVI in esp or CDP. The only requirements are they must fit in the box(no problem as they already fit in the international box for standard division) and they must have a bushing barrel. I have had a Sti eagle 5.0 in 38super with a bushing barrel for at least 4 years and have shot many matches withit. Svi will also build you a legal gun with bushing barrel in whatever calibre you wish. I did it at the time so that when switching back and forth the feel of the guns didnt change, only the felt recoil as the 38 super was loaded to 135 pf and shot real soft. If you wanted to shot CDP get and eagle in 45with bushing and 126mm mags with the wedge pad and it fits in the box and meets all the requirements. It even comes in under the weight limit for esp even with a stainless guide rod(although I changed mine out for a recoilmaster).

TL, a 1911 style gun shooting a 200 gr .45ACP at a 130 PF shoots softer than a 9mm at the same PF. How do I know this? I have both.

I classified Master with both of the guns we are discussing...45 in CDP and 9mm on a 1911 platform in ESP...loaded down to 130 PF the 45 slide was so slow it bothered me, even with a 10 lb spg....better for me at 160 PF so the 9mm was the logical choice...

to each his own...

TL, a 1911 style gun shooting a 200 gr .45ACP at a 130 PF shoots softer than a 9mm at the same PF. How do I know this? I have both.

If you can get past the slow moving slide (kind of like a freight train coming at you in slo-mo) it's not a bad choice a bit more expensive to reload than .40 or 9mm. I never could get over the slide speed and recoil is what it is, never been much of a factor other than the change in timing to adjust to. IMHO no competative advantage gained and higher in cost for reloading.

A-G: You are welcome. I should get a kick back from Comp-Tac but I don't. I have one and it works great. It is a fast holster as well. I do have a DOH holster but it is not legal for IDPA. I use a Comp -Tac for my Glock(paddle),Kimber 1911(Belt) and STI 2011(belt). I would use a good belt as well. Wilderness,leather or inner CR speed. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

AG, if you shoot 200 gr LSWC in the .45 you will pay less than you would for plated or jacketed 9/.40 bullets. Not sure what powder you have, but 3.5 gr of Titegroup at a 1.260" OAL is very soft and accurate out of my Kimbers. There is one big advantage the 200 gr SWC has over a 9mm in particular - big holes. I shot a G21 with the 3.5 gr load for a few matches. I kept track of .45 holes that touched the -0 ring that would have been a -1 with a 9mm. I did the same thing with -1 vs -3. I picked up on the average 3-5 seconds in a typical 50 - 60 round IDPA match. That gain would be even greater in a high round count State Match.

I liked the G21 at that PF. I shooting friend liked it more so I had to let it go.

CDP? It is hard to miss that big mag well a STI has. Brownells offers a SS mag well that fits into the box.

JoeD,

I agree about the big holes...that was the reason I stopped shooting .38's in the Center Fire portion of NRA 2700's. And I needed every outside liner I could scrouge. I still have about two foot lockers of Remington Match 185 SWC left over from my shooting days on the Army Reserve Team. I have no idea of the Power Factor...but I think it should make minor: A few rounds over the chrono should settle that. Anyway...not really liking to reload...that's where I will start. If I do have to reload (and I eventually will), the only powder I've been using for my .40's is Clays. Any .45 ACP data on that??

One other question: Isn't the Commander barrel about 4.2 inches? So I could use a bull barrel if I shot a Commander-length Eagle?? (Never mind. I just saw that the Commander barrel is 4.25 inches. I guess IDPA just doesn't want bull barrels.)

I still want to talk to you about Glock triggers. Hope to see you at Shorter.

A-G

Edited by All-Gator

Hello: If you want a magwell that fits the box your best bet is the SVI. The STI magwell needs a little milling on the sides to fit the box. The Krebs plastic one also fits the box. I was thinking of shooting ESP/CDP with a 45 but I am having too much fun with the 40 and 9mm in esp. Joe is your man for Glocks. He is the one that got me hooked. The Glock grip angle is no big deal compared with the STI. I shoot both, not well but I do shoot both. Thanks, Eric