Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fine Tuning Svi Mags

benos

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a button installed on the feed ramp of supported barrel or a filler in the frame on conventional non supported designs. The idea is to fill the space above the magazine to the point that as soon as the slide hits the back of the cartridge it’s too late for the round to screw up. Gave me pretty near perfect function on my single stack fo 15 years and a lot of rounds. And would with with any and all magazines. (2 or 3 malfunctions a year, all attributable to reloads) Just did my double stack with a button, perfect so far, but not proved out long term. (About 15000 rounds only). On my double stacks all mags had to have the lips shortened. None would release the 1.255 rounds otherwise. But it seems to work fine up to 1.275 (depending on the width of the bullet meplat.) These loa numbers are for .40S&W throated. I was going for 10mm length to get the 10,000 lb reduction in pressure the books show with IPSC loads. 

4 minutes ago, McDoone said:

I have a button installed on the feed ramp of supported barrel or a filler in the frame on conventional non supported designs. The idea is to fill the space above the magazine to the point that as soon as the slide hits the back of the cartridge it’s too late for the round to screw up. Gave me pretty near perfect function on my single stack fo 15 years and a lot of rounds. And would with with any and all magazines. (2 or 3 malfunctions a year, all attributable to reloads) Just did my double stack with a button, perfect so far, but not proved out long term. (About 15000 rounds only). On my double stacks all mags had to have the lips shortened. None would release the 1.255 rounds otherwise. But it seems to work fine up to 1.275 (depending on the width of the bullet meplat.) These loa numbers are for .40S&W throated. I was going for 10mm length to get the 10,000 lb reduction in pressure the books show with IPSC loads. 

A button?

Best description I could come up with. Had my gunsmith mill a flat on the feed ramp, put a custom made big headed screw (10/32) then trimmed everything off I didn't want. One improvement I didn't think of at the time was to make the flat deep enough and the button wide enough to engage the side of the frame in the support part of the barrel. And then cut flats on the side of the button to match. Glue of any type (that I've tried) isn't forever.

Got a much larger custom screw ready to go when I feel the need.

No doubt there are supported barrels out there that have enough material to start with, but I've never seen any.

Edited by McDoone

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I purchased several new svi tubes for 9mm,their 13 coils spring and followers. I opted to use the Taran Tactical base plate(4mm),

and when loaded  22 rounds , I get double feeds, stove pipes and other maladies.....what am doing wrong ,and how to fix it?

22 minutes ago, Ozy said:

I purchased several new svi tubes for 9mm,their 13 coils spring and followers. I opted to use the Taran Tactical base plate(4mm),

and when loaded  22 rounds , I get double feeds, stove pipes and other maladies.....what am doing wrong ,and how to fix it?

Standard SVI base pads are 3mm. So, your coils might be 1mm too short. On mine I replaced my 3mm SVI base pads with Taran 3mm pads and have had no issues.

• 6 months later...

I am in the middle of tuning 140mm mags for limited.  I recently purchased a couple SVI 40 sight trackers off this forum, and will be shooting limited this year. ( been shooting open last couple of years ) I have both SVI and STI tubes, and I have been fitting with Taran Tactical Springs and Followers. The springs actually are designed to stack inside each other, the followers carry spring on both sides of follower ( avoids rolling ) I get a reloadable magazine with 21 rounds.  this is with the SVI tubes.  I have not run a match with the new followers?  Was running Grams followers before and did not have any problems, but could only get 19 in STI tubes and 20 in SVI tubes. Has anybody else switched to Taran internals?

Was running Grams followers before and did not have any problems, but could only get 19 in STI tubes and 20 in SVI tubes. Has anybody else switched to Taran internals?

Nope. What pads are you using?

FYI, I’m running new style SVI tubes, grams guts, TTI 4g base pads -> 21 reloadable and fits the mag gauge.

I have both. The super thin for the 40 mags, and I have standard taran followers for 170 mm tubes. I have the older SVI tubes, do not know what is different about new tubes, but with grams follower and springs could only get 20.  The springs are the ticket.  they taper and each coil stacks inside the other. making room for extra round.  

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/2/2020 at 4:23 PM, joerenew said:

The video is great and explains everything, well worth it even if you only tune a couple yourself

do you realize you responded to a post from 2013 right?

• 2 weeks later...