Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barsto Barrels, are they $200 better than stock barrel?

scorpiusdeus

Some of the stock barrels are pretty good, I like using the Barsto's myself. Are they $200 better? Well that depends on how you value money versus performance. Is a high end race gun 3-5 times better than a semi stock gun? I know that curve isn't linear.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

I think alot of the acuracy comes from the aftermarket barrels being slightly larger or oversized and having to be hand fit, rather than the actual " Quality of the barrel" a mass produced gun has to be machined to minimize hand fitting labor expenes, So you should allways pick up some acuracy with a hand fit barrel. One thing I can say about good aftermarket barrels is you will notice an imediate difference when you clean them. Espicially if you shoot cast bullets, they basically just wipe out.

BarSto makes fine barrels. Just make sure that you know what you are ordering. If you want a barrel with shallow locking lugs like all the other major barrel makers are offering, you will need to order it with the Marine Corp Cut. Otherwise, you will get a barrel with standard locking lugs.

The new match grade barrel will need to be fitted tight and right to get the most out of it.

What is wrong with your stock barrel? Are you capable of better accuracy than it can give you? I suspect the answer is no. We shoot at huge targets. We are not shooting Bullseye. Any gun than is capable of 2 1/2" groups at 25 yards is more than accurate enough for IPSC/IDPA. Rare is the gun that will not group under 2 1/2" with a proper load.

If you spend a little time doing load development you will find an accurate load. I can't tell you how many aftermarket barrels I have installed where the shooter seemed to think this modification was going to some how catapult them to Master class. When you track their progress you find they are not shooting any better.

You can buy a lot of practice ammo for the price of a BarSto barrel.

In my shooting world, $200 doesnt buy very much ammo, or reloading components, maybe a couple weeks worth of ammo. I say youll DEFINITELY notice the limitations of a stock barrel, especially when you do long range standards or tight head shots. Get the fitted barrel.

My factory sti barrel shoots as good or better than my slow schuemann....or maybe I am getting better..........DOH!

JPL precision uses KKM barrels, and I have nothing but praise for his work and opinion. Thats me next barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

If the guns is a competition only piece the barrel is a good investment. All match guns need three basic modifications...

1. Decent sights.

2. Decent trigger

3. Acceptable accuracy (this is where a properly fitted match barrel come in handy).

If you have the expendable cash, I'd suggest that you buy the barrel from Bar-Sto and have them fit it. I have tons of handguns that operate within an acceptable accuracy range. The guns I use the most in competition have either Nowlin or Bar-Sto barrels in them.

Every little bit counts...especially past 15 yards. ;)

I do not believe that Bar-Sto barrels actually cost $200. "more" than other barrels, unless it was custom built specifically for you.

During my earlier days (late 70's - early 80's) we could not find any quantity of decent barrels to work with that had not been so overcut to where they were useless, and we had to resort to welding them up to get them tight. Bar-Sto would supply us with good quality "oversized" barrel that would put a smile in our faces. Since then a few other manufacturers have made their product a little bit more available and of similar or better quality (if that is possible!), along with similar prices (or lower). Heck, CNC machining has revolutionized qulity manufacturing to no end, and good metals are more available now.

Bar-Sto has their seasonal runs for certain items, and in addition have to make barrels for their own guns. There is a big demand for quality barrels. Ask any of the better known makers. While Bar-Sto used to be at the top of my list years ago, it is no longer there in spite of their quality. Their quality is still good, but there are others that will fill the void with similar results and sometimes even better prices. For instance Schuemann is at the top of my list, but somtimes you have to wait long times for their barrels (although its a worthwhile wait!) and they can cost even more than Bar-Sto. Still I'd rather have a Schuemann than a Bar-Sto. Funny thing is that lately I am using more and more of the KKM barrels. Their quality is on par (better sometimes) with Bar-Sto, and their prices are very competitive. KKM definetely has the fastest delivery times for their products, and is much more consumer oriented.

:rolleyes: Storm Lake machine makes as good a barrel as any Ive seen or used,/bar-sto barrels are good

but the price is high.

If ya can get a schuemann barrel do it .

Im using nothing but storm lake barrels right now, Ive got one in my forty that is 5 years old and has a sillion

rounds through it and will group as good as any new ones I send out.

Jim

Sailors :closedeyes:

I have a Bar-sto semi fitted barrel in a Glock 17. It dropped in with no fitting. I couldn't notice any accuracy advantage over the stock barrel, but then the stock one will shoot 1.5" 5 shot groups at 25 yds (probably better than average for a glock). It does clean out easier though and lead bullets work good in it. My dad has a Storm lake they look very good for the money.

Note: The bar-sto barrels have no throat in them. I have had trouble with 147 gr and 135 gr zero bullets. You have to get almost all the full diameter part of the bullet back in the case which is deeper than I wanted to seat them. 115 gr works great.