Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choke Tubes - Beretta vs. Briley

EricW

Anyone have a preference between Beretta's house brand of extended choke tubes verus the Briley variety? I noticed that the Berettas have no teeth for a wrench, which may be a good or bad thing. Just kind of curious, since I have other choke tubes on other systems that tend to shoot loose if you don't wrench them puppies in there.

Thanks!

Anyone have a preference between Beretta's house brand of extended choke tubes verus the Briley variety? I noticed that the Berettas have no teeth for a wrench, which may be a good or bad thing. Just kind of curious, since I have other choke tubes on other systems that tend to shoot loose if you don't wrench them puppies in there.

Thanks!

Eric,

If the extended tubes are included with your new Beretta, use them. If you have to buy some, go with the Brileys. Heck, they might make them for Beretta, like they do for Browning. I have a set that I bought for a 686 years ago, excellent quality.

If I needed to buy additional choke tubes, I'd probably go with Briley based on "reputation".

I wouldn't, out of hand, replace all Beretta chokes with Briley until I patterned them or "felt" there was a problem.

"Felt" is " I don't like the way the targets break", but " I'm not going to pattern them". B)

As you know, different shells pattern differently through the same choke or choke tube. You can probably get 3 "different" choke constrictions out of the same "choke" by altering the ammo(speed, shot size and hardness)...intentionally or not!

I actually "need" new tubes. I'll have everything but light mod, which I prefer for virtually everything. Particularly entertaining for skeet where anything but a cylinder choke puts all the old codgers' panties in a bunch.

I would not automatically replace the Beretta tubes either until you have a good reason, unless they are the MobilChokes which were standard before the OptiBore and Optima chokes. My youngest shoots a 390 which was originally equipped with mobilchokes and has had Briley extended chokes on it for well over 50,000 rounds shot by me and his older brother before him.. He just won his class at the Oregon State prelim shoot using them this past weekend.

My oldest won the subjunior Washington state championship for the third [and last since he'll be 16 next week] time a few weeks ago and he used factory standard Beretta chokes in his DT10. I need to clarify that all of these chokes were pattern-tested and "cherry-picked" in that if a choke didn't throw the appropriate pattern I exchanged them until I got one that did. By doing this you'll find some that are dead-nuts on. some are acceptable and some aren't even close.

For my purposes, close enough is acceptable. I did use paper and the Brister method [his book is a must read] in the beginning but it takes a lot of time and effort. In recent years I've used a grease board and the close is good enough method with quite acceptable resultis. After many years of working my way up the shotgun hierarchy I've determined that there is really no need to be totally anal about shotgun patterns. I'm not as competitive as I once was since I've become obsessed with pistol shooting but I still shoot in Master class, but now I only carry five chokes with me instead of the 14 I had in early days!

The statement about Briley making Beretta chokes could certainly be true but I don't have personal knowledge of that, but I do know that they make the OEM chokes for the Blaser shotguns. Either way is fine, but you still need to check the chokes no matter who made them as I have sent my share of Briley chokes back also. They are all subject to manufacturing variances and machine tolerances so check them out - just don't get totally hung up on on your chokes. The six inches between your ears is much more important than the two inches of choke at the end of your barrel.

Eric, I hope you're happy that I'm answering in the open forum instead of by PM, but did you get my PM last week?

WillM>

Hi Will,

Thanks! I'll go with Briley and will pattern board them & return them if they're uneven or something totally ridiculous. I'm not much of a choke-switcher, so I generally run lite mod and it seems to work pretty well everywhere.

Got your PM. Will PM back with what's up.

E

You posted while I was typing. I think .015 is a good choice for all around - just plug it in and shoot. I usually carry a Briley speed wrench in my bag, but never need it unless the chokes have been in so long that they're stuck in place by gunk and can't be unscrewed without a little help. It is just second nature for most of us now to check the chokes for tightness on the way into the stand - finger tight works just fine.

I would not automatically replace the Beretta tubes either until you have a good reason, unless they are the MobilChokes which were standard before the OptiBore and Optima chokes. My youngest shoots a 390 which was originally equipped with mobilchokes and has had Briley extended chokes on it for well over 50,000 rounds shot by me and his older brother before him.. He just won his class at the Oregon State prelim shoot using them this past weekend.

My oldest won the subjunior Washington state championship for the third [and last since he'll be 16 next week] time a few weeks ago and he used factory standard Beretta chokes in his DT10. I need to clarify that all of these chokes were pattern-tested and "cherry-picked" in that if a choke didn't throw the appropriate pattern I exchanged them until I got one that did. By doing this you'll find some that are dead-nuts on. some are acceptable and some aren't even close.

For my purposes, close enough is acceptable. I did use paper and the Brister method [his book is a must read] in the beginning but it takes a lot of time and effort. In recent years I've used a grease board and the close is good enough method with quite acceptable resultis. After many years of working my way up the shotgun hierarchy I've determined that there is really no need to be totally anal about shotgun patterns. I'm not as competitive as I once was since I've become obsessed with pistol shooting but I still shoot in Master class, but now I only carry five chokes with me instead of the 14 I had in early days!

The statement about Briley making Beretta chokes could certainly be true but I don't have personal knowledge of that, but I do know that they make the OEM chokes for the Blaser shotguns. Either way is fine, but you still need to check the chokes no matter who made them as I have sent my share of Briley chokes back also. They are all subject to manufacturing variances and machine tolerances so check them out - just don't get totally hung up on on your chokes. The six inches between your ears is much more important than the two inches of choke at the end of your barrel.

Eric, I hope you're happy that I'm answering in the open forum instead of by PM, but did you get my PM last week?

WillM>

Have known Jess Briley for lots of years...he does indeed make Beretta its chokes, as he does for Remington, Browning and a few more....

anything machined can have variances,but I wonder who is allowing you to test fire their chokes and swap them out if it does not pattern like you wish ? I know of noone who is that "open minded"....the you buy it, it is yours, comes to mind... <_<

Over the past 13 years I've exchanged two or three chokes with both BerettaUSA and Briley which did not pattern as marked and/or measured out of spec for the constriction. I've never been questioned or challenged about this by either company; they just made it right. I've dealt with several different Beretta reps over the years but only remember Monty, who's no longer there as far as I know. At Briley I've never met Jess, but have often dealt with Chuck Webb until he left and/or with Cliff Moeller.

I'd hardly classify it as try before you buy or "test firing". Both companies have satisfaction guarantees and if one of their products is not correct or is out of spec, it's not right. I'd say that for the most part Beretta USA has satisfied me and that Briley always has.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering to respond to this, but I will say that it is one of the reasons I choose not to post very often on these forums. I've noticed that often when one tries to help someone out by sharing their experience someone else feels it necessary to pop up and challenge a statement, [based on who knows what information] but I find it rather comical that someone would question a shooter not being satisfied with a product that didn't perform as advertised and asking for an exchange. If your .40S&W chamber was undersized wouldn't you ask whoever made it to fix it? Of course you would. And they would fix it. <_<

Well, pfooie....

I am not trying to stir the pot...if the man says he tried 47 different chokes till he got the ones he liked, I am sure he did....I can see returning out of spec products for correct ones...no problem, but beyond that... :wacko:

• 2 years later...

WillM>

Have known Jess Briley for lots of years...he does indeed make Beretta its chokes, as he does for Remington, Browning and a few more....

anything machined can have variances,but I wonder who is allowing you to test fire their chokes and swap them out if it does not pattern like you wish ? I know of noone who is that "open minded"....the you buy it, it is yours, comes to mind... <_<

Kick's Ind was VERY accomodating when their tubes did not pattern well for me. I was sent every buck kicker tube they make and told to send the 2 back that didn't work. Ended up, none of them did as well as my $35 Primos tube and I sent them all back. Not a word of complaint and I was promptly refunded. The higher-end choke companies understand that shotguns don't all react the same way to the same choke/load and will let you return the choke if it does not perform to your expectations. Trulock is the same way.

I have a Beretta DT-10 with factory and Kicks chokes. I am setting them all to the side for Brileys very soon. Briley sets the bar for shotgun accessories and their chokes are second to none. The titanium chokes are expensive but they don't add a bunch of weight to the end of the barrel. They have a outstanding customer support and will do what ever they can to make things right. I have used their product for years and will do so as long as they are around.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys please take a look at Comp-n-chokes...Shea has been using them for about 6 months in her DT-10 and loves them.....We have done a pattern test and they are a lot cleaner than the factorys!!!! Have not tried brileys yet! Her new Blaser will have brileys!

I have a Beretta DT-10 with factory and Kicks chokes. I am setting them all to the side for Brileys very soon. Briley sets the bar for shotgun accessories and their chokes are second to none. The titanium chokes are expensive but they don't add a bunch of weight to the end of the barrel. They have a outstanding customer support and will do what ever they can to make things right. I have used their product for years and will do so as long as they are around.

The Briley Diffusion chokes are the heat. One of guys, Mike Pinto, says his in Light Modified is just plain awesome for 3 gunning! Their customer support is right up there with the best as well! Hell while your there ask them if they have one of those parts you looking for....they make everything for everything!

• 1 month later...

Briley makes great products as does Ballistic Specialties, Rhino, Seminole, etc. I would take the chokes you have and pattern test them to see how they perform. If they work then you're all set... if they don't you can explore other options.

• 7 years later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2007 at 9:11 PM, EricW said:

Thanks!

in my experience, brileys tend to be a little tighter on the pattern board vs factory..trap I use briley, skeet and sporting clays I use factory.

the bench