Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3d Stage Drawings Using Google Sketchup

j2fast

Just saw this over at the IPSC GV; the folks that did the Thai Nationals used Google's free 3D sketch tool to draw out their stages. I've never seen this product from Google; it's looks pretty cool for a feel tool for the non-professional folks among us like me.

Here's one, the rest are shown in the link below:

th_stage01underground.jpg

http://www.thpsa.com/PHP-Nuke/html/modules...8c4941dc6faadc0

I just uploaded a set of scale IPSC targets to the Google 3d Warehouse. Anyone interested in making stages with SketchUp should grab my model and save themselves some time. (Finding these models is built into SketchUp's import tool, just search for IPSC or USPSA)

This tool is quick and easy, there's video tutorials available on Google Video as well to get folks started. It took me an hour to learn the tool. I'll design a stage tomorrow and post my results to hopefully inspire some folks.

I just uploaded a set of scale IPSC targets to the Google 3d Warehouse. Anyone interested in making stages with SketchUp should grab my model and save themselves some time. (Finding these models is built into SketchUp's import tool, just search for IPSC or USPSA)

This tool is quick and easy, there's video tutorials available on Google Video as well to get folks started. It took me an hour to learn the tool. I'll design a stage tomorrow and post my results to hopefully inspire some folks.

I knew if I waited long enough someone on this forum would do this and save me the trouble. :D You rock bud!

Angel

Be sure to add us some poles/sticks/barrels...all that jazz.

I wonder if the models that the Thai drawer used are available anywhere?

Edited by vluc

OK, a few tips for stage designers.

Draw the ground first. I know this may sound obvious, but it's easy to get cranking away without a floor in place. When you have a floor, it's quick to set target heights correctly. Without a floor, you'll probably have some poppers floating 2' from the ground while paper targets may be 10' underground.

To create windows, draw the window on top of the wall surface, then highlight the middle and hit delete. If you're struggling with this idea, imagine a rectangle as being 5 pieces, the first 4 pieces are the 4 edges and the 5th piece is the plane between the corners.

The tape measure and protractor create invaluable imaginary lines. Use these tools to create guide lines of perfect length, parallelism, angle, etc... Once done, they can be removed by choosing Edit|Delete Guides.

When drawing lines, rectangles, circles, etc... it's often useful to draw the object in the right place but don't focus too much on using the mouse to create the correct size object. Immediately after creating the object you can type a measurement on your keyboard and that object will become that size automatically. For instance, if you draw a line of random length and type 7' the line will become 7' long. If you're working with rectangles, use 10",15" (use a comma) to express the second dimension. Circles are measured by radius.

If you're working with my targets, I combined all the various lines to make a component. This makes moving the target around much easier. If you need to edit my targets, perhaps to create partially hardcovered targets, right click on them and select 'explode'. This ungroups the target so that it's foundation pieces can be edited.

Watch the Google Video tutorials, they're helpful.

I'm sure there's more tips. That's just what I've encountered in the first 2-3 hours. I wish I had accurate measurements of our club's shooting bays too, that would make it easier to verify my design will fit the bay.

Although I don't mind making things like barrels, fault lines, walls etc... for my setup template, literally these kinds of things take 5 seconds to conjure up in SketchUp. In the short term, I'm going to update my 3d models to include furrowing strips (on the targets), no shoots, and partial hardcovered targets of the varieties we generally see. I'll eventually make a horizontal barrel prop, swinger with stand, texas star, and plate rack too. I'll crank out an IDPA target when I have some free time.

Edited by ihatepickles

Thanks to Ihatepickles for his IPSC targets. I was able to build some IDPA targets from his base model and have been using it to build some stages. I added target stands and sticks. I've also built some barricades and shooting ports. Stands for steel plates as well. Loads of fun putting together a COF booklet with this.

Here are a few stages I did this week for our Local Match this Saturday. I'm still tweaking the target models but when I'm done I'll load them up to the 3D Warehouse. If anybody wants to use anything as is they are welcome to it. Just drop me a note and I'll send it out.

http://216.92.39.122/images/thefence.jpg

http://216.92.39.122/images/cardgame.jpg

http://216.92.39.122/images/stage11.jpg

http://216.92.39.122/images/idpatargets.jpg

http://216.92.39.122/images/idpatarget.jpg

Angel

Edited by A_Med

• 1 month later...
Some course of fires in Thailand recently.

Ray

Your work is awesome!!!!

We are beginning to use Google SketchUp for course design for our monthly IDPA match at Black Creek in Virginia. Angel Medina got us started and we have now designed our third match using SketchUp. As I make new stage designs, I am adding to my collection in the 3D Warehouse. Just do a search for IDPA and you will get there quickly.

I just designed 12 stages for the upcoming match in July. From start to finish it took about 6 hours (I had to design a few props). I am adding props, targets, etc. to the collection in 3D Warehouse. We issue a match booklet which contains our course of fire. I want to model our berms like you have done on some of your stages. Angel has started to experiment with fly through and animation for course of fire walk-throughs. I'll add the 12 stages just designed to the Warehouse tonight.

We think this is a great tool and want to compliment you for taking the lead on this way of presenting courses of fire.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

Match Operations

Black Creek Shooters Association IDPA

BCIDPA__July_2007.pdf

Ray

Your work is awesome!!!!

We are beginning to use Google SketchUp for course design for our monthly IDPA match at Black Creek in Virginia. Angel Medina got us started and we have now designed our third match using SketchUp. As I make new stage designs, I am adding to my collection in the 3D Warehouse. Just do a search for IDPA and you will get there quickly.

I just designed 12 stages for the upcoming match in July. From start to finish it took about 6 hours (I had to design a few props). I am adding props, targets, etc. to the collection in 3D Warehouse. We issue a match booklet which contains our course of fire. I want to model our berms like you have done on some of your stages. Angel has started to experiment with fly through and animation for course of fire walk-throughs. I'll add the 12 stages just designed to the Warehouse tonight.

We think this is a great tool and want to compliment you for taking the lead on this way of presenting courses of fire.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

Match Operations

Hi Jim, I'm interested in trying this 3-D program. How exactly do I go about getting The Google 3-D Sketch Tool ?

Thanks, Ron Buchnat ursulab@jorsm.com

Ray

Your work is awesome!!!!

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

Match Operations

Hi Jim, I'm interested in trying this 3-D program. How exactly do I go about getting The Google 3-D Sketch Tool ?

Thanks, Ron Buchnat ursulab@jorsm.com

Ron

Google SketchUp is available free on the web at www.sketchup.com. Download and install. Once you are set up, then grab some of our stages off the web to play around with. It will be a snap, since Angel Medina and I have developed a number of targets and props and you won't have to re-invent the wheel.

If we can get a core of guys developing targets and props, we can really generate some good stuff. I have been focusing on IDPA but a lot of the same stuff is applicable for IPSC as well.

Let me know how I can help you get going.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a plate rack somewhere I could use that for some of our club stuff.

Thanks

Bianchi Plate Rack

The above link takes you to a Bianchi Plate Rack in my collection of shooting targets, stages, and props. Let me know if you need help with anything else.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

Black Creek Shooters' Association

Is there a plate rack somewhere I could use that for some of our club stuff.

Thanks

Bianchi Plate Rack

The above link takes you to a Bianchi Plate Rack in my collection of shooting targets, stages, and props. Let me know if you need help with anything else.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

Sorry, I forgot to add that as we develop new models we are placing them in the 3D Warehouse. Do a search on IDPA or use the link in the above post to get there.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

• 4 months later...

Now that I am into playing with sketchup, I'd like to get the .skp files for these stages to break them down and see how they did it. Got a contact person?

ETA: I got an email address for the stage designer on those Thai Nationals stages. Hope to hear back from him. Once I do, I'll share the results.

Edited by vluc