Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Latest Trends In Magwells For Single Stack 1911s

Carmoney

The SV magwell unit and Novak "Techwell" have been getting quite a bit of attention from the Single Stack shooters here on the forum lately, and so I decided I better figure out if I'm missing the boat by not upgrading from the ol' S&As.

So, inspired by you guys who are at the cutting edge of magwell technology, the other day I had a little extra time and decided to do a little experimenting myself down in my basement shop--just to see if I could build a better mousetrap of my own, so to speak.

The attached photo shows the magwell I worked up. I'm very pleased with it.

It's not yet in final form, but I think I might really be on to something here. Not only is the prototype super fast, but it's pretty easy on the eyes (if I do say so myself). I think it will be superb for concealed carry--in fact, I went ahead and installed it on my LW Commander, and so far not a single soul has "made" my carry gun under a light sweater or wind shirt. I'm pretty certain it will fit the box just fine.

What can I say? Big magwells rule! Chalk up another convert! :D

post-4033-1176870567.jpg

Edited by Carmoney

Sounds like a classic case of Dihydrogenmonxide poisoning, You better get a full check pronto!

I have finaly found a magwell that will work with those 30 round S.S. mags I got for carry :D

For those who still believe (as I once did) that the large 1911 Single Stack magwells (like the SV, the Techwell, and my own custom version) are not practical for daily concealed carry and don't fit the spirit of the Single Stack division, I think this just may convince you otherwise.

This evening I went over to town and fueled up the Chrysler, with my .45 Commander and its new custom magwell carried in an Alessi IWB rig, with my dress shirt tucked in neatly around the gun. (Note: I have held a concealed carry permit in this state since 1989.)

As you can clearly see from the attached photo, the carry gun with its magwell has completely disappeared from view, and is now virtually invisible under my cotton dress shirt. Short of a portable metal detector, you would never know it's there.....

post-4033-1176941596.jpg

You are too much Carmoney. I will be starting my 2nd stint this year in Muscatine in a few weeks, I am sure by the time I get down there these will be all the rage and everyone will have these "invisible" mag wells on their carry rigs.

Tom

Edited by Tom Mainus