Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Minor For Steel....

Please help,I am trying to work up a load for

my Bar-sto bs40.I have a BUNCH of winchester

231 powder so thats what im going to burn first.

So far I have loaded 3.8 grains of 231 with a

lazer cast 180 gr. flat point and they still seem

a little hot for steel.I have a 16# recoil spring

ant its still kicking the brass out about 6 feet!

Should I go down to 3.5 grains?Thanks in advance -Chad-

Chad, put a 10lb recoil spring in the gun, and load down until the gun functions, but does not lock back. Add .02 grain and it should lock back, that should do it to make it reliable. Then shoot about 500 to see if the gun will run dirty. If so, then you are done....

FWIW...

Good luck,

DougC

Are you shooting steel to keep up your IPSC skills?

If so, don't shoot a minor load. I shoot steel twice a month with several other GMs and most of us use what what we normally shoot at matches to keep everything the same.

I run a 180 FMJ at 945 fps for everything.

I tried a light load once and went back to my "everyday load". The gun felt different and cycled slower. I've done better with the major load.

My experience is that 231 burns very dirty when you reduce it, especially down to the level of a light steel load AND use cast bullets. If steel is going to be your main game then you should switch powders. My Glock 35 will run many thousands of rounds with Clays and plated bullets before it needs any kind of cleaning.

Dave Sinko

Clays is a good powder for light loads to keep the pressure up and velocity lower in "light loads". 231 does run better at higher pressure. It was dirty and nasty in our 1980 loads with a 200 gr SWC even at the old power factor...

Chad,

I have used 3.6 gr. WST behind 155 to 180 gr. cast lead bulets in both my PO16-40 and S&W646. A nice mild and clean burning load that does knock over steel plates.

Edited by TonyT

+1 on the don't change. I shoot the same load for everything. I think in order for the gun to feel the same...the load can't change. I do know alot of people find the bullet weight combo that allows them to go minor by just setting a lighter bullet on top of the same charge of the same powder. Plus if you fiddle too much...you will have to reset your sights too...

Put in a lighter recoil spring and burn up that powder, if that is what you want to do. Know that your timing will be a little off from your regular setup and load.

Consistency is nice, but so is adapting to shoot what you have.

Soft steel load, PF ~135

180 grain bullet

3.0 grains of Clays

If you are serious about shooting competitively in steel matches, then you need to load down. Speed is the key. There is no consideration in the scoring for PF. That's why "Steel Guns" are super lightened. They work with powder-puff loads and allow for quick transitions. If you are not interested in being competitive and are just shooting steel to stay sharp for other shooting sports, leave the load the same.

Edited by Singlestack Wonder

Chad I shot for years with a 40 cal started with it in 1990, - 2002 is when I got my fist 38super, After my 40 got stollen out of my truck

You can do just fine with a 40 cal -(not as fast as a 38 super tuned up)- but shoot what have, ... and what gives you the best (feel) and the best transition to the next target.

Im not a gun smith but from what I have ben told ( the how far the brass flys ) is and old school thing, in regard to power factor. I think it meens you have a good extractor when the brass still flys 6 feet.

But like everyone says I don;t know nothing

Edited by AlamoShooter