Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trap gun?

chipper

• 2 months later...

Don't overlook the Browning Gold or Remington 1100/11-87. Beretta is the darling of most trapshooters that use an auto but these two are fine for the purpose, too.

(Edited by dfm at 10:38 pm on Jan. 8, 2003)

Try to get to a shop or range that has them all and see how they fit you. If you can rent or borrow one and shoot a round or two all the better. How the gun fits is the big thing.  You can spend a lot of money getting a gun to fit you, if you buy one that fits you're ahead of the game.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dick W Holliday

2Alpha is giving you good advice....try some guns first....i've got a few trap guns and i can shoot my 1200 winchester as good as one i've got that cost 40 times as much.....there is a guy named Jones i think that sells plastic adjustable stocks for just about any of the autos........with it you can make just about anything work.....Dick

I'll throw in a plug for an old 870 Wingmaster with a 30" barrel.  Thats what I learned on and shot 24-25 consistantly with it.  Granted, I never went to the Nationals or even a state match (never tried), but for Tuesday night practice, 100-150 birds, its fine.  I've shot with an 11-87 also, but I like the little extra weight of that old 870.

As an after thought, and if you only intend to shoot singles, you may even find a used Browning BT99 for a decent price.  LOTS of birds have been broken by those.

(Edited by BigDave at 10:18 pm on Jan. 21, 2003)

• 14 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

390 or 391 would be a great choice. I would just make sure it has a would stock. That way if you ever want it fitted to you on down the road it won't be a whole lot of trouble. The shims that are included on some of the Beretta's usually will work though.

I injured my shoulder last summer, and I switched from my BT99 to my 11-87. Gun ran great and it kept me shooting when my shoulder couldn't take the single anymore. After a few months of healing, I was back on my BT99, but the 11-87 was effortless. It also allowed me to try doubles for the first time which was a lot of fun.

After 15 years, I wonder if the OP got it figured out..............................................................................................................

After 15 years, I wonder if the OP got it figured out..............................................................................................................

Damn lol. That has to be the oldest post bump I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you can find a Beretta 391 Urika II then get that. Last model with real nice walnut I believe. I have one with a Soft Touch system that is the softest shooting 12ga I have ever shot.

• 3 months later...

Just remember shooting an auto, it will kick out the empty towards the person next to you.  Unacceptable on the trap range.  You have to add a device of somekind to catch the shell or deflect it downward.  

• 11 months later...

If you want to try an autoloader take a look at the Browning A5- it is fast cycling, reliable feeding, has "low recoil", has interchangeable chokes, and is a good looking shotgun. The price is right also. There are many versions to choose from.

On 9/18/2019 at 7:40 AM, verla said:

If you want to try an autoloader take a look at the Browning A5- it is fast cycling, reliable feeding, has "low recoil", has interchangeable chokes, and is a good looking shotgun. The price is right also. There are many versions to choose from.

Its a great duck gun. It isn't any more less expensive than the A400. 

• 2 months later...

To me the A400 would be the way to go if wanting a semi auto. Fairly low recoil and dependable as well. You would have to put a shell catcher on it though to keep it from kicking shells out in the direction of the shooter next to you. Personally I'd check out Browning's BT99 or 100.