Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steyr M-a1

stipo

So do any other manufacture's sights fit the Steyr dovetails? Does anyone know the demensions of the dovetails? The only aftermarket sights I can find for the Steyr are PT night sights. Not my cup of tea . . .

You would think Steyr would have the forsight to use a non-proprietary dovetail cut.

Can a smith re-cut the dovetails to be a standard demension?

I am fairly certain that the front dovetail will take a Sig brand front sight, though I don't have the gun here to check. Have one EERW?

I have heard of the Heine Slant Pros being modified to fit in such a way that it looks factory.

I am fairly certain that the front dovetail will take a Sig brand front sight, though I don't have the gun here to check. Have one EERW?

I have heard of the Heine Slant Pros being modified to fit in such a way that it looks factory.

Don't Sig sights also fit the XD?

So do any other manufacture's sights fit the Steyr dovetails? Does anyone know the demensions of the dovetails? The only aftermarket sights I can find for the Steyr are PT night sights. Not my cup of tea . . .

You would think Steyr would have the forsight to use a non-proprietary dovetail cut.

sorry ..no gun handy..

sorry ..no gun handy..

I'm sure Dawson would be willing to make a sight to fit if he had a request. It would just be editing a part program. Then you could have fiber front and rear or night sights or whatever you wanted.

I used my M40A1 in IDPA comp recently and loved the performance. The barrel actually sits lower in the hand than a glock.

Pro - Inexpensive, shoots very well, low barrel axis

Con - Trigger reset, no aftermarket support.

Extractor problem can be fixed, trigger reset as well.

SCG - how do you shorten the rest? Thx.

I had a m40a1. I think it is a great design, but poor execution. I had to send a gun back twice to get one that worked. The QC must need a little help at Steyr. The U.S. distributor's customer service was great, but Why should I have to send two guns back. I understand sometimes there are lemons but 2 out of 3?

If anyone does start doin' "Extreme Makeover: Steyr edition" let me know. I really like the ergonomics of the gun as well as the design. I just didn't like the quality of the finished product.

I had a m40a1. I think it is a great design, but poor execution. I had to send a gun back twice to get one that worked. The QC must need a little help at Steyr. The U.S. distributor's customer service was great, but Why should I have to send two guns back. I understand sometimes there are lemons but 2 out of 3?

If anyone does start doin' "Extreme Makeover: Steyr edition" let me know. I really like the ergonomics of the gun as well as the design. I just didn't like the quality of the finished product.

Yep - that's a problem :blink:

I picked one up from CDNN through Chris Patty (CPWSA - a board sponsor) for around $450 for the pistol and 6 mags (4 hi caps and 2 10 rounders).

It seems to point even higher than a Glock for me. The trigger isn't nearly as nice as the range gun I shot - probably because the range gun smoothed out through use.

I'll shoot it this week and give it a fair trial for a month or three. If I don't like it, look for it in the classifieds!

I shot about 250 rounds through the Steyr today and I'm impressed. The trigger was very servicable and produced .18-.19 A hit splits at about 7 yards.

The grip is too thin for me and I put a rubber sleeve on it. The funky sights were very easy to pick up and worked very well on open targets, but were hard to use when shooting A/B zones at 12+ yards. It did seem to send a lot of brass back on my head though.

It would not come close to fitting into my Glock holster. What holsters fit a Steyr?

Edited by chp5

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread.

I have a steyr m9a1 and it keeps ejecting brass onto my head or face. Is the plunger spring fix supposed to address this or does it only help with extraction problems? My m9a1 doesn't have any extraction problems except with brass that's expanded too much over repeated use so I don't wanna do the fix if it doesn't help. It's really annoying because it makes me close my eyes as a reflex when I shoot even though I wear safety glasses.

And is it just me or doesn't the trigger seem pretty heavy?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a steyr m9a1 and it keeps ejecting brass onto my head or face. Is the plunger spring fix supposed to address this or does it only help with extraction problems? My m9a1 doesn't have any extraction problems except with brass that's expanded too much over repeated use so I don't wanna do the fix if it doesn't help. It's really annoying because it makes me close my eyes as a reflex when I shoot even though I wear safety glasses.

I would do the plunger spring trick 1st. it should extract everything, unless the chamber is gunked up. The chamber is tight, so a small amount of buildup can fuq that up. Get B-T glide rite spring cups for the striker spring. they are cheap and make a difference. After that I stop.

I have 6 Steyrs, am working off the last 2% points to A-class shooting Steyrs in Production.

• 3 weeks later...

I would do the plunger spring trick 1st. it should extract everything, unless the chamber is gunked up. The chamber is tight, so a small amount of buildup can fuq that up. Get B-T glide rite spring cups for the striker spring. they are cheap and make a difference. After that I stop.

I have 6 Steyrs, am working off the last 2% points to A-class shooting Steyrs in Production.

I tried the plunger spring trick and it made the brass more consistently hit me in the face. When I insert an empty casing into the chamber it doesn't get stuck. Anyway, I've pretty much given up on that part.

B-T glide rite spring cups? Can you explain that? I'm really not familiar with these things.

Thanks for your help!

I tried the plunger spring trick and it made the brass more consistently hit me in the face. When I insert an empty casing into the chamber it doesn't get stuck. Anyway, I've pretty much given up on that part.

I'd be thinking of reshaping the ejector. Or send to Jeff at SAI.

B-T glide rite spring cups? Can you explain that? I'm really not familiar with these things.

Thanks for your help!

They replace the C-washer/spring retainer on the striker spring rod. That washer causes drag and inconsistency. These are really a cheap, simple, slick solution with no known downside or trade-off. http://btguiderods.com/category/steyr-acc/

I'd be thinking of reshaping the ejector. Or send to Jeff at SAI.

Thanks for your help!

They replace the C-washer/spring retainer on the striker spring rod. That washer causes drag and inconsistency. These are really a cheap, simple, slick solution with no known downside or trade-off. http://btguiderods.com/category/steyr-acc/

I'd like to try reshaping the ejector. Is there some site that shows what shape it oughta be?

Interesting spring retainer. The striker spring looks interesting too. Never knew about those!

I'd like to try reshaping the ejector. Is there some site that shows what shape it oughta be?

Interesting spring retainer. The striker spring looks interesting too. Never knew about those!

You might ask BT (his real name is Bill). He is a buddy, and I am one of his guinea pigs at times. I would also call or email Jeff at Steyr and ask him for a new extractor. I just got off the phone with Jeff and asked him about this, he recommended the extractor first, and was not enthusiastic about shaping the ejector. Make sure that you have the dome shaped extractor plunger, and not the bevel/angled extractor plunger. That part is immediately visible behind the extractor and is what pushes the extractor. If it looks round, you are fine. If it has an angle, ask for the new domed plunger also. It is free either way.

The email is jreece@steyrarms.com, include your address. Jeff is a really good guy, but is busy and I sometimes have had to ask twice to get the stuff. If you call him he still wants an email with address in it.

Also, the replacement striker spring is softer, and it is less "kinky" when on the guide rod. It will make trigger pull nicer, but it may give light strikes or reset problems, depending on tolerance stack in individual pistols. It works perfectly in some of my MA1 guns and not at all in others. Bill notes that on the website. I would NOT use it in a carry gun.

I can recommend the Delrin striker cups unconditionally.

You might ask BT (his real name is Bill). He is a buddy, and I am one of his guinea pigs at times. I would also call or email Jeff at Steyr and ask him for a new extractor. I just got off the phone with Jeff and asked him about this, he recommended the extractor first, and was not enthusiastic about shaping the ejector. Make sure that you have the dome shaped extractor plunger, and not the bevel/angled extractor plunger. That part is immediately visible behind the extractor and is what pushes the extractor. If it looks round, you are fine. If it has an angle, ask for the new domed plunger also. It is free either way.

The email is jreece@steyrarms.com, include your address. Jeff is a really good guy, but is busy and I sometimes have had to ask twice to get the stuff. If you call him he still wants an email with address in it.

I have the dome plunger but the extractor looks like it's the older type.

Thanks for all your help Ben.