Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronics In Idpa Cof

Hot Brass

I've had a number of people ask me about how we use electronics in our IDPA stages and so I finally got around to shooting some video. The link below will take you to a blog where they can be found. There are a number of 2-3 min screen cam videos that discuss the motivation for using electronics, as well as the challenges associated with them. The last two videos are longer and show the electronics in action. I'm a rookie with this video stuff so keep that in mind...

Hopfully, this information will inspire some of you guys, who are doing similar things, to share what you are doing with the rest of us. I would love to see other examples of how other IDPA clubs are using technology to improve the realistic quality of their matches.

http://www.gadpa.com/blogs/weblog/archive/...DPA-stages.aspx

-Capel

Interesting.

I forwarded this post to Randy Allen, whose PLC-driven "Allen Actuators" have been used in TX state matches.

It really does make it much more interesting to have a swinger or mover that doesn't display a predictable back-and-forth motion.

Also to Ken Reed, who's designed some interesting movers (although I don't think Ken is using PLCs)

Edited by Jane

PLC's (Programmable Logic Controllers) are the heart of all industrial automation today. Many manufacturers produce PLC’s. Most electrical supply houses carry PLC's from one manufacturer or another. "Brick" style PLC's such as the one in the video are very inexpensive (sometimes less than $100).

Electrical actuators can be found in many forms. Simple solenoid types provide fast, short, linear motion for things such as activating a gravity mover or unlocking a door. TO move a target a few feet, a screw or belt driven actuator can be used. Simple actuators for the non-precise motion we are talking about here can range from $5 for a solenoid to $750 for a ball screw linear actuator.

To be used at a shooting range, power is an issue. Solenoids can be found with coils in various voltage ranges (i.e. 12VDC, 24VDC, 120VAC, 240VAC, etc.). Non-precision linear actuators typically utilize either DC motors with 90VDC or 180VDC winding which require a 120VAC or 240VAC power source or they can be found with single phase 120VAC or 240VAC motors.

For low cost, capable PLC's, I would recommend Mitsubishi or Omron. A Mitsubishi FX1S-14MR-ES/UL has 10-24VDC inputs and 6-relay outputs. The inputs are used to connect a sensor to (i.e. a switch). The outputs are used to activate something based on a switch or combination of switches. This particular unit can be purchased for approx. $110.

I can talk about this for hours but I'll stop with this simple dissertation.

I'd sure like to know where you could purchase a PLC such as this one?

What about the actuators too ?

I chose to use a Crouzet PLC. See http://www.gadpa.com/blogs/weblog/archive/...-selection.aspx for more information on both the PLC and linear actuators we use.

Nifty little systems. With all of the A/B stuff out there surely an SLC 50 or one of the family can be had with ease surplused somewhere. But your not talking about running a trasfer press or something along that line. Not like you need a PLC5.

Looks like the ladder is easy to pgm. Not a lot of need for RFID, FIFO, or data manipulation to actuate a few valves and look at photo eyes and switches.

Someone at a club I know had a "corporate donation" from a piece of equipment that was hitting the scrap pile. Makes a match pretty cool.

I thought you did a good job with the videos!!! One question however since the PLC has to initially be programmed from a computer do these only work off pc format or is MAC supported?

Thanks

Just a thought could a system be designed for a plate rack so that the plates popped up at random intervals? kinda like that old game where you had to hit the frogs with a hammer when they popped up?

Edited by harley45

I thought you did a good job with the videos!!! One question however since the PLC has to initially be programmed from a computer do these only work off pc format or is MAC supported?

Thanks

Just a thought could a system be designed for a plate rack so that the plates popped up at random intervals? kinda like that old game where you had to hit the frogs with a hammer when they popped up?

None of the PLC's I looked at had software for the MAC. Most of them did have some sort of serial or USB type of interface, but you would have to program the controller in a very low level language and then send it via the serial interface. No fun in that.

I'm sure you could come up with a way to activate a plate rack, but you would probably need to use solenoids of some sort. Linear actuators would be too slow and too expensive.

I'd sure like to know where you could purchase a PLC such as this one?

What about the actuators too ?

I chose to use a Crouzet PLC. See http://www.gadpa.com/blogs/weblog/archive/...-selection.aspx for more information on both the PLC and linear actuators we use.

Nifty little systems. With all of the A/B stuff out there surely an SLC 50 or one of the family can be had with ease surplused somewhere. But your not talking about running a trasfer press or something along that line. Not like you need a PLC5.

Looks like the ladder is easy to pgm. Not a lot of need for RFID, FIFO, or data manipulation to actuate a few valves and look at photo eyes and switches.

Someone at a club I know had a "corporate donation" from a piece of equipment that was hitting the scrap pile. Makes a match pretty cool.

The Crouzet sofware has two modes of programming, ladder and function block diagrams. I used the FBD method. We experimented with RF transmitter/receivers, but they have not proven to be very reliable. Especially in bad weather.

Edited by Hot Brass

Just a quick note to say well done.

For controllers, I recommend a mini PLC from Splatco in Australia. The web site is www.splatco.com.au They are easy to program, i.e., you don't have to learn ladder logic.

I have one that I am planning to use to control my Bianchi Mover and eventually to control a turning target system for the Practical and Barricade Events.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

That is really cool stuff. Much more practical and less expensive than the system I saw this year at the Michigan IDPA State Match.

The system at that match used electronic eyes to activate the various targets. As you moved through CoF when you broke the beam it would make targets appear and disappear. In sone ection if you failed to use cover properly it hid the target before were able to engage it.

I believe it utilized air systems rather than hydraulic. My guess that system costed tens of thousands compared to this.

Just a quick note to say well done.

For controllers, I recommend a mini PLC from Splatco in Australia. The web site is www.splatco.com.au They are easy to program, i.e., you don't have to learn ladder logic.

I have one that I am planning to use to control my Bianchi Mover and eventually to control a turning target system for the Practical and Barricade Events.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

Hi Jim,

I looked at Splatco after you suggested it months ago, but ultimately decided to go with the Crouzet PLC's. The Crouzet programming environment is more user friendly and intuitive than the Splatco programming language. Plus, I like the packaging of the M3 controllers and the operator interface better. Jason told me you were working on a mover. I would like to hear about what you've done when you finish.

-Capel

Geee....and I thought it would be highspeed if I cobbled something together out of an old garage door opener.

:D

That has been attempted. It didnt work quite right. Many garage door openers have an auto-shut off system that renders the system useless if the "door" is opened too many times in a given time period. Brings the match to a hault. however for practice you can do some cool stuff with a door opener and some pulleys. :ph34r:

Edited by austinkroe

Geee....and I thought it would be highspeed if I cobbled something together out of an old garage door opener.

:D

That has been attempted. It didnt work quite right. Many garage door openers have an auto-shut off system that renders the system useless if the "door" is opened too many times in a given time period. Brings the match to a hault. however for practice you can do some cool stuff with a door opener and some pulleys. :ph34r:

The key is "old". Austin is correct, we tried doing this with a new garage door opener which has this circuitry that prevents a 4 yr old from pressing the button 50 times. I have seen older openers that don't have this safety feature work, however. Our experience was that the screw drive (or chain drive) is too slow for what we wanted to do.