Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dmw Ez Loader

cmzneb

I bought this easy loader, and one gun smith in the area says he's done one before, but wants $90 to install it. RIGHT, I can ruin three of these things before I pay someone else $90 to install it. Other gun smiths I've talked to will do it, but aren't familiar with it, so they won't commit to a $$$ amount up front. Sorry I don't trust them.

So I put the darn thing on my 11-87 and finally got it to fit. All you had to do was barelytouch the easy loader for the bolt to release, and the bolt wouldn't lock back once the gun emptied. So I took on the task of trying to file the tab so the easy loader traveled a little before releasing.

I filed a little, tried it... No different. Filed a little more, no difference. And over and over and over and over.

Well apparently I filed to much because now it won't release at all. Is this Dave's Metal company a friendly flexible company that will help me out with getting this figured out? I'm not real thrilled about their comment on the instructions to take to a gunsmith if you don't understand. Well their instructions suck, couldn't be any more vague and the "gunsmiths" around here aren't all familiar with installing their part.

HELP!!! :wacko:

The EZ-Loader really is best installed by someone who has done it properly before.

Irony here is by the time you are done doing it yourself the first time, you will then be qualified to do it yourself.

I had mine done by a smith who knew the little/big tricks. 15 years later, it's still in place and functioning properly.

Shawn Carlok at Defensive Edge and the folks at JP Rifles know how to do it right.

....the bolt wouldn't lock back once the gun emptied. So I took on the task of trying to file the tab so the easy loader traveled a little before releasing.

I filed a little, tried it... No different. Filed a little more, no difference. And over and over and over and over.

Well apparently I filed to much because now it won't release at all.

HELP!!! :wacko:

Trust me ---- that's preferable to the other way this installation can go ---- where the gun locks open after every shot with a shell on the carrier......

I did that --- and shot the Mason-Dixon 3 gun that way earlier this year' not fun! There must have been something funky about the three inch lifter that came in my 1100 --- because when I ordered and modified the second one, I got the EZ Loader working like it should, though it too failed to lock open on empty until I filed the engagement a bit. The trick on filing that tab is to go slow ---- you can reportedly go too far in about ten strokes of the file.

Given how much time it takes, I think paying someone $90 or more if they knew how to install one would be doable......

.....then again I'm a masochist, who keeps buying Sweeney's gunsmithing books and attempting al kinds of crazy stuff myself. It's cool when it works though.....

You would think somebody would have posted pics of the process by now.

There are a number opf threads on the EZ loader...a search may pull up some helpful info?

Yeah, you would think so. One guy begged for someone to scan the directions. I bought one and couldn't get it working and didn't have the directions. I was told that I was only 2 swipes away from perfection. <_<

I called and spoke to Dave at DMW who was very nice, but never emailed me the directions like he said that he would. It's just got to be easier than all of this. I'd send it to JP and be done with it. I got so pissed off that I sold the gun.

Edited by .40AET

Fitting an EZ-Loader is a cut and try process. I figger stuff like this is best left to folks who have done it literally hundreds of times. Learning how to do something yourself when you will only do it once, or twice in a lifetime is not worth it IMO. I only take processes in-house if I will need to do it more than a couple times in my life. $90 is cheap at the price compared to hours of my time followed by days of frustration when the processs goes awry, followed by more hours of my time after the new parts are in hand again.

Stepping over a quarter to pick up a nickel is something you need to do a few times in your life before ya' figure out how to avoid that type of situation in the future. Kinda' like learning how to install the EZ-Loader properly ;-)

You are right, there are a ton of threads about this thing... Believe me I've searched and read.... Someone did scan in the instructions on this forum, but the instructions suck, as many other people have pointed out.

I guess I will just order another one and call this Dave's metal works to clarify the instructions. I will then make it a goal to take some good digital pictures of where to file as well as write some better instructions and post them on this forum once I'm successful with installing this thing.

Back to the stock release button for now.

There is a thread on the high road about using a loading gate from the Rem. Competition Master. The button is about twice the size of the regular 1100 button and it should drop in with no trouble. The part is $30 from Remington. It may not be quite as good as the easy loader, but may be more of a sure thing for do-it yourself guys.

I'm still thinking it over.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=235827

Patience is a virtue with the EZ Loader. I installed my own on my 11-87 back in the mid-90s, and it is still going strong. Apart from one broken roll pin a couple of years ago, it has worked 100%. If you are patient, then the instructions that came with the part are quite adequate. If you are impatient, then pay the $90.

Here are the instructions:

430757-big.PNG

I installed my easy loader, and had a little frustration. Most of it came from not knowing how stuff was supposed to fit/work. I agree that you have to struggle through it "blind" and then you do it, and then you know how. It's kind of odd, that once you complete a job, and don't need to do it again, that's when you know how to do it. What ever you do, if two parts are barely not clearing, DON'T try to tweak them with a pair of needlenose pliars!! :blink:

Remington loves us guys who are all thumbs and calls them to pruchase a .05cent part for $4.95.

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I got lucky today as I just installed an easy loader on my 1100 today and everything seems to run perfectly. I think I will have to shorten it up a little and maybe open up the bottom of the receiver at the mag tube. Don't be scared guys. I probably spent a careful hour installing it.

On past threads, I advised people to buy Pat Sweeny's shotgun book. Worth its cost on this installation alone. And then it will help with other stuff too. Even better if your local library has it...

Yeah, not the most straightforward thing to install, but now that I have tuned mine, it works great. I also tuned the loading path and it loads easy too. Search this forum and you will find all kinds of stuff on it.

Billski

• 5 weeks later...
Trust me ---- that's preferable to the other way this installation can go ---- where the gun locks open after every shot with a shell on the carrier......

This is what my 11-87 is doing post easyloader install. Am I screwed at this point, and in need of a new carrier, or is there an adjustment that I'm not smart enough to see on my own?

This is what my 11-87 is doing post easyloader install. Am I screwed at this point, and in need of a new carrier, or is there an adjustment that I'm not smart enough to see on my own?

Man, I wish I had an answer for that one......

On my shotgun, I needed a new carrier ---- but that was a relatively inexpensive part......

Of course since I lost faith for a little while, I also bought a whole spare trigger group and fitted another EZ Loader to that ---- I figure if I ever have a real problem during a match, I'll just change out trigger groups.....

Double check to make sure the carrier dog is not binding at the bottom. Mine took a little tweaking as it bent a hair during installation. Also double check that the two springs that look way too similar are not switched. They are the two plunger springs (one is behind the carrier dog and the other is at the top of the trigger group). If you reverse these, it will lock after every shot. I don't have the correct terms for the two plunger springs in front of me, but I bet someone can chime in with the knowledge..

Hope that works. A good working 11-- with an ez-loader is a happy 11--!! :)

Mike

• 2 months later...

I just did mine today. Was having issues w/ the rounds comming out of the Tec Loader tubes being pushed out of alignment on my 1100CM during loading. I though i would try out the EazyLoader b4 i did anything else.

Man, now i know why gunsmiths charge so much to install this part. Its a royal pain in the butt to fit, check, fit, check. It must have taken me about 90 min just to get the easyloader to fit into the gun. I got it after 2.5hrs of fliing. Well i hope i got it, anyway. I guess ill find out this weekend at the local 3gun match.

I have an easy loader on my old 1100 and the roll pins kept deforming and shearing.....so I ended up putting a solid, harder pin in it and it seems to work great.

I have always wondered....with all the work that goes into putting one of these on, couldnt a guy take a piece of metal, cut to the right length and width....and attach it to the release button....by either welding or 2 screws?? Seems to me that I have seen that done once before, many years ago.