Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Pictures

shooterbenedetto

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On March 12, 2017 at 9:18 PM, tyler2you said:

Just finished this one up this evening.  PT Frame, Grip, and Safeties; KKM Barrel and Bedell Max Comp.  Brazos cut the slide for me and I did the rest of the work.  This is my 3rd 2011build and the most challenging yet.  Test fire this afternoon was flawless.

t7o3uu.jpg

2efoqhv.jpg

So how do you like the Everglades mount.  Im Leaning towards one. The Cheely offset looks odd to my eyes. Tks

Edited by a matt
GUN looks great too.

1 minute ago, a matt said:

So how do you like the Everglades mount.  Im Leaning towards one. The Cheely offset looks odd to my eyes. Tks

I'm happy with it so far.  Can't speak to reliability as I've only got around 600 rounds on it.  It's clean, simple and comes at a great price.

16 minutes ago, a matt said:

Thanks, i coldn't take it i just ordered myself one too. 

8 hours ago, Grendel said:

What type of base pads are the "brushed" ones?! Nice triple :)

I actually don't know who made them. They came on a set of 5 old style sv 140s I bought. They are quite nice. They retain with a set screw in the front that wedges the front of the tube between the head of the screw and the front of the pad. They are nice on 140s for some extra weight and length. :)

5 hours ago, dansedgli said:

How do you find the rts2 compared to the sideways mount? Much higher?

I LOVE the rts2. I don't notice the small height difference at all.

one thing that started to bug me with the 90 mount was my weak hand thumb being crowded and wedged into the mount leg. Ive now got a split thumb nail from that which is permanently split!

the rts gives nice clear ejection path, plenty of room on the left for wh thumb and dot is basically as low as a 90 cmore. 

I just bought a brazos rts mount for the sv and it will soon wear an rts2 as well. I'll probably even stick one on my 22/45 steel gun which currently has an upright cmore. 

Amatt, if you don't like the cheely rts2 mount check out the Brazos slipstream rts2 mount. I like that it has no shield. I really think when set back the rts2 doesn't need a shield even with Popple holes. 

I was was planning to replace the cheely mounts on my 2 cks but the offset (which is small) hasn't presented any problem yet. I don't notice it when shooting and haven't yet found any real windage issue with zeroing it. 

To be honest if I change it'll probably be to get a mount with no shield. I think they look cleaner. :)

Thanks mate. I dont run a thumb rest because of that issue too. 

I'd like to put it back on but the upright old cmore has too much offset for my liking.  Some clubs complain when I shoot their ports. Lol. 

Where did you buy your rts2s?

Edited by dansedgli

yeah, I couldn't stand a traditional upright cmore either (used one for a while). but like you I miss the space on the left side of the gun for my thumb and for a thumb rest.

my 2 X RTS2's came on my CK guns.

most places here want $615 AUD. someone (I thought it was edge) had them for about $580 which is pretty good since they are basically $420 USD, I think ASI had them for a good price too. The issue in Aus though is getting one in 8moa and also getting a V4. The few I've seen around Aus weren't V4's and no one seems to have a 8moa (some don't even have the 6moa).

in the RTS2 the 8MOA is roughly equivalent in appearance to a 6moa slide ride (I'd say it's probably like a 7moa dot).

my 2 current RTS2's also aren't V4's so they are going back to cmore in a couple of weeks to get upgraded. When that happens I'm going to buy a couple new ones direct from cmore which will ensure I get V4's and also give me the ability to get more 8 Moa versions. The cost of getting one from the US would be somewhere close to $600 too (maybe $580?) but it would ensure V4. 

If you want in, let me know. It will save a bit on shipping etc as I'll already be buying at least 3 of them, more likely 5. 

4 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

I actually don't know who made them. They came on a set of 5 old style sv 140s I bought. They are quite nice. They retain with a set screw in the front that wedges the front of the tube between the head of the screw and the front of the pad. They are nice on 140s for some extra weight and length. :)

Cool, thank you. 

6 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

...To be honest if I change it'll probably be to get a mount with no shield. I think they look cleaner. :)

It is pretty easy to cut the blast shield off and fair in/profile the mount so it looks like it was designed that way.  I've done it to a couple on guns that didn't need a blast shield as I think it looks cleaner, too. 

Edited by Bamboo

15 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

I just bought a brazos rts mount for the sv and it will soon wear an rts2 as well. I'll probably even stick one on my 22/45 steel gun which currently has an upright cmore.

I just put an RTS2 8moa dot on my 22/45 steel gun to match the same sight on my Open gun...  I had a sideways C-More and switching from my new Open gun made me realize that I couldn't see much on the left hand side with the horizontal mount...  plus, wanted a more consistent sight picture...

I bought an OuterImpact mount on Amazon...  RTS2 fits well...  It has pins, while some of the more expensive mounts don't...  Shoots well...  I did enlarge the bottom of the mount near the ejection port... 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019HJ2ZIO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice collection of Open guns you have there!

Thanks for the tip raylan. I have my current cmore on (from memory) a rim edge mount. It's upright but since the mount is directly on top of the upper and is very thin the height is not so bad. I was planning to just drill and tap new holes for the rts2 but a new mount with locating pins would be better. 

On 17/04/2017 at 4:36 AM, juancruz said:

Hey, Can you give me a review of the CK ???

Thanks 

J+

Basically I'm happy with my ck's. 

For not much more than an sti you get top shelf fire control parts and small parts (safety, slide stop etc). 

Their steel grip is nice. I really like the texture but I do prefer the deeper rear on the pt evo or sv signature. 

The guns seem to be fitted well. Much better than many recent sti's Ive played with. One of mine was especially tight to the point where I question it was too tight perhaps.

i really like the finishes on them. Pvd is awesome though both of mine had some very small blemishes (one had pinprick spot on the grip, the other had 2 small blemishes on the barrel). 

I like the balance of the gun with steel grip and titanium comp. 

the gun shoots nicely and very flat but also not harsh (some flat shooting guns are very hard in the hand). Mine are 38 super and I run 3n38 which I'm sure contributes. 

I do wish the triggers were nicer out of the box. All the parts for a great trigger are there but they clearly didn't take the time to 'set' each trigger. One of mine was quite long in both pre and overtravel and pulled about 2lb 8-10oz (from memory), it's also not perfectly 'crisp' so I think it needs some sear work on top of adjusting the travel and the sear spring. The other was also 2lb8oz but was nice and short and very crisp/clean breaking so that one can likely be set to 2lb with just some adjustment of the sear spring. 

I think for the money and considering they're using top shelf bits a proper, nice 2lb trigger is a fair ask. Yes that likely means some time cutting the sear face and 30min adjusting and checking each gun but triggers are the tactile part of the gun and something people remember about 'nice' guns. 

I also think a pinned grip safety would be nice on a competition marketed 'semi-custom'. But it's an easy fix. 

I also wish their steel grip would accept regular 2011 magwells (no idea why they made it different). Same with mag catch though I 'think' normal 2011 catch will work you'd just need to shape the right side to match the grip contour there. I also think they should have done the steel grip to accept sv triggers or have it as an option. Changing trigger shoes is a nice way to tune the gun to the user. 

So overall pretty happy.

All the parts are high quality.

The fit on important stuff is nice and a level above the average sti. 

Finish is excellent. 

The gun feels nice to shoot and so far has been very reliable with just a couple teething issues. 

I think they do an excellent job of filling a gap in the market between say a $3k sti turbor and a $7k infinity custom. 

I think most people would feel they are good value. 

4 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

Basically I'm happy with my ck's. 

For not much more than an sti you get top shelf fire control parts and small parts (safety, slide stop etc). 

Their steel grip is nice. I really like the texture but I do prefer the deeper rear on the pt evo or sv signature. 

The guns seem to be fitted well. Much better than many recent sti's Ive played with. One of mine was especially tight to the point where I question it was too tight perhaps.

i really like the finishes on them. Pvd is awesome though both of mine had some very small blemishes (one had pinprick spot on the grip, the other had 2 small blemishes on the barrel). 

I like the balance of the gun with steel grip and titanium comp. 

the gun shoots nicely and very flat but also not harsh (some flat shooting guns are very hard in the hand). Mine are 38 super and I run 3n38 which I'm sure contributes. 

I do wish the triggers were nicer out of the box. All the parts for a great trigger are there but they clearly didn't take the time to 'set' each trigger. One of mine was quite long in both pre and overtravel and pulled about 2lb 8-10oz (from memory), it's also not perfectly 'crisp' so I think it needs some sear work on top of adjusting the travel and the sear spring. The other was also 2lb8oz but was nice and short and very crisp/clean breaking so that one can likely be set to 2lb with just some adjustment of the sear spring. 

I think for the money and considering they're using top shelf bits a proper, nice 2lb trigger is a fair ask. Yes that likely means some time cutting the sear face and 30min adjusting and checking each gun but triggers are the tactile part of the gun and something people remember about 'nice' guns. 

I also think a pinned grip safety would be nice on a competition marketed 'semi-custom'. But it's an easy fix. 

I also wish their steel grip would accept regular 2011 magwells (no idea why they made it different). Same with mag catch though I 'think' normal 2011 catch will work you'd just need to shape the right side to match the grip contour there. I also think they should have done the steel grip to accept sv triggers or have it as an option. Changing trigger shoes is a nice way to tune the gun to the user. 

So overall pretty happy.

All the parts are high quality.

The fit on important stuff is nice and a level above the average sti. 

Finish is excellent. 

The gun feels nice to shoot and so far has been very reliable with just a couple teething issues. 

I think they do an excellent job of filling a gap in the market between say a $3k sti turbor and a $7k infinity custom. 

I think most people would feel they are good value. 

BeerBaron, Thank you so much for taking the time to do such a detailed review
These agree with the improvements that advise.
I did not know that the STI/SV magwell and triggers were not compatible !!!!

Thanks a lot 

J+

You can switch to a sv trigger if you like but you have to open up the channel in the grip a little. It's pretty common to have to do this but personally I wish they offered a 'sv trigger' version. 

With the magwell if you have their steel grip you are locked in to their magwells. Fortunately they have 3 versions. 

1 is basically the same as Dawson ice. 

1 is basically the same as Dawson ice big hands

The third one is smaller like a standard sti magwell (no ice insert) which makes it suitable for idpa and ipsc standard division. 

So they have most bases covered but I can't see why not make the fit the same as all the double stack sti type magwells.

fortunately I'm happy with their magwells, but if I had say a really expensive cape magwell that I wanted to keep using it would rule out the steel grip. I could still buy a ck with plastic grip though.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hello: My new open pistol for 2017 is done. Major 9mm, aluminum C-More click type 4MOA, SVI mount, TruBor blank with my comp cut, STI 5" unique slide. STI 5" long wide frame cut back, EGW hammer and sear, ISMI recoil and mainspring. I made this one on the heavy side just to try it. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0928.JPG