Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll: How Many Chronographs Have You Murdered?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't shot one yet,

Howver my brother shot mine about two weeks ago, he replaced it and we upgraded it to a beta. yesterday after shooting some loads over it. and thankfully writing down the data my buddy who was with me (and a bullseye shooter with his bullseye gun) shot my new one the first time out.

he was present when my brother shot mine his words were " for 20 bucks I won't tell anyone"

my words were to him "for twenty bucks I won't tell anyone especially my brother"

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great thread! I haven't killed mine yet, but I tested fate with about 25 shots at it (sorry, through it) last Friday.

I'm in the process of dialing in my fixed sights on my new Smith & Wesson M&P9, so I'm testing to figuring out what front sight height I'll need for zero at 25 yds... Problem is that my current sight combo has my POI about 5 inches high at the moment (not to mention about 2" left), so I had stacked about .033" of little pieces of black electrical tape on top of my front sight to bring things roughly back to level... and my trigger is still a stock 6.5#er, so consistency is a bit of a challenge anyway. That 2" sweet spot was starting to look pretty tiny at 25 yards away :surprise:

With each shot I took, I half expected to see my chrony explode, but alas, it survived another day!

• 2 months later...
This is a great thread! I haven't killed mine yet, but I tested fate with about 25 shots at it (sorry, through it) last Friday.

I'm in the process of dialing in my fixed sights on my new Smith & Wesson M&P9, so I'm testing to figuring out what front sight height I'll need for zero at 25 yds... Problem is that my current sight combo has my POI about 5 inches high at the moment (not to mention about 2" left), so I had stacked about .033" of little pieces of black electrical tape on top of my front sight to bring things roughly back to level... and my trigger is still a stock 6.5#er, so consistency is a bit of a challenge anyway. That 2" sweet spot was starting to look pretty tiny at 25 yards away :surprise:

With each shot I took, I half expected to see my chrony explode, but alas, it survived another day!

I dont know if I would be zeroing my gun through a chrono.... unless you want to join those who have "killed" a chrono. I tested 100 rounds for the first time the other day without any problems. I'm glad I havent experienced the things some of you have but I am glad you all shared them.... great laughs for sure.

I dont know if I would be zeroing my gun through a chrono.... unless you want to join those who have "killed" a chrono. I tested 100 rounds for the first time the other day without any problems. I'm glad I havent experienced the things some of you have but I am glad you all shared them.... great laughs for sure.

I voted for three. A chrony many years ago, and two IR uprights over the last several years while working matches. I have a CED with a nasty gouge in the front sensor, but it still works.

In my defense, if needed, all of these hits were done off and pistol perch and the problems was other peoples guns. After I have a round take out a skyscreen upright and come out the left side of the chronograph box, the shooter then said he thought his gun shot a "little" left.

I was lucky this weekend in that I did not get either of my chronos while shooting several "heavy metal" rifles with iron sights.

Shoot enough guns with trigger pulls from a stiff bee fart to a 11 pound trigger pull and even a pistol rest will not be enough sometimes. :D

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

I shot 2 skyscreen supports this weekend at the sectional match once was my fault, but that was the crappiest trigger on a 1911 I have ever handled. The second one was because this guy is shooting a glock with some black bullet and it was tumbling so bad that at 20 ft the target we had behind the chrono to aim at it was shooing about 10" at 20 ft. 1 round actually veered so fast that it went in between 2 screen uprights and never hit either but you could see a perfect side profile of the bullet in the target low and right fo the aim point for the chrono. :surprise:

• 4 weeks later...

My Pact Model 1's skyscreens have been shot 3 times, twice by me and once by a friend. Fortunately they're cheap, and Pact has gotten replacements out right away.

First time, my friend shot the screens with my Ruger 44 Mag Redhawk. I'm not sure how that happened.

Second time, I shot the screens with my Smith 44 Mag. I was chronographing 300 grain hard cast loads and it turned me into a flinching idiot - oops.

Third time, my MAK90 doubled when I was doing some load testing.

Allan

• 3 years later...

I know a guy who killed two in one day.

I also had the local Military kill two in one week. Same guy, same gun, same ammo, same distance, same result. Gun was grouping larger than the available area to shoot through.

Can we invite him to be the chrono officer at Major matches? roflol.gif

I had won a Competition Electronic Chrono off a prize table, took it out for the first time (several years ago), set it up and put 4 rounds over the top of it just to get dialed in. I was using my range bag as a rest, after the 4 rounds I took out the ammo I wanted to chrono and zipped the bag bag up. Loaded up the mag with 5 rounds, lined up, took aim using the bag as a rest and because I took the ammo out left a void there, the top of the bag collapsed in some and bam, put a 200gr swc 45acp round right thru the lcd read out. The chrono sitting on the tri pod did it best acting job of a cowboy in an old western " oh, ya got me", it rocked back on two of the legs, then slowly spun and fell over......dead. The guy down the line from me at the range yelled over " hey, I think you shot your chrono"..... yeah I did, killed it as a matter of fact

Edited by fortyfiveshooter

• 1 month later...

Chronos killed? none

Skyscreens killed.....uhhh, haha, lets not go there.

You're about as good as me. :roflol:

All of mine were shot with a handgun but not with a rifle (.338LM). :lol:

I spent about $200 on skyscreens etc in one year, a few years ago. :surprise:

• 4 months later...

My first PACT survived a while un-injured, until the day a friend gave me some ammo to chrono. He said, "These are 45 ACP 265 grain Buffalo Stompers". I was so nervous shooting them that I did some serious "anticipating recoil" and pulled one low at 6 o'clock, right through both sensor housings.

Quite embarrassing!