Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Davinci Code

My wife and I went to the local discount theater to watch this movie. Summary: it is an earnestly acted, competently photographed piece of conspiratorial, head-spinningly convoluted claptrap.

I mean, a 2,000 year old conspiracy? With a secret group that for over a thousand years has been building, storing, keeping and hiding a marble mausoleum? (That looks in pristine condition despite its age.)

The whole time Tom Hanks has an expression on his face that I finally figured out halfway through: "How'd I get into this mess?"

There was no plot twist I didn't see (sometimes literally) an hour ahead of time.

If it wasn't so long, it'd be a candidate for "So bad its good" nomination.

Apparently the movie was "better" than the book, which is kinda scary
I attempted to read the book on a trans-atlantic flight last year. That copy stayed in a wastebasket in Heathrow with only the first chapter barely scathed'

If the movie is worse than the book, then I can only wish it upon my worst enemies ;-)

I liked the book quite a bit, though it started slow. I thought the movie was ok, though not nearly as good as the book. "Angels and Demons" was also very good. He wrote another book also called "Digital Fortress" which pretty much sucked ass.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm about ready to start Angels and Demons, but after Digtial Fortress and Deception Point---plus what I keep hearing about DaVinci Code--I expect more of the same: Stories that are pedal-mashed-to-the-floor action films of the mind. Heavily detailed scenarios of unlikely-as-hell visceral situations. It would be very expensive to produce Deception Point into a movie (especially the glacier scene). But then, if you LIKE action movies... :rolleyes:

I'm about ready to start Angels and Demons, but after Digtial Fortress and Deception Point---plus what I keep hearing about DaVinci Code--I expect more of the same: Stories that are pedal-mashed-to-the-floor action films of the mind. Heavily detailed scenarios of unlikely-as-hell visceral situations. It would be very expensive to produce Deception Point into a movie (especially the glacier scene). But then, if you LIKE action movies... :rolleyes:

SIG Lady,

Angels and Demons is 100000X better than Digital Fortress! I promise that the plot twist isn't "Why the hell did I waste a week of free time reading this crap!"

• 2 months later...
I mean, a 2,000 year old conspiracy? With a secret group that for over a thousand years has been building, storing, keeping and hiding a marble mausoleum? (That looks in pristine condition despite its age.)

Um....it's a movie based on a novel!

SIG Lady,

Angels and Demons is 100000X better than Digital Fortress! I promise that the plot twist isn't "Why the hell did I waste a week of free time reading this crap!"

well I used to work for the NSA and he pretty much has the people pegged spot on...and Angles and Demons is not that much better than Digital Fortress...IMO.. :lol:

Actually, I was loaned a copy of DaVinci Code so I haven't read Angels and Demons yet. Haven't seen the movie. Was advised to read the book first. Well, DaVinci was more sensitively written than Digital Fortress but contained some of the same continent-hopping, outrageous adventuring as both Fortress and Deception Point.

Onward now to Angels and Demons! (Would've gotten to it sooner but have read about five or so other books since I last posted about all this......)

Actually, I was loaned a copy of DaVinci Code so I haven't read Angels and Demons yet. Haven't seen the movie. Was advised to read the book first. Well, DaVinci was more sensitively written than Digital Fortress but contained some of the same continent-hopping, outrageous adventuring as both Fortress and Deception Point.

Onward now to Angels and Demons! (Would've gotten to it sooner but have read about five or so other books since I last posted about all this......)

I am sure that you will at least be entertained. If not...blame tightloop :)