Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate 243 Loads

ap3

I have been using a 243 with H4350(45.3grains) and a Hornady 87gr V-max bullet, and getting very consistent groups about .010 off the lands. My best 5 shot group is about 9/10 of an inch. I was wondering if anyone had a load they liked better, or if they had found by increasing the powder charge they received better results. My savage seems to like more pressure.

Any good thoughts or pet loads?

• 4 years later...

I've been using 3031 for 20 years now. 75 grain Sierras and 90 grain BTs. I have to go out to 200 yards to be able to see antything besides one hole. I am about a half grain below max on both loads.

What twist is your Savage barrel? All of the 243's we run and that I have built for others run a faster twist. 105-115gr bullets with H4350 or RL22 work pretty well. In my hybrid 243 (similar to a 243AI), we run 115 Dtacs and RL22 combo. Accuracy is well under 1/2moa and speeds are very fast.

What twist is your Savage barrel? All of the 243's we run and that I have built for others run a faster twist. 105-115gr bullets with H4350 or RL22 work pretty well. In my hybrid 243 (similar to a 243AI), we run 115 Dtacs and RL22 combo. Accuracy is well under 1/2moa and speeds are very fast.

Well, it has been so long since I did the first post I have forgetten. It is the standard barrel, and I remember I had to use under 100gr bullets becasue of the twist.

• 4 weeks later...

Speer 90 grain spitzer bullet

43.5 grains of IMR 4350

Remington 9 1/2 primer

Winchester cases

Variable COAL depending on specific rifle

I have shot this load in three Remington M700 rifles, one Ruger M77 rifle and two Winchester M70 rifles over the years dating back to 1973. Barrel lengths have ranged from 20" to 24".

Every single one of the aforementioned rifles has produced 1" or less groups (some were 1/2") with this load. It is the only load in caliber .243 Winchester that has provided such consistent accuracy in so many different firearms for me.

YMMV

Good luck

• 6 months later...