Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plate rack times

Steve Moneypenny

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Oh yeah almost forgot to mention the strong hand only plate rack new best: 3.49sec with the same gear. DA first shot is the hard part.

I was reloading my mags when you were on that stage with the plate rack at Old Fort; it sounded like someone threw a bunch of firecrackers in a mailbox! :o

• 10 months later...

First off, you guys rock. There are some darned impressive times posted in this thread.

Shot the plates several runs today (after finally figuring out my bo-mar was a bit off and correcting) at 12 yards. My times were as follows:

"Best" run: 4.13 clean

Avg: 5.00

It seemed like my draw was hanging around 1.5-1.65 and splits were fairly consistently 0.5.

This is running my 6" Fat Free out of my blade-tech DOH. And of course, I had the tape on my glasses as well. :)

Well, it is a starting point. I have a ways to go to get back in shooting shape.

• 3 months later...

I had an aaaallllmost the other day with Blackbird. Woulda Coulda been a new pb.

We were talking about how fast PaulW shoots plates, and Matt was mumbling about his draws in the .80s...

My next run, my LAST RUN OF THE DAY, I took a beep and went .86, .24, .26., .25.......CLICK!!!! :blink: the gun ran dry. :surprise: I was on my way to a WAY best ever of about 2.10-ish which is only like .40+ faster than my current pb.

Oh well, another time, another beep..... :rolleyes:

Edited by dirtypool40

I'm not considered a speedy guy, that run was just a good first move and great index. I'm just sorry there weren't two more bb's in the gun.

My PB's still still languish up at 2.49-2.50.

Normally when I shoot plates now it's bianchi+ style and I am trying to go slow.

2.18...... ok, I quit. :mellow: Bully. <_<

I tried this for fun today. Some times I had to fire extra shots as I tried to control the recoil instead of working with it. From a Bladetech DOH holster at 10yards with 6 plates, on average I missed a few times and on another run I missed once and made up a shot and was in the 3.26 range, with my best run in 2.95, no misses, just 6 shots. (1.19, 1.56, 1.92,2.27, 2.62, 2.95). I used my HK USP with match (LOL) trigger. The SA is great, but the DA will never be better than a sometimes gritty 9lb with OEM parts.

My ammo was 147gr montana gold I have made from a commercial reloader at 134pf used for

this run as well as my run on 5 mini poppers at same distance of with a time of 2.83, no misses. I could not easily do this aon demand each time, but I would say it was my LOHF for me and the characteristics of this pistol.

I would say under 4 seconds with the occasional make up shot.

it is fun and I think helps me work on my timing and draw. I tried some transition drills from the Matt Burkett DVD, and seem to be improving. My split times are on average improving, and my hits are getting better.

I find my split from T3 to T1 is almost half of my Transition the opposite way.

I usually use a SPeedsec race holster and because I am shooting at Vermont is less than 2 weeks at the Aware, I started using the Bladetech. I feel it may add a 10th-15th maybe, or for some reason I feel clumsy on the draw using it. Not used to it, but I know there is at least a 15th- 25th in the draw to first shot I have to work on.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

I shot my first plate rack today. I welded up the club's broken plate rack and just got it back rolling this morning. That shtuff is fun!! I had them at 10yds and made maybe 8 runs at it. My best time clean was 2.65 from hands at side draw. The draw times are killing me at 1.3-1.4. I have to work on the mount. I had a pretty fast draw, but seem to have misplaced it. :P Anyway, with a 1.4 draw I thought 2.65 was a pretty good number. If I can get that first shot down to .9-1.0 I will have something there. The other runs were from 2.7-3.2. Hell, it was my first time... I can live with that. If anyone finds my lost time on the draw please send it home. :)

JT

EDIT This was with my STI Open with Major ammo.

Edited by JThompson

• 3 weeks later...

Found the draw... best time to first plate today was .82. That was not the norm and was done after shooting a ton of one shot draws. I shot prob 300 one shot draws on the rack tonight. I can shoot a 2.9 pretty much at will. I hit one 2.46, but that was an anomaly for the night. I can pull a 1.0 1.2 pretty much on demand now. I love shooting the rack... there is so much you can do and ya don't have to paste them damn paper targets. :)

Edited by JThompson

I shot this a few weeks ago. Mid 3's cold. Can get down around 3 warmed up but getting below 3 is a waste of ammo at this point. Draws average 1.15 at the 12 yards I shot it at. Pull back to 22 yards and I can get under 4 pretty easily with the same draw time. I was able to shoot a 3.31 at 22 yards with most in the 3.6 range once I warmed up.

Here is the deal, for me anyway, shooting plates up close is a waste of time. I learned more from 3 runs at 22 yards than I did from 15 runs at 12 yards. Press the shots out, that is what hurts me, I want to stab the trigger and move, shooting plates at longer ranges is teaching me what I need to do to actually make a shot. It doesn't matter if that shot is 3 yards or 30, you have to FINISH the shot!!!

I shot the rack some on the move from 25 yards. Finish the shot and it doesn't take much if any longer than shooting it flat footed from the same distance. Don't finish the shot and I better have a big stick loaded to get them all down....

I shot this a few weeks ago. Mid 3's cold. Can get down around 3 warmed up but getting below 3 is a waste of ammo at this point. Draws average 1.15 at the 12 yards I shot it at. Pull back to 22 yards and I can get under 4 pretty easily with the same draw time. I was able to shoot a 3.31 at 22 yards with most in the 3.6 range once I warmed up.

Here is the deal, for me anyway, shooting plates up close is a waste of time. I learned more from 3 runs at 22 yards than I did from 15 runs at 12 yards. Press the shots out, that is what hurts me, I want to stab the trigger and move, shooting plates at longer ranges is teaching me what I need to do to actually make a shot. It doesn't matter if that shot is 3 yards or 30, you have to FINISH the shot!!!

I shot the rack some on the move from 25 yards. Finish the shot and it doesn't take much if any longer than shooting it flat footed from the same distance. Don't finish the shot and I better have a big stick loaded to get them all down....

I only ran the whole rack a few times. I used it mostly to work on the draw and mount. I need to be around 1 sec or just over to call the shot. I can't wait for the larger brighter dot. I think I will be able to call it better and maybe shave off a couple tenths. If I can get the draw at 1 or just under and call it I will call that good and work on some other areas that are lacking.

I used that dot at outside for the first time and I couldn't see the thing to save my ass. I think the C-More itself might have an issue. I've changed dots and it still isn't bright and the batteries are getting drained in a few days.

The thing about shooting a dif ranges is knowing how much you need to see to get that shot where you want it. If you are 10yds you don't need to see as much. If you are 25 or more you need to see a little more. I still think that draw and fast mount is the way to go in that no matter how far you are from your target you still have to draw the gun and mount it. The faster you can get that mount the better off you will be. You might have to see a bit more and use better trigger control for that long shot, but I think the fast stuff can do nothing, but help as long as your eyes know what they need to see for a longer shot.

Edited by JThompson

My range has a couple of plate racks side by side and me and a couple of buddies where hitting them both. Center of rack to center of rack is probably 15 yards. Put you a box in the middle of one then the other. 6, reload-move, 6. I don't remember the times of the top of my head but I think I saw something like that on the burkett videos. Next time I go I'm going to do 2 reload-move, 2 reload-move, 2 reload-move until I run outta mags lol.

I hit the rack today, Shot it Bianchi style.............44 plates <_< Biggest thing is I give one away at the 15 and 20 regularly (concentration)

I did a few speed runs too, 2.89 was the first run.......I did get a 2.58 and forgot to get the draw, shot to shot times. :angry:

Maybe one day I might can run with you BIG DOGS.

Hop.

Oh yeah, I forgot..................

Revo shooting 180 PF.

Back in the FIPT days in florida, I watched joe kessler win the plate rack side match in 1.92 , I won the 5 popper shotgun match in 1.49 from port arms. Both were at 10 yds.

Damn Benny... that's fast! Do you know what the time to first shot was Ben?

1.89 in a match 3rrd out of 3. :)(Hands relaxed at sides) Guess what else? I won the match. :surprise: First time ever... house match yes, but for an U guy, not bad to win against several As. :P Look out boys and girls... I ain't going to be beat easy from here on in.

BTW I won by just under 10%.

JT

PS Did I mention I like the bigger dot? :)

EDIT: The more I think about this the more I think there must have been a timing error. I mean I'm fast on that kind of stuff, but that fast?

Edited by JThompson

.9 draw with .19 splits. That is cookin pretty good.

I couldn't do that. My best is like 2.04

I don't know Jake... I think I have to see it again to believe it. I'm sure that's what was written down and I saw the timer and there was some clapping, but I still have a hard time buying it.

I had a reload show up as a .98 during the Pres down there WITH a mag hanging in the grip that realistically was a 1.3, recorded 18 shots too and I only shot 12. Said I shot a 5.20something Pres with a 1.4 turn and a 1.3 reload? Nope. Gotta be really careful with the timers indoors, they do really strange things.