Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plate rack times

Steve Moneypenny

I don't know, maybe I just have "fast draw" envy after watching Burkett hit an .82 on a plate.

I figure it's not too bad, I am a fairly middle of the road "M" classer, and have always believed that draw and reload should be similar. Open target at 10y I am right around 1.00 for either, but 1.1-1.25 is very repeatable in a match or on plates. I actually averaged 1.15 on the draw for ten runs that day.

I work on plates because practice time is short right now and it is one of the things I am worst at. My theory has always been to work on your weaknesses until you don't have any. I have plenty of areas to work on but plates have always terrified me.

I would still like to get more consistent. With a VERY doable 1.25 draw and 5 VERY doable splits of .40 I should have an average of 3.25. I am in learning and "go for it" mode though and usually average more like 3.4 for ten runs.

Yup, I have tried the theory of missing fast enough to win, it don't work.

Lately, when I have been able to practice, times are coming down, and I am hitting more consistantly right around 3.0 doing nothing special. I hate the gun I have borrowed for now, and should have my own new Limited Blaster later this week.

Still hoping to break into the 2.50's by the FL Open. Be nice to average 3.0 for ten runs too.

Wish me luck

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bianchi rack with minor blaster is about the 2.3's that is not an average run, it is possible to go under 2 but not consistantly, for me anyways.

I think if I am in the 2.3 to 2.5 all the time I am happy.

would be great if they were all sub 2.0 but oh well.

Hand gunner is the king of rack matche, especailly against the pressure of shooting against another, really makes thing a little more intense to say the least.

Still no new pistol, don't get me started, but I did shoot with my SSC / IDPA ESP gear the other day and had some interesting times.

I had about 100 rounds of minor ammo loaded for a match that never happened, local IDPA got rained out. Anyway, I am pissed that the S_I I had borrowed for practice broke a link and was going to shoot just to put rounds down range with the single stack.

I shot some groups, and played around then I realized, maybe even with the slower draw I can make it up on the transitions using the slower ammo.

I had a bunch of decent runs, but never broke 3.0 using the minor stuff. Draw hovered around 1.3 and I usually got going really fast and had to make up a shot.

The funny thing is, after I ran out of minor IDPA ammo, I loaded up some IPSC major stuff, and went 3.06, 2.73, 2.96. Those are fast times for me shooting my Limited race rig. Hell, 2.73 is only .07 off my best ever. The draw on that run was 1.20, so I figure I was just steadier across the plates once I got shooting, even though I don't know this gun very well.

Maybe I am actually starting to improve......

I think you have to see what you need to see to know.

Plates can be an evil temptress. Because of their even spacing, with enough practice, a person could almost shoot them with their eyes closed. However, there is no dobut in my mind that my best runs on plate racks have been when my vision was turned completely on...100%

If you are missing...turn up the vision...let it be your guide.

Plates can be an evil temptress. Because of their even spacing, with enough practice, a person could almost shoot them with their eyes closed.

Absolutely.. it's super easy to knock down the first few and then start thinking you can hit them just by shooting at them. Which will, of course, make you miss.

For even more plate-fun, put two racks side-by-side. It gets much harder to stay out of a cadence with a dozen plates instead of 6.

How many times have you watched as a shooter starts zipping along...3 plates in a row...then, as if on cue, they miss the 4th plate.

I always attributed that to shooting a cadence (read: vision is turned off). Burkett pointed out another factor, that the shooters stance wasn't stable enough and the shooter was being pushed out of position by recoil.

I too, tend to miss the fourth plate.

I found that I was acquiring each new plate by moving the gun laterally with my arms w/o turning my body (no turret action). I was, with each subsequent plate, bending each arm more and more out of my usual shooting stance and making my recoil recovery more and more erratic. That (and shooting a cadence w/o really seeing the necessary) would send shot #4 down range as a hoper.

I used to think I looked through the sights at the plates, but the last time I shot them, I noticed I was seeing a stark outline of the front sight every time I pulled the trigger. That resulted in my current best out of my SSP IPDA gear. If I have less front sight focus, I tend to miss.

I shot it awhile ago and without trying to go fast i hit a sub 4 second time from the draw at 10 meters. :)

Then I tried again, 3.71, 3.87, 3.83 wow this is getting interesting :mellow:

Shot it again this time getting a harder grip not allowing the pistol's muzzle to rise high. time was 3.41 and 3.44.

I had to look through the sights both the plates and sights were blurry.

Next time ill shoot it with a clear front sight focus. :)

This is the first time i got it below 4 seconds. This topic rocks :):):)

OK, I had a good practice session today and figured I would brag a little.

New personal best, I started off ugly then when I relaxed I hit a couple of good sub 3's and then a 2.61, my new personal best with a 1.00 draw (also a new personal best for a plate @ 10y).

About 2 minutes later I hit a .98 to a plate. Then we switched to paper so no more cool plate times today. My draw was pretty quick all day though, I hit a .83 to a 1.71 Bill drill (another new personal best). Pretty easy to figure out the splits suck if you hit a .83 and don't break 1.7 but for me it picked up .15 over my old best.

Still trying to break into the 2.50's before the FL Open, running out of time.

BlkBird was there, back me up.....

BlkBird was there, back me up.....

Yes I was there, he did it and made it look easy. B)

What amazed me was the transition times between paper targets. :huh:

I still don't understand the "easy part" cause while Dirtypool was HOT, I was cold and couldn't hit a thing. :(

My 2.80 time doesn't matter if 2 plates are still standing does it?, he made my 3.40's seem slow.

I forgot, checked my records my personal best with my new gun is a 2.85 clean with a 1.31 draw?

To bad I could'nt have pulled a sub 1 sec draw, my best to a plate is a .92.

This is not consistant in any way shape or form.