Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plate rack times

Steve Moneypenny

I shot a plate rack, kind of home-made plates, not exactly a rack, but still 6 steel plates in a line. my best time was with my kimber 45 drawn from a U.M. kydex holster. using 230 grn lead at about a 168-9 PF. (idpa) the time was 3.34 with one made up miss. the best time of the day was 3.16 clean.

i am wondering how others fair on the same COF. 8" blates by the way. and some were a little smaller. just wondering what the standards are.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno, I don't practice low ready starts. I think my GSSF starts were around a second, probably less for the plate rack, definately less for the close target on "5-7-9."

Y'know, it's getting harder and harder for me to clean the plate rack in practice, but I'm getting better and better on steel in local matches.

How do you guys shoot the plates that fast???

Wow...

I am just a new guy and I have shot a couple of competitions that are man on man steel.

There is a mixture of 4" x 3" triangles, 6" plates and 4" x 9" bowling pins at 25 yards  and then the stop plate,(those triangles are sure small at 25 yards...LOL).

I have a bad habit of looking at the steel to see if it fell and I also have to remember to only watch that front sight..

I am shooting .230gr ball ammo in my .45 which has a bit of muzzle lift.

Any tips,suggestions or tricks you guys could give me on shooting plates fast would be great.

Thanks..

shooting steel in my opinion can be broken down to very basic motions. first, you should shoot in the direction you are the fastest, many high level shooters are equal in direction, i find that me and many other right handed shooters shoot from left to right fastest. i attribute this somewhat to body dynamics, and the fact that the american/english speaking language teaches our eyes to move in the same direction, there for our "untrained eyes" are reverting to the natural training.

once this direction is determined, you must have a proper stance, and index the targets properly, to your stance, the rest is simple sight alignment trigger squeeze, target transition, which can only be sped up with practice. and YES steel is a VERY big hurdle for a lot of competitors. slow down and get your hits. speed will come.

Come on guys, I know of all the super human plate times but what are the secrets of shooting steel fast???

I know am the little brother that is tagging along with the older boys here...hehe

Here is what I have figured out so far:

Solid index, npa

Front sight

Trigger control

Not looking at the steel fall

Shoot only fast enough to get your hits as speed will come.

Don't try to shoot as fast as the people who have been doing it for years..

practice, practice, practice..

Relax and have fun..

There are no Beta and Charlie shots on steel, you either hit it or you don't...

It is very humbling....

Thanks for letting me play..hehe

I tried the racks today. Shot it in 2.9 consistently with a Glock35 and my IDPA rig. Shot it in 2.7 with my limited gun and 2.4 with an open gun at 12 yds. Moved it to 25 yds and the times were all in the mid 5 sec range.

Mike4045

The Texas State Steel Challenge Championship was this weekend in Tyler.  The  Miculec's were both there, and we've got a plate rack for a side match. I don't know for sure if it was 10 or 12 yds. (probably 10) but Jerry won the side match with a 2.21 second run. He also was High Overall and 2nd Overall, since he shot an Open and Limited revolver. Just plain amazing! Kay was 3rd Open, she ain't bad either!

Bird, when shooting the plate rack I've found myself letting the gun recoil more than usual and sort of bouncing the front sight into the next plate. It's somewhat different than shooting paper, where I want the front sight to go straight up and down as quickly as possible.

I am not letting the front sight come back down to where it started. Once it is on its way up from recoil, I am at the same time moving it on to the next plate.

Just got the results back from a side event match a year ago Sept. On the plates (6 plates - 20 yd, from the rail...no draws) the winning time was my shooting partner Jeff Ferris with a 2.98, and I was second with a 3.09. 12 yd poppers (5)( also from the rail) I was 1.88 and he was 2.02.

Pat

The 25 yd drill on steel has really improved my long shots on paper. I don't hesitate like I used to when I came to longer distance  targets. I started my 9 yr old daughter on the drill on turkey day. I would like to accelerate her learning curve as much as possible. I want her to move up faster than I was able to do.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen Jerry Miculuk do 5 plates@25  in 1.8 sec with a revolver from a draw.

He practices a lot.  The only way to get speed is repetition.  Even then your body and your mind set can trip you up.  My best was 2.8sec with at Glock 17L.  I watched Jerry shoot against his brother Donnie, who could do 2.3's, knock down 5,d unload and  holster before his Donnie finished!