Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is Your Absolute Single Favorite Movie?

No question here.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Favorite Quotes:

"You'll have to answer to the Coca Cola Company" Keenan Wynn

"YeeeHaaaaawwww" Slim Pickens

"Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!" Peter Sellers

POE

I like, "You can't fight in here! This is the WAR ROOM!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian, have you seen Army of Darkness? Ash (Bruce Campbell) is given a specific spell to repeat when he gets hold of the Necronomicon. That spell is something like "Klatu Varata Nicto" Of course Ash screws it up and can't remember the spell. Instead of nicto, he says a whole bunch of other words including "necktie."

That movie is FULL of great one liners including my favorite pickup lines to use on my wife "Give me some sugar, baby" "Hail to the King, baby", "first you want to kill me. Now you want to kiss me. Blow!" and the ever popular "Yo, she-bitch, let's go!"

While not my single favorite movie, Army of Darkness might be my favorite B movie.

I've been thinking about this one for a long time...

If I could only watch one movie...it would be the Godfather Part 2.

I love the "flashbacks" to what us Italians call the "old country" and to New York City in the early 1900's.

I know that mobsters don't necessarily make the best role models but if God would allow me to "turn back time" and live in another period of history... that would be the time and those would be the places. ;)

JEREMIAH JOHNSON...saw it at a movie theater in downtown Tampa; I was a hot shot newspaper reporter just out of college and, boy, I was going places! At the risk of sounding amazingly silly, the movie *touched* something inside me. Never could get it out of my head, and in the end, strangely enough, the movie won. You can sit on my front porch now and see a panorama of the Indian Peaks Wilderness and Rocky Mt. National Park, and, yes, winter's a long time goin' up here. Still, come March, I can always say, "March is a green, muddy month down below. Some folks like it. FAAAARMERs, mostly." And, also yes, I've done well to keep so much hair when so many's after it.

mb

Heat:

DeNiro and Pacino engaging in a mesmorising duologue in the coffee shop, plus one of the best shoot-outs that you can put through you 6.1 system...Turn it up and hear the neighbours scream!! B)

(I also really like Moulin Rouge, just for the sheer exuberence, but it's not good for my macho image to admit it :D )

Snyder, you weenie...I got that coonskin cap at Saks Fifth Avenue in NYC.

You're just jealous because you can't find a cap like mine where the raccoon apparently died by electocution.

Upon reflection, I wonder if we can get Rhino to stick his finger in a wall socket? Now THERE'S a hat!

MB

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While I have really liked a number of the suggestions I've read (Bladerunner, any Akira Kurasawa film, and Kubric as well), I have to say my all time favorite is

<drumroll>

Casablanca

There are little details in the movie that I just love. For instance, after his club is torn up by the magistrate, Rick calmly tells everyone that everything will be just fine as he uprights a knocked over cocktail glass - a visual que of restored order to go with his words. And some of the quotes are priceless, "There are parts of New York, Major Strassor, that I would advise you not to try to invade." And then the theme, sacrificing for the greater good, all aspects of the movies are top notch. Even all the supporting actors are superb - Claude Reins, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorrie.

Here's looking at you kid <sigh>

:wub:

Thread drift into movie trivia -

The script for To Have and Have Not was a bet between William Faulkner and F. Scott Fitzgerald. Faulkner bet that he could take Hemingway's worst book and make it into a successful movie script. I read this in a biography somewhere. Faulkner also wrote the screen plays for the Big Sleep and Gunga Din.