Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making The Videos...

Flexmoney

Google has a new service that hosts videos for free. https://upload.video.google.com/

I am sure there are others...

I've been asked how I got the text to appear on my video clip.

I used Windows Movie Maker. It came, for free, on my my computer (I didn't really know I had it until somebody else mentioned it to me).

I imported the video to Movie Maker. It has a feature that allows you to capture still photos from the video.

I took those still, opened them in a photo editor, added the text...saved the "new" photo, then imported the new photo back into Movie Maker.

Movie Maker is a pretty easy program to use. It has transitions and fades that are real easy to put into the video. The down side is it only saves in wmv format. It will allow you to save in various degrees of quality, but only allows the wmv file extension.

I am sure there are a ton of other options...likely better and free...found on the internet.

I'm a rookie.

Movie Maker 2.0 (comes free with XP SP2 and nowhere else I can find) is actually pretty good, especially for free.

You can do titles-over-video using the 'add on selected clip' features, but not with the cool stop motion Flex had.

Also search on 'Movie Maker Transitions' and 'Movie Maker Titles'. There's a small community dedicated to creating new and interesting titling and transition effects.

I probably did 90+% of the editing and titling for my World Shoot DVD in Movie Maker.

I got an email that said Movie Maker will save in avi format.

I thought I had better open this thread up so people could post their video making tips.

Like I said, I'm a rookie...

[And look, Roy got a post in already. Keep them coming.]

Edited by Flexmoney

Are there any other free tools out there besides Windows Movie Maker? By conicidence, I bought a new digital camera with good video capabilities just as this subforum was created. Unfortunately, WMM doesn't like the mpegs that my camera creates. I crashes the moment I import the mpeg. Reinstalling WMM doesn't help, and it plays/edits other files just fine.

Alternately, is there a good conversion utility? I could convert the mpegs to something that WMM could digest and go from there.

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

If you poke around on the Microsoft Windows Media site, you can find the Windows Media Encoder. It's got a bazillion conversion options (from about anything, to WMV, natch), but is not easy to use. I use it to convert DV-AVI videos edited in Movie Maker down to web-videos at a file and resolution I like since WMM doesn't quite cooperate how I want it to.

If it's an MPEG thing, it might be that the codecs on your PC aren't agreeing with Movie Maker-- it doesn't come with any MPEG codecs and what's available vary widely in quality-- sometimes reinstalling the camera software (especially if they have some basic editor tools) will fix the codec, sometimes not.

Are there any other free tools out there besides Windows Movie Maker?

Well, if you're a Mac user, iMovie HD comes "free" with all of their computers.

It is an absolutely fantastic video editing program, very user-friendly and versatile.

I realize from your previous posts that you're on the Windows platform, but I just wanted to take the opportunity to plug iMovie for anyone out there reading this thread and has the opportunity to make the choice of platform to work on.

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

With a little coaxing of the codec and a large bludgeon, I can now edit my mpegs in WMM.

Are there any preferences for file size, resolution size, and frame rates? Aside, of course, from the contradictory: "small, large, and fast." For reference, a 1.5 second clip of my hands at sides draw at 640x480 @ 60 frames per second generates a 518kb file. I guess what I'm asking is: How large a file are folks able/willing to download and view?

Thank you,

Mark Kruger

• 4 months later...

I picked up Sony Movie Maker (Vegas) at Fry's for $19 after rebates. Comes with another program to render for DVD's. You can save to a bunch of different formats.

I bought it for the kid's home movies but I've used it for matches, training classes etc.. You can make high quality DVD's. Especially great since there are like 4 video tracks, audio and music tracks.

I've managed to do overlays of different friends shooting the same stage. That's a cool feature.

• 1 month later...

If you have a DV camcorder and a firewire cable another very good free resource is Free Avid DV. You can download it here http://www.avid.com/freedv/

Make sure to watch the tutorials on the webpage that show you how to do all the basic stuff.

I have friends that are professional movie editors and use the big Avid systems and they were amazed at how much of the program they give you for free with this version.

• 2 years later...

Just a thought.

I think it would be a good idea anyone posting videos for critique of a stage, that they should put in the video there times and points.

May make it easier to critique if they want help.

They could look pretty good running through the stage but if they are not getting there points it is kind of nulled.

Just a thought.

BK

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I use virtual dub. Its a free program that is very powerful. It allows you to resize, change the video aspects, and audio quality into manageable sizes for posting on various sites. I even just got codecs to work on mpeg4.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I just made a video while shooting some stages at a local USPSA match. I mounted a  GoPro Hero 5 Sessions on the brim of my ball cap.

The actual shots sound very weird. Voice commands were very clear. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can adjust the camera to make the shots sound normal.

Thanks

Jay

On 11/7/2013 at 7:52 AM, grapemeister said:

How do you put a Youtube video in a post, other than just the link. I want it ready to roll, like everyone else is doing these days.

Just paste the URL of your YouTube video into the comment box where I’m currently typing text like it is any other ordinary scentence. The forum will embed it automatically for you.

Edited by MemphisMechanic