• 5 months later...
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/30/2018 at 4:21 PM, Swanny10 said:

9k rounds of BBI spread across three Glocks. No problems. Just my experience. 

+1...i  now  use  my  own casts  coated  with hi tek  for  all  my  practice  sessions.  i've  shot  close  to  10K  to  this  day,while  i'm getting    a  very light  leading  on some  occasions,i  don't  see  how  the  gun would  explode  in my  face....wether  you use  casts or  J bullets, you  still  have  to  clean the  barrel  minimaly m  from time  to  time    to  ensure  a  decent  accuracy  .  i  see  some  are  reaching a  point  where  the  riflings  are  invisible  because  lead-powder  residue  got  cooked  repeatedly  without  cleaning..... some  are  anal  like  me  about  cleaning,some   are squarely  neglecting  this  crucial aspect . casts  or  jacketed  ,if  you never  clean your  gun ,at  some point  you might  have  to  pay the price.  

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2002 at 8:33 PM, RAZZ said:

I'll be taking everyone's advice and picking up an aftermarket barrel. I see a bunch of different brands. Whats on the collective approved list?

I like KKM barrels.  I haven't tried BarSto but hear they are excellent as well.  I have had a few lone wolf barrels and they have been hit or miss.

I bought a KKM barrel for my 34 to avoid leading after a bunch of advice here. I could tell a slight difference with my lead cast bullets where the KKM barrel leaded less. As far as accuracy goes I couldn't really tell a difference,  but that is most likely my lack of skills. 

On 1/7/2019 at 7:55 PM, Adamj said:

I bought a KKM barrel for my 34 to avoid leading after a bunch of advice here. I could tell a slight difference with my lead cast bullets where the KKM barrel leaded less. As far as accuracy goes I couldn't really tell a difference,  but that is most likely my lack of skills. 

Off a rest, my stock  Glock Gen 4  barrel out shot my KKM threaded G34  barrel using several different types of ammo. Difference wasn’t huge but there was a difference. Granted I’m no bullseye shooter but tested it several times. The lockup is slightly better with the KKM though. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I cast and shoot lead bullets in my G17 and G41.  No problems. Soft bullet lube, fairly soft bullets, and properly sized bullets, i.e., not undersized, are important factors. Hardcast bullets with hard, waxy lube are a poor choice.

• 6 months later...

I’ve never had any issue with coated bullets, but for such a small difference in price I switched to RMR FMJ bullets just to be safe. They are more accurate with my load recipe than what I could achieve with coated bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2019 at 12:29 PM, himurax13 said:

Has anyone had leading issues with the Gen 5 barrels?

I am having issues with a43X   same ammo in 3 gen3s and 1 gen4 does not.

anyone else ?

On 3/27/2020 at 5:25 PM, AHI said:

anyone else ?

Hmm, I will have to try that some time. I still have some hardcast bullets from a few years ago lying around.

• 3 months later...

This is my barrel after shooting about 100 rounds of hi-tek coated 115 grain bullets from dg bullets. I cleaned my barrel and loaded some more and made very I sure I wasn’t scraping the coating or over crimping and I got the same results. I haven’t had an issue with Blue Bullets 125s. These are loaded with 4.5gr HP-38 going 1140 ft/s out of a G34

55420CB0-CB56-4A2C-A21F-402264E53332.jpeg

On 4/30/2018 at 1:21 PM, Swanny10 said:

9k rounds of BBI spread across three Glocks. No problems. Just my experience. 

I now just say it this way lol. I’ve sent my SDB in for rebuilding twice since 2009 and I still haven’t had any problems with BBI and either my G34 or G17 . I’ve run 135s over SOLO 1000 and I am getting ready to switch to Sport Pistol after my SOLO is gone. I like coated lead. They actually have been more accurate than the Montana Gold I used to run, but there are variables to my early reloading and firearms that could account for that.

• 4 months later...
On 4/2/2002 at 11:48 PM, EricW said:

lead

I personally like the “rare/collectible power” one day.  Not to mention that regardless of what anybody is going to say this was done or was a way for Glock to even further the purchase area of the serrations so it just makes “charging” the weapon even less difficult!  

• 2 months later...
On 3/27/2020 at 8:25 PM, AHI said:

anyone else ?

Yep.  I was going to post the question here, but figured I'd do a search first.  I've been shooting various flavors of coated bullets since Precision and BBI (long before they switched to hi-tek) were the only options.  I primarily shoot Glocks, mostly Gen3, some Gen4. 

I recently bought a Gen5 34.  I knew from reading others posts that the chamber would be "less accommodating" than all my other Glocks, and sure enough some of my recent coated bullet loads won't pass the plunk test in the Gen5.  My Brazos 135gr load does.  After shooting a few hundred rounds of Brazos and giving the Gen5 its first real cleaning, I was shocked to see a couple of strands of "lead wire" at the muzzle end of the bore, pointing in/forward.  The same ammo in my Gen3 34 has never done that.

After giving the Gen5 barrel a good scrubbing, I've put a few hundred rounds of FMJ and JHP through it.  I plan to try coated bullets in it again in the near future.  I'm really not going to be happy if that barrel just can't do hi-tek bullets without leading.

• 8 months later...

Not sure if it was said in here as this thread is pretty long due to merging, so will add my tidbit.

The polygonal rifling just creates a tighter seal in which over pressure can be created when enough lead fouling accumulates.

An interesting tidbit to mention with the Glock Gen 5 barrels is they were originally called the Glock "Marking" barrels with traditional rifling due to Miami PD need to identify which rounds were shot out of which guns. Since marketing didn't think it would sell, they cut a crown and renamed it to "Marksman" barrel.

Edited by Ergos
typo

On 11/21/2021 at 2:20 AM, Ergos said:

The polygonal rifling just creates a tighter seal in which over pressure can be created when enough lead fouling accumulates.

This sounds like internet/gun forum myth.  Is there any credible data/study showing this?

Note: I'm not interested in anecdotes like "I shot lead bullets and my barrel blew up" without a rigorous investigation that rules out other causes.

Cause right about now I'm at the 2100 round mark through a 17 shooting nothing by polymer coated lead, with visible fouling, and I'm still waiting for the kaboom.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

On 11/26/2021 at 11:50 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

This sounds like internet/gun forum myth.  Is there any credible data/study showing this?

Note: I'm not interested in anecdotes like "I shot lead bullets and my barrel blew up" without a rigorous investigation that rules out other causes.

Cause right about now I'm at the 2100 round mark through a 17 shooting nothing by polymer coated lead, with visible fouling, and I'm still waiting for the kaboom.

I think that years ago, someone shot soft lead bullets through a glock and didn't clean it and had issues with the barrel leading and had a kaboom.  I think with the quality of the current lead bullets on the market and their coatings, there isn't really and issue with this.  The glock gen 5s that I have do appear to have the traditional rifling in them however.