Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Lubrication

Just copied Dillon's 12/15/06 post on lubrication 650. Would sure like to see part numbers added so I can link part as shown in instruction book to the loader. I'm kinda slow, you see. I need pictures to fully understand what is supposed to be lubed, tightened or adjusted.

Thanks,

Jim B.

The Dillon manuals have exploded drawings with numbers that reference the part # and part name. The manuals can be downloaded from Dillons's web site. The 650 manual has drawings and part lists on several pages starting about page 50.

Shos that I need to spend more time matching the drawings in the instruction book, pg. 50, et seq, to the points listed here.

Thanks,

Jim B

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use one of these for my 550:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P6...amp;dir=catalog

The grease is designed for air ratchets, and works great in many firearms related applications.

Just an FYI, I had one of these in my garage, it works well to get the grease points as well. The needle fits the holes well, and it can generate enough pressure to get the grease in the fittings. The grease has worked well for me in other applications but don't have any long term data from the press yet. It's a nice size, ~$20 with the gun, and pretty easy to find at bike shops.

http://www.pedroscatalog.com/product.aspx?productID=6030041

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I greased my 550B after about 1000 rounds loaded and it made a huge difference. YMMV.

Never seen Mobil1 straight 30W. The higher the number, the thicker it is, and I'd just look at the lower number. I'd probably opt for the 15W50 for general oiling, it's thicker and may stay in place better.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I cannot find the orange oil based "gunk" handclearner to clean the powder hopper as described for the 650. I can find Gojo orange and Fast orange hand cleaners, but they have pumice in them. Will those work?

I have owned/used a 650 for about 12 years. I would not advise cleaning any part of a Dillon press with hand cleaner that contains pumice. It will scratch the softer surfaces and will be hard to remove the grit from any surface......

About 15 or so years ago, Mike Dillon told me I should drill and tap the linkage arms on my 550 for zerks.

Too bad they don't come that way from the factory.

I'll second, third and fourth that.

It just occurred to me, I used to have a small tube of white lithium grease with a fine tip plastic point. I wonder if something like that would work?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I myself being new to Dillon would love to see a detailed diagram of all the lube points for each model. I would also like to see Video...

It would prabaly be a tool that lots of people would be glad to purchase.....

Edited by SCV

• 4 months later...
About 15 or so years ago, Mike Dillon told me I should drill and tap the linkage arms on my 550 for zerks.

Too bad they don't come that way from the factory.

I'll second, third and fourth that.

It just occurred to me, I used to have a small tube of white lithium grease with a fine tip plastic point. I wonder if something like that would work?

Go to your local lumber yard/home improvement store and get a chain saw chain bar tip grease tool. It has a cone on the spring loaded tip that you place in the grease hole on your press. Press several times until you see grease coming from the sides of the links. Wipe off the excess. Repeat in each grease hole. About 5 bucks and will last for years. Makes a big difference in press operation.

It has a cone on the spring loaded tip that you place in the grease hole on your press. Press several times until you see grease coming from the sides of the links.

By "grease hole", you mean those little tiny holes in the links?

It has a cone on the spring loaded tip that you place in the grease hole on your press. Press several times until you see grease coming from the sides of the links.

By "grease hole", you mean those little tiny holes in the links?

RePete got it right, great picture, tx!

You are also correct, those little tiny holes in the links!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, so anything to assist us lowly SDB users? Mine is squeaking and groaning something awful. It's painful to use at this point, feels like I'm abusing her. I have used a couple drops of machine oil to quiet down the worst of it, but I know it's time for a thorough clean/lube job.

Anyone have some help for us SDB'ers?

Okay, so anything to assist us lowly SDB users? Mine is squeaking and groaning something awful. It's painful to use at this point, feels like I'm abusing her. I have used a couple drops of machine oil to quiet down the worst of it, but I know it's time for a thorough clean/lube job.

Anyone have some help for us SDB'ers?

If you have been using it like this for awhile you might consider returning it to Dillon for a refurbish. I think it runs about $35.

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose it's possible to drill & tap the press for zerks, although it's probably easier to just go out and buy one of those little "needle tip" grease guns as illustrated & talked about in previous posts. I've lubed my 650 twice now, the second time much more thoroughly, using a nice reference posted elsewhere in this forum- a .pdf file that shows exactly where to put the grease / oil.

How do I lube the 650? I just take it apart. It's not actually all that hard to disassemble the linkage. Takes a 7/8" wrench to remove the handle and the two nuts on the left hand side of the linkage. There is no need to remove the two nuts on the right hand side. The two link pins, still attached to the RH linkage bar just slide right out. To remove the lower ram pin (the one in the bottom of the ram) it's necessary to loosen a set screw in the bottom of the ram (allen wrench required). The lower ram pin may then be easily pushed out. Clean it all up, repack it with grease, reassemble and you're good to go.

Pertaining to an earlier post referencing people using Mobil 1 to lube the ram: I use Mobil 1 0W-40, and it works. Don't concern yourself with using multi-weight oils. If an oil says "10W-30," the first number has nothing to do with the weight of the oil, it's an index of its pumpability*. The last number, in this case "30," is the weight of the oil. for this application, I wouldn't think twice about using anything with a "30" on the end (and I"m using a "40").

*for discussions on how motor oils work I highly suggest the forums on BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy). Just Google it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What needle size are those holes?

I'm about to buy some syringes and needles from Micro Tools to lube my RL550B (and for some other projects).

I measured the grease holes in the linkages, and they're about 0.090 or 0.095.

That's about 13 gauge. So I think I'll try 13 or 14 gauge needles.

Does this sound about right?

OK I'm an idiot. But just exactly what is the purpose of greasing the underside of the Station 1 locator? Especially "heavily greasing" it?

My press (650XL) is fairly new, only loaded a few thousand rounds. But Dillon had that cavity absolutely packed! The station one locator doesn't move? What am I missing here?

Edited by Shadowrider