Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burn Out...

Flexmoney

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/11/2019 at 5:11 PM, fastluck13 said:

True story. Honestly, they could solve half the drama with mag length limits. Make it same as open. 50 round mags! Screw that. Better yet, everyone only gets 8. Make Single Stack Great Again!

Make a mag length limit for PCC and I'll design a quad stack PCC magazine that fits the length limit and still holds 50+ rounds.   Only partly serious.

Nolan

If it isn't fun don't do it.  Remember this is a game, not life so don't take it seriously.  You are always better at something you love than something you are just doing because you have trained your mind to think you have to do it.  Step back, reevaluate your goals and start from there.  

Edited by AzShooter

On 8/14/2019 at 10:45 PM, igofast85 said:

How bad do you want to get better?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I listen to the little voice in my head that says dry fire.... went to the range and did a bunch of movement work, came home and the voice said, “remember me? I’m dry fire let’s hang out”.....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I hit burn out hard this last month, with virtually no desire to shoot. Even after I took possession of my new JP5, I was super excited, and decided to try PCC again after stopping at 93.49%. Two stages in, I was bored and was back to burn out. After shooting 1-2 matches a week for the past 18 months, nothing has sounded better than time off.

2 hours ago, Orlandoech said:

I hit burn out hard this last month, with virtually no desire to shoot. Even after I took possession of my new JP5, I was super excited, and decided to try PCC again after stopping at 93.49%. Two stages in, I was bored and was back to burn out. After shooting 1-2 matches a week for the past 18 months, nothing has sounded better than time off.

Take a 3-4 month break each year. Me, being from the northern midwest, I am forced to not shoot any matches because its too darn cold outside. Not only will you be super excited to get back into it, you'll notice that after some de-rusting, you've actually improved in some aspects. The brain needs some rest to allow things to really settle in. Nearly all pro sports have an off season, you should too.

And when I mean a break, I mean do not practice, don't even think about the sport. You can use the time reload ammo and tinker with guns to prepare for the future though. I'm surprised you haven't burnt out quicker at that rate.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

Take a 3-4 month break each year. Me, being from the northern midwest, I am forced to not shoot any matches because its too darn cold outside. Not only will you be super excited to get back into it, you'll notice that after some de-rusting, you've actually improved in some aspects. The brain needs some rest to allow things to really settle in. Nearly all pro sports have an off season, you should too.

And when I mean a break, I mean do not practice, don't even think about the sport. You can use the time reload ammo and tinker with guns to prepare for the future though. I'm surprised you haven't burnt out quicker at that rate.

Thanks for the info. Several people have told me this and I ignored it. I plan on doing that as soon as winter is here in UT. I also am looking into get another puppy/dog to help me be distracted from the sport and focus my energy/awareness on something other than shooting. My kids would love another dog since ours past away last year.

Burn out did it me super hard, a few people asked if I were depressed lol.

I mostly shoot SC and RF challenge. Once December comes around I switch it up shoot stuff that I really enjoy but don't much during the "season". Mostly cowboy stuff, levers, single shots, single actions etc. If I feel frisky I'll go shoot pins they run year round matches here. when March comes I switch back to "competition" mode. The break is good to decompress. 

I start getting real busy in April but can usually get some trigger time in here and there. June comes around and it pretty much comes to an end until the end of September and right now my finger is getting pretty itchy. Some years we have an open winter so I can shoot then. I guess having the breaks keeps me wanting to shoot but doesn’t help with getting enough practice to get really good. Quality time is getting harder to find. 

• 4 months later...

I hit burn out in 2022 right after CO Nats. Well actually about half way through nats. Had a mag malfunction on the fixed time stage and after that just stopped caring. It wasn't so much that single mag issue as it was a culmination of equipment issues at precisely the wring time at every match all year when everything worked just fine the rest of the time. The absolute trash heap of bull crap being spewed all over social media, the felt tension all over uspsa matches, me changing jobs, (hands done that in 5.5 years) and my desire to continue being gone. Sadly I had signed up for nats and Atomic blast the weekend after with a nice actual vacation in-between. I did end up having a good time on vacation and at the Atomic blast. Right after it I put both my CO guns on here for sale and said I was done. No more. Didn't even touch them for a few months. 

A while after I got back home and settled into the new job I just had enough of seeing the social media pot stirring amd deleted almost everyone and everything uspsa related. A few close friends reached out and asked me to go shoot sporting clays and I did that a few times and got to thinking about uspsa again and started talking to a few of my shooting buddies. Went to a couple locals and just shot the match and didn't think about how I did, or anything but having fun. About mid December I started messing around with some different loads for the open gun and just didn't enjoy it. So one night I took my CO guns to the range and the open gun and shot both. I had a bunch of fun and remembered how much I love my CO guns. So I went back a couple more times and enjoyed it. Just running some drills, nothing serious. It would calm me down and I started tracking progress again. Told myself I'm not shooting 10+ majors in 4 months this year. Fast forward to today and I have 6 majors6 majors over 4 months. Decided to work the local charity major match for the first time as well. But I'm not adding anything uspsa meme or crap related to my social media and not partaking in any of the drama. I do have one goal for the year. Shoot 70% of first place. Last year's goal was 65% and I got 58.09%.