Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your First USPSA Match

BritinUSA

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You definitely do not need to be a member to shoot. I know some people that I shoot with regularly who are not members. You will most likely want to join if you enjoy your first few matches but there is no need to do so at any point. That said many clubs charge non-members a few dollars more.

Come out and enjoy the fun. I bet you'll wish you had tried this terrific sport earlier. I know I do.

IDPA - No membership for the first match. You are supposed to join after that to continue shooting local matches. They hold a "classifier match" every so often at the local clubs. Members can get classified by shooting the IDPA Classifier. To shoot Major matches (state level and above) you are supposed to have shot the classifier within the last year, I believe.

USPSA - You can shoot local matches without becoming a member. Each local match will usually have one stage that is a classifier stage. If you are a member, that classifier's score is sent in to the National data bank. Once you get at least 4 classifier stages on file, you will receive and initial classification. Most clubs also run a "special classifier match" once a year. At one of these matches, they will have 4-6 classifier stages. You don't have to have a classification to shoot Major (state level and above) matches, but you do have to be a member to shoot at that level.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Great information, I had my first match in NC last Sat and I was very prepared due to this thread. This is a good forum. Being a newbie was'nt that bad everyone is very helpful.

at our club, the first time you shoot there it is free

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the list, it helped me prepare for my first match yesterday.

The match itself went great, got some good support from the other shooters (one being the new Dutch national champion in the open division).

I was trying not to go to fast and just shoot good points and it went very smooth with almost all A’s.

When the final score was published last night I couldn’t believe my score it was 64% :surprise: , this was way more then I would have hoped for.

Henny, thanks for the good training! :bow:

(And again it turned out that: slow is smooth and smooth is fast)

Edited by Patrick82

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A short guide in .pdf format that will help to guide you through your first USPSA match. Local details may vary but this should give you a rough idea.

Your_First_USPSA_Match.pdf

BritinUSA,

this is my 1st season. Thank you very much for the guide! I've not attended any official matches yet (just been going to the wed night leagues at my local club). I thought this was written very clearly and makes it sound soooooo easy!! ;)

I'll give it a try soon!

tisch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I just shotmy 1st uspsa match over the weekend. Done better than I thought I would . All in all was kind of slow but had good hits on paper but there was 2 stars that just ate my lunch. Don't really know why because my friend and coach has ones at is house and I shoot it fine buy couldn't there. Oh well there is next time

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...