Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your First USPSA Match

BritinUSA

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The link is blank for me. Doesn't start adobe.

James

Same for me with any Adobe PDF through this forum. I just fire up Mozzila Firefox and it works perfectly. Don't have a clue why...... :huh:

Added: XP Pro & AOL

Edited by Merlin Orr

Huh,,,

I'm using firefox/XPpro and usually if I click on an adobe pdf. it opens adobe and opens my download box. This just opens another window, stays white and says done in the process info.

Sounds like a cool write-up. If I could see it I'd pin it to the top of this forum so everyone could read it!!!

:blink::unsure::rolleyes:

Special Note Everyone feel free to copy/print/plaguerize/fold/spindle/mutilate to your hearts desire. If you want to modify for your local club that's fine also. This is a freebie, do with it what you will.

Huh,,,

I'm using firefox/XPpro and usually if I click on an adobe pdf. it opens adobe and opens my download box. This just opens another window, stays white and says done in the process info.

Sounds like a cool write-up. If I could see it I'd pin it to the top of this forum so everyone could read it!!!

:blink::unsure::rolleyes:

Have you tried 'right-click' and download attached file, and then try reading with Adobe ?

• 2 weeks later...

They were redone at the last (pre 2006) rulebook go-round..

IPSC rules, chapter 8: Range Communication

8.3.1 “Load And Make Ready” ("Make Ready" for unloaded starts)

8.3.2 “Are You Ready?”

8.3.3 “Standby”

8.3.4 “Start Signal”

8.3.5 “Stop” (you don't want this command..)

8.3.6 “If You Are Finished, Unload And Show Clear”

8.3.7 “If Clear, Hammer Down, Holster”

8.3.8 “Range is Clear”

• 4 months later...

Here's another great thread on how to get started in Practical Shooting. This is what I read before my first match. Even had the thread starter guide myself and a few others through our first match.

http://sigforum.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f...935/m/531103825

From what I remember of the range commands

1) "Shooter do you understand the Course of Fire?"

2) "Clear to handle, Load and Make Ready"

3) "Nod when ready"

4) "Shooter is ready, Standby"

5) OPTIONAL: "Stop" or "Freeze"

6) "Shooter, if you are finished, unload and show clear"

7) "Gun is clear, slide forward, hammer down, and holster"

8) "Range is clear"

9) "Time _____"

• 5 months later...

That's a great link. Thanks.

A couple of questions for you, or anyone else that would like to contribute.

1. The link for a holster discussion contained in the site you referenced, returned an error message. Do you have a link for something similar? Holsters are my immediate concern.

2. On the same note, I am only considering practical shooting sports at this point. If I take up the sport, I'm also certain to shoot in one of the production classes, IPSC, IDPSA or IDPA. It looks like all of these classes except IPSC, require a holster that might actually be used for daily concealed carry. Since I need one anyway, that works for me . . . if the holster will work for me. At present, I'm considering a CR_Speed Hi Torque belt system and a KyTac SooperHooper holster for IPSC/IDPSA and some concealed carry and the same holster with some other belt arrangement for IDPA and other concealed carry. The one thing I can't tell from what I've seen is how reliable the retention system on the KyTac is for concealed carry in rougher conditions. One of the places I'm most likely to carry a full sized concealed weapon is when ATV riding the the swamps and woods of Florida. If I'm to chose this holster, I'm going to need to know that it's secure enough for a bumpy ride.

Lee

I think your best bet is to ask this question in the IDPA forum. If a holster is legal in IDPA, then it will be good to go in USPSA. Actual IPSC matches in the US are rare.

This is coming from a gamer, but I'd get a holster with hardcore retention for the 4 wheeler, then get a holster for competition. If you show up at a match with a holster with a thumb strap for example, then you'll be stuck using that thumb strap during the match. Just a thought anyway.

Note that "class" pertains to skill level in these shooting sports, while "division" pertains to equipment. For example you might be a C class shooter in the Production division.

Nice. two changes i would make to the before you leave home section.

sun block, unless it's a night shoot. Maybe if you are one of those places where they have grass on the range it isn't so bad, but if you have sand/gravel, even in colder weather you can still get a nice sunburn.

And definitely needed.. a hat. Be it for glare, sunburn, chill, etc.

> I think your best bet is to ask this question in the IDPA forum. If a holster is legal in

> IDPA, then it will be good to go in USPSA. Actual IPSC matches in the US are rare.

Thanks. I'll do that.

> This is coming from a gamer, but I'd get a holster with hardcore retention for the 4

> wheeler, then get a holster for competition. If you show up at a match with a holster

> with a thumb strap for example, then you'll be stuck using that thumb strap during the

> match. Just a thought anyway.

I presume that means you don't think particularly highly of the retention system used in competition quality holsters. I was afraid of that. Thanks again.

> Note that "class" pertains to skill level in these shooting sports, while "division" pertains

> to equipment. For example you might be a C class shooter in the Production division.

Three out of three. I'll try to keep it straight. I told you was I just starting to think about this stuff.

Lee

Well, you are doing the right thing by coming to this forum. There is a wealth of information here that can save you a lot of time and frustration. Hang out here and don't be afraid to ask questions. One of the things I love about this place is you never know who may answer a new guys question. Its pretty cool when one of the top guys takes the time out to answer your question. The first time Brian posted an answer to one of my questions I could not believe it. :D My wife thought I was a dork, but it was pretty cool to me.