Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa Match Levels

John Heiter

Ok, I've got a question...what are the benefits of the three recognized match levels for USPSA matches? The rulebook pretty clearly spells out the minimum requirements necessary to qualify for each level (US A1) but I can't seem to find a lot of information on the benefits of each. Since there are no maximum's for each level, it appears that as long as the match meets the minimum requirements it can go in as Level I-III at the discretion of the MD.

The reason this comes up is that our club just put on a Level III State/Section Championship match with 8 stages including a classifier. In order to put on a Level III match we had to jump through a few administrative hoops (getting our stages approved months in advance, etc.) and we pay a bunch of extra money per shooter but now that it's done I'm not sure I'm really comfortable with the process. I was really looking for something that would clearly spell out the additional costs of doing Level III instead of Level II and what the benefits of doing it would be so I could decide if it was worth it. I'm thinking a list of Pro's and Cons for each would help. I'm not looking for any USPSA bashing with this, just some information to help match director's make an informed decision. Actually, I'm changing pros and cons to benefits and requirements because there are benefits to some of the requirements. Anyway, can you guys help me fill in some blanks?

Level III: - Cost: $5.00 per shooter plus $1.50 for ea classifier

Benefits:

Free 1/2 Page B&W Ad in Front Sight

President's Medals for Class Winners

Discount on RO class tied to the match

NROI review of stages for possible issues

Possible Point Series inclusion

Requirements:

Must have stage diagrams prepared 3 months in advance

Additional paperwork

Increased Cost

Shooters required to be USPSA members

Chronographing required

CRO's and approved RM required

COF approved by Area Director

Level II: - Cost: $2.50 per shooter plus $1.50 for ea classifier

Benefits:

Lower cost than Level III

Requirements:

Shooters required to be USPSA members

COF approved by Area Director and Section Coordinator

Pay for your own Front Sight ad if needed

Level I: - Cost: $1.50 per shooter plus $1.50 for ea classifier

Benefits:

Lowest cost per shooter

Fewest requirements for Match Director

Requirements:

Not many that I can see.

Pay for your own Front Sight ad if needed

Flex,

I hope you're right because it would save us some jack but I based those costs off of the EZ Winscore Activity Report. Ex. I had 46 shooters in Limited and we're being charged $299 for Limited (46x$5.00 activity fee + 46x$1.50classifier fee). Anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks,

John

1) I don't recall what the correct fees are, my *recollection* is that the $5 includes one classifier, but I could be wrong (in other words, the $5 is an all-up per-shooter fee, whether there is a classifier in the match or not). I do recall that there was an update to EZWS because it was calculating match fees incorrectly, so... best thing to do would be to call or email the USPSA office and find out the official scoop.

2) There is a requirement that matches billed as "state" or "section" championships must be sanctioned, and I *think* it is at level-III. (I am 6,000 miles from home right now, so I don't have it in front of me, or I'd quote it for you)... again, a call to the USPSA office would clarify, but... I think it is also documented in the club program manual and/or the SC manual, both available from USPSA

Bruce

1. The $5 includes up to 2 classifiers in a Level III match. Same fee, regardless if you run none, one, or two.

2. State/Sectionals can be, and most often are, run as Level II. (Level III is optional.)

Having recently run the Ohio Section match as a Level III (by choice), this info is fresh in my noggin.

So Flex, break it down for us. What were your reasons to go with the level 3 by choice? Looking at it just from the info in this post, the level 3 with 2 classifiers is actually less expensive for the club than a Level 2 with 2 classifiers and you get the added bene of the add in Front Sight with the level 3 match. Am I thinking along the right lines?

Rick

• 9 months later...

I believe that Level II now included stage review by NROI. When we did a Level II in Idaho our stages had to go to NROI for review.

May not show it in the book but it appears to be what happens in practice.

Doesn't cost anything and, in the end, you may end up with better stages. But it probably wasn't as fast a turnaround as a quick trip to the SC or AD.

Level II and III designations were intended to represent "bigger" matches, however, there are a number of cases where matches big enough to have a "Match name" rather than "date" and where half the competitors come in from out of town and stay in hotels still sign up as local club-level matches.

I am preparing a proposal for the next USPSA BOD meeting that would limit the "Major Match Listing" on WWW.USPSA.ORG (calendar and major match results) to Level II and Level III matches only. Local match results could still be posted in the "local results" section. If approved, this policy will be effective fo rmatches 1/1/07 or later. Also, if this is approved I will be adding a feature which allows all clubs to list their local match schedule on www.uspsa.org - but not give "Major Match Billing" to matches which have not committed to going through the process intended for the larger events.

Flame away.

The level III rating carries some kind of brownie points for the range officers I think. Can anyone explain that? It also gets you the presidents medals.

On the other hand, a well run level I match works just as well. The Florida Open comes to mind.

Flame away.

Just remember...the Florida Open might not need USPSA at all. :o:unsure:

(I have no ties to the FL Open...I've never even shot it. Just an observation.)

The Fla Open may need USPSA more than they think they do.

I have shot this match twice and there is a lot to like about it.

It is a well run match.

The stages are always interesting and a lot of fun.

I love Florida.

A Pina Colada by the pool in February makes life worth living.

There is also a lot not to like.

It is expensive.

It is a long way to travel.

It was not in the point series

There is an abundance of under-classifed international shooters (IMHO).

Class winners are only recognized in the largest divisions in spite of participation that rivals any Area match.

Level three participation & a classifier or two would go a long way toward fixing the negative aspects of the match.

Tony

Edited by tlshores

FYI, level III matches do not offer any sort of incentive's or brownie points for the RO's from USPSA. If they shoot the match they are elligible for President's Medals (provided they shoot in the right division/class) just like everyone else. Any special consideration for them (RO prize tables, comped hotel rooms or meals, etc.) comes directly from the match director.

FYI, level III matches do not offer any sort of incentive's or brownie points for the RO's from USPSA. If they shoot the match they are elligible for President's Medals (provided they shoot in the right division/class) just like everyone else. Any special consideration for them (RO prize tables, comped hotel rooms or meals, etc.) comes directly from the match director.

Okay,here's what I've discovered so far. ROs accumulate match points which count toward IROA certification as follows:

Officials earn match points by officiating at matches, and different levels of matches earn different points.

* Level III - 3 points

* Level IV - 4 points

* Level V - 5 points

Okay,here's what I've discovered so far. ROs accumulate match points which count toward IROA certification as follows:

Officials earn match points by officiating at matches, and different levels of matches earn different points.

* Level III - 3 points

* Level IV - 4 points

* Level V - 5 points

How many points does one need to accumulate to get into IROA?

Jim

I'm not sure about this, and I think it is under review, but with great qualifications, understanding I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I believe the NROI can recommend one for IROA RO status with 15 points. CRO requires more. The IROA certs are required to work level IV and V matches ?

Now if one of the RMI will just chime in and tell us how it really works????

What Dale says is pretty accurate, or at least was last time I was IROA certified. You need at least 15 match points (this number might be off a little), with at least 6 or 9 of them coming from level III or higher matches. In other words, you can't get an IROA rank by just working a bunch of level I and II matches. You also need to be recommended to IROA by either the RD or the head of NROI, IIRC.

After you are in, you must maintain your certification by earning a certain number of points, and again, Dale had it right: 3, 4, and 5, corresponding to match levels. The USPSA Nationals are usually sanctioned as Level III, so our IROA members can get their book signed by the MD as having worked a Level III match.

It's been a while since I was IROA certified; nothing against them, I just didn't have the time or money to work a bunch of international matches, and the Nats weren't always level III certified, so it was too hard to keep up with the points needed.

Some of the bennies of being IROA certified are a little bit higher travel allowance from IROA (which may be able to be combined with USPSA's, I don't know), and the ability to work international matches, if that's your thing. I'd personally like to go down to Panama and either work or shoot that one--looks like fun. You get a broader base of experience that way.

Benefits to the match itself are pretty much as posted here. International recognition, USPSA and IPSC President's medals, the IROA staff gets the points, etc.

Hope this helps.

Troy

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind, that there is IPSC Level III and USPSA Level III. You only get IROA points if it is IPSC Level III sanctioned. This year, and in years past, you could have dual sanctioning. With the new proposed split rulebooks, that would theoretically change, as dual sanctioning will become a thing of the past. You would have to pick your poison. No word yet on if USPSA will extend the Frontsight discounts, RO classes, etc, for IPSC Level III's or not. I guess time will tell what policies will be formed (particularly for IPSC World Shoot Qualifiers). Lotsa logistics involved when this topic comes up. Also curious to see if this will fulfil our regional RM/TD requirements if we work one of these IPSC Level III matches in region (USA). :huh: