Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Slide not locking back

igolfat8

Hand loads have not changed in two years. Mags are clean but mags won't lock the slide back. Same slide spring though I have tried going lighter but made no difference. I have one mag out of 9 that will lock back occasionally. Tried putting new OEM springs in three mags but that made no difference. All OEM Mags are two years old. Any ideas? Worn followers perhaps? Worn slide release?

First place I would look is ammo. I know you say it hasn't changed. Does it still chrono the same as two years ago? 

All followers wearing out but one is not likely.

Run some hot SD ammo and see if it locks back. If it does, turn your load up a few tenths and see what happens.

Nope, not using a shock buff.

I inserted all of my mags and most looked like this:

413438546.jpg

However, two mags looked like this. The slide release lever tab is barely touching the mag follower and it could fall off the follower quite easily. However, there are two mags like this and they both fail to lock back. There are 5 mags that look like the picture above and they won't lock back either. I measured the width of the feed lips of all magazines and they are within .002" of each other so there is no variations there.

413438547.jpg

I checked the spring on the slide release and its fine.  Its the same shape as a new one. The edge of the slide release, that engages with the slide, isn't worn or damaged. My grip is not riding the slide release.

Edited by igolfat8

I know you said edge of slide release than engages with slide is not damaged, but it definitely looks worn/discolored in the pics above. Since it's a cheap part, maybe replace the slide stop or rob one from another Glock on hand just to test out?

Thanks for the suggestion. The slide release was recently replaced less than a 1000 rounds ago. It just has the black coating worn off and no significant wear in the engagement surface.

BTW, I took all of my mags apart and cleaned them today. I had a new 17 mag so I took it apart and compared spring lengths. All 6 of my mags have two coils sticking out after the base plate has been removed and the 17 has three coils sticking out. I wonder if I ordered and replaced with the wrong springs or if the 6 mag springs are just sacked out after a few months of use?

Edited by igolfat8

On 6/29/2017 at 4:32 PM, igolfat8 said:

I wonder if I ordered and replaced with the wrong springs or if the 6 mag springs are just sacked out after a few months of use?

Wearing out Glock mags doesn't happen often, and especially not after just a few months. I'd also be inclined to think that if you order the wrong parts, it would have been giving you fits much sooner after replacement (or uniformly in all your mags. Not just a couple)