Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's a legal hit on a reactive target.

If in a match with self resetting mini poppers is it a hit if the shooter hits the bolt at the bottom of the popper but the popper doesn't move. Also  if the shooter hits the target stand and make the target wiggle. It doesn't seem to me that either situation is neutralized target. Is there a standard policy regarding that.

Since you didn't refer to a rule set- It's neutralized when the RO calls "HIT".  

Now, when does the RO call hit?  Hopefully consistently with as close to the same amount of movement as possible for each and every shooter.  I tend to be more lenient, shooter gets the benefit of the doubt.

2 hours ago, sschultz said:

Bryan if a shooter hits the stand and the target just wiggles a little would you call a hit

Was it a hinged plate, or sitting on the stand. Either way, if it's a "falling plate" it has to fall. If you hit a regular popper low and it doesn't fall, it doesn't count, neither would a self setting popper. Every 3 gun match I've shot and R.O.'d did it that way.

No, if the hit was on the stand, I would not call it hit.  If the plate move reward, even if not a lot, I would call it.  The issue is how much does it have to move?  If it stands at rest at 90 degrees, obviously 10 degrees (in relation to the base) is a hit.  45, probably so too.  75?  Maybe?  

I completely understand what you're saying- it's arbitrary.  Autopoppers are great training tools, not so much when a major is on the line.  We use them at locals some times, but I'd not use them at a major.

But, I don't believe any rule sets cover autopoppers.  

We put deflectors on all ours, does 2 things.

1. removes the "I think it moved"  calls /questions

2. keeps the bolts from getting shot off so fast. They still break, but last 80% longer, hardly ever replace one during a 250 shooter match - vs - checking and replacing several at noon , and at the end of each day.

Edited by toothandnail

Hit it with a 308 and the popper falls back so far the front legs come off the ground.  To the point that you think the whole thing is going to tip over backwards and you won't have a second shot.

No matter how many times I shoot steel with .308 it still makes me giggle a little.  And it never fails to excite the onlookers.  ;-)

9 hours ago, Matt in TN said:

Hit it with a 308 and the popper falls back so far the front legs come off the ground.  To the point that you think the whole thing is going to tip over backwards and you won't have a second shot.

No matter how many times I shoot steel with .308 it still makes me giggle a little.  And it never fails to excite the onlookers.  ;-)

Till the damn target breaks!  :P

9 hours ago, Benelli Chick said:

When you use those skinny sammies as flashers at less then 100 yards, they are spinners with .308...but they don't last very long! :-)

A couple years ago at FN 3 Gun, on the boat stage I think, there was a flasher at a little over 100 yards, when I hit it with a 135 SMK, the thing moved better than I could do on a spinner. :D

It's what the written stage briefing says the target must do.

"Paper must have one A/B hit or two anywhere to neutralize. Knockdown plates must fall, clays must break, shotgun spinner must spin, and rifle flashers must flash to score. RO will call hits on rifle flashers, and 'over' on spinner. Failure to spin spinner will incur two misses and a 30 second procedural."