Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Better ear muffs? How do you deal with the muzzle brake?

taymag

I've shot plenty of AR's including some of mine at times that had a brake, but always ended up going back (other than on bolt action) to a less annoying solution and learning to deal with it just for the sake of my ears. Now that I am getting into 3-gun, having some sort of compensator is necessary, but I dont see how I can go shoot 3-400rds practicing like that.

Is there some hardcore muffs you guys are using? Or a comp that is slightly less deadly? I cant even imagine the misery of being an RO for 3-gun... There has to be a secret :)

7 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You are wearing both plugs and muffs, right?

Sometimes, not always in USPSA/Production though which is 90+% of my shooting and if I am shooting rifle with people I usually have a silencer. To be honest I haven't done a lot of rifle shooting since I got into USPSA a year ago.

While were on the topic of plugs though, is there a go-to set of plugs people like? I don't mind plugs but if I have plugs until muffs you cant just reach up and adjust them like if you had only plugs in, which is why I dont always double up

8 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I love the radians do it yourself custom molded plugs. Under $15 on Amazon and they don't need f*#ked with, they just stay.

Alright thanks, ill get a pair of those, I was looking at these ones called Decibullz but ill give the radians a try

Edited by taymag

Double up. I use MSA Sordins for the over ear actives because the gel cups are comfortable for all day use. In ear I'm using normal Howard Leight foamies. One day I'll pick up some active in-ear plugs but for now I can bump up the volume on the Sordins enough to hear with the foamies in place. 

I'll echo what others have said about molded plugs and muffs.  I have found the 29-30 NRR rated muffs (the fatter ones, not the narrow models like Howard Leight) are much better for me.  Another thing is consider which muzzle device you are using.  I have tried out several, and i really like the keymount from dead air.  It will cost more, as it is also a mount for their silencers (I wish they did a brake with no mounting like surefire does).  It has a vent hole at 9 and 3 o'clock facing 45 degrees forward that is supposed to reduce some of the lateral concussion a bit.  Shooting inside is still pretty punishing either way, but outside on a 16-18" barrel like most 3-gun rifles have, it makes a difference for me personally.

I use custom molded ear plugs and 3M Peltor Optime.  I used to use the popular Howard Leight Impact® Sport model until I learned the hard way that the Howard Leight doesn't have a very high DB reduction compared to others.

The custom molded plugs are noticeably quieter, and a far better fit than disposables for my ears.

And when an open shooter steps up ... hand the timer to someone else    :lol:

Edited by Tampaxd45

2 hours ago, Tampaxd45 said:

I use custom molded ear plugs and 3M Peltor Optime.  I used to use the popular Howard Leight Impact® Sport model until I learned the hard way that the Howard Leight doesn't have a very high DB reduction compared to others.

The custom molded plugs are noticeably quieter, and a far better fit than disposables for my ears.

And when an open shooter steps up ... hand the timer to someone else    :lol:

I dont know how I could go shoot with a bunch of friends and be doubled up with non-electronic earmuffs, do you just not talk to anyone the whole time? Haha

16 hours ago, taymag said:

I dont know how I could go shoot with a bunch of friends and be doubled up with non-electronic earmuffs, do you just not talk to anyone the whole time? Haha

Take the muffs off when speaking with friends.  

You can still hear when doubled up.  It's not totally silent, just another layer of protection.  I've also used electronic muffs over ear plugs.  Find what works best for you.

Always better to have more protection than less.  Tinnitus is permanent so take all steps to avoid it.

Agree on doubling up. I use Howard Leight electronics over plugs, find it the best if both worlds. Can still hear people talk, great protection w/ SBRd AK, AR w/ huge brake, etc. and low enough profile I'm not knocking them off when using low mounted optics. 

On 6/27/2017 at 11:50 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

Double up. I use MSA Sordins for the over ear actives because the gel cups are comfortable for all day use. In ear I'm using normal Howard Leight foamies. One day I'll pick up some active in-ear plugs but for now I can bump up the volume on the Sordins enough to hear with the foamies in place. 

I do the same...gel sordins over plugs with the volume up. One or the other alone is risky, and your hearing is a lot to risk for a hobby. Started doing this after losing hearing in one ear for three days after a plug got knocked out shooting slugs and then I had to shoot almost a mag of rifle through a concrete culvert while leaning into it. 

Make sure that whatever muffs you go with don't move or interfere with your rifle shooting.  Meaning you're not having to shift your head to get normal sight alignment nor are they lifting when you get a good cheek weld. Defeats the purpose of doubling up if your muff lifts and negates any benefits. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2017 at 5:04 AM, v1911 said:

Make sure that whatever muffs you go with don't move or interfere with your rifle shooting.  Meaning you're not having to shift your head to get normal sight alignment nor are they lifting when you get a good cheek weld. Defeats the purpose of doubling up if your muff lifts and negates any benefits. 

Part of the benifit for me is the insurance if that does happen.  I knocked off my headphones last year and was pretty glad I had foam plugs in as backup

Some brakes are worse than others. I was shooting the AAC 51 tooth mount/brake in 3 gun since it worked with my can.  Doubling up on ear pro worked fine for my ears, but the overpressure would often blurr my vision, I guess because it was messing with my retinas. I switched to a Lantac dragon for 3 gun and it is much better for the shooter.

Shooting a brake, plugs under muffs seems mandatory. My ears will ring if the plugs aren't in. Electronic muffs on top of plugs are great, you can crank up the volume to a comfortable level to where you can hear conversation and range commands, and you're still double protected.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have mentioned, doubling up is nice.  Having amplification over plugs is nice for RO commands, and conversations.  I prefer Decibullz plugs however.  Most of the time, I just wear the plugs without doubling up.

I don't have any experience with the upper end muffs but I just upgraded my $50 peltors for their new $100 Tactical series (the 300 model I believe). Better noise cancelation than my old pair and I noticed that I didn't need to double plug with running and indoor carbine match. Normally I'd double plug. But I found with these new Peltors, that wasn't necessary.  They obviously don't do anything to lessen the concussion from the brakes when I have to RO, but at least I don't have to deal with the discomfort have having to double up for 3 hours.  

Edited by v1911

• 3 weeks later...