Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pick me apart. Local match Production GM

wtturn

Shot this match like I would shoot a major, after experimenting with speed the last few local matches.  So that meant I was headhunting for points.  

I am mostly pleased with my performance, with a few bobbles and movement issues I'd like to improve.

You'll be doing me a favor if you watch and critique my shooting.

Edited by wtturn

Hesitation getting going at :08

Had to adjust your body at :37, setup wider so you can drive directly to the next target

Same as above, at :50

Missed draw at 1:30, as you know, followed by the magazine issue (did it not drop or did you miss the button?)

Looked really good, nice shooting dude

2 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

Hesitation getting going at :08

Had to adjust your body at :37, setup wider so you can drive directly to the next target

Same as above, at :50

Missed draw at 1:30, as you know, followed by the magazine issue (did it not drop or did you miss the button?)

Looked really good, nice shooting dude

Thanks Gooldy.  

That mag refused to drop free for some reason.  Maybe liquid grip buildup?  I'm going to apply some Armor-All inside the magwell.  

I appreciate your notes, I did notice from my own review that I'm picking up my feet out of position anticipating leaving but not driving out of position strongly.  Even worse, sometimes putting the foot back down before moving.  Position exits will be a training focus this month.  

Good stuff here. 96% of the points is real solid. I love trying to pick apart skilled shooters. This might be a long post, but I'm making it because I think you're really good.

What's your reasoning behind your strong hand thumb sticking straight up in your grip?

You said pick you apart so I'll try to address everything I can see no matter how small.

One thing I try to stress in my own shooting (and still struggle with) is trying to adopt shooting positions which have as much stability as possible. There are obviously targets which don't require much stability to execute on, but even on those I try to reinforce good habits of becoming as solid as possible. At the start of the video as your entering that first position your left leg isn't as grounded as it could be. The way I'd try to address this is to bend your right leg more and try to take a wider stance with the left foot wholly on the ground. I feel the lower center of gravity also helps in exiting especially from awkward positions.

I also think a drop step (split) is a more efficient way of leaving positions which involve heavy leans. The way I like to decide if I'm going to drop step or not is if in the shooting position my center of gravity is over or beyond one of my feet, I'll use that side to drop step. If my center of gravity is still mostly between my feet, I'll tend to just drive off when leaving.

As you mentioned earlier, the exit off that far left side position at :08 was a little funky. I think wider feet in that entire shooting position would have worked a little cleaner for you.

Entry and execution of the next position at :10 was real solid. Excellent transition to the left side. 

Coming into the position at :17 you have the gun pointed mostly up. I'm sure you're doing this as insurance to avoid sweeping. The way I handle these situations is that I hold the gun in pretty much the same place as you but I still point the gun forward, but far outside the realm of where my weak hand is going to be if I need to operate a port or a door or whatever. Basically the only difference in position is I hold my right elbow high and outside while you're keeping your elbow low. I think this sets me up to reassemble my grip a little better than pointing the gun totally off axis does.

Execution of that last position was really well done.

That's a spicy draw you got there.

First part of stage 2 looks good.

Something a bit goofy happened at :31. When I'm shooting targets on the move or running and hitting one real quick on the way like this situation, I try to take much bigger steps. This allows me to stay on target a bit easier while moving and has the added benefit of making my feet less likely to get bound up. Might be something to play with.

At :36 your transition to the last target looks a bit inhibited. In situations with tight ports I've found that I can effectively make shooting positions larger by taking a wider stance and being able to shift my body from left to right without moving my feet. Try a position like that in practice but make your feet at least 1.5 times as wide as you had them in the video. This may have helped you a little in this situation.

At :51 looks like you just barely overran your position. It didn't cost you a lot, but every bit counts. Again I like the wide step method for giving yourself a little more room in tight window situations.

At :58 you flub your 2nd mag pouch a bit. If you don't already do this try to make sure you get equal reps from all mag pouches in your dry fire. It probably didn't cost you anything, but obviously we want to be as clean in our execution as we can be.

At 1:00 notice that when you get to your final shooting position, you take an extra little step to widen your base a bit. Try and get there with your feet right and not have to adjust them. I think too narrow feet is a very common theme we're seeing. The shooting has all been really well executed.

1:12 we're seeing a similar position to the first one in the video. Again, I'd like to see a wider base with your right foot totally on the ground. Good execution of the drop step out of this position.

1:17 look how narrow those feet are. 

1:21 that little step you had to take could probably have been avoided with wider feet.

1:34 same deal as previously talked about. Good execution of the drop step again.

You've already addressed the mag issue.

Rest of the stage looked really solid.

Final stage, really good first step to the first target. Feet get a little wonky right after that. Every step needs to be measured and happen with intent. When you're doing your walk through on stages pay just as much if not more attention to your feet as you do your hands.

Overall, really good shooting and great points. I think there's a few things you can tighten up especially with the feet that will really lead to surprisingly better match scores. Please ask if I didn't explain something well, hope you find this helpful.

Jake, sincerely, thanks for taking the time to do such a thorough breakdown.  You have a keen eye.

On the flagged thumb thing, I really can't explain it.  It's not something I intend to do or consciously think about.  I just catch myself doing it sometimes.  My hasty theory is that it's a perception of having a really high grip, as high up into the beavertail as possible.  

There is a definite theme here, and it is creating a wider base with my feet and legs.  A wider base will improve target transitions (minimizing shuffle) and provide a better platform from which to make the next movement.

I will be putting a heavy emphasis on footwork training this month.  

Thanks again!  

Jake did a great job of breaking down the blow by blow events during your stage run. The only thing I can add is that you are donating some precision aggressive movement in your transitions by heavily leveraging your arms and waist verses your legs. We can usually transition the gun aggressively using our arms and waist but stopping the gun right on our aiming spot becomes a challenge. This is evident in your hard transitions to steel which results in a miss on the first shot. Using your legs to drive and stop the transition will allow you to maintain aggressive movement but also stop the gun on target with much more precision. This also ties into all of Jakes comments on setting up your stance and foot position to enable you to do these things.

The only other thing that I can point out is your two instances of having frustrating verbal outbursts during your stage runs. Verbal outbursts like that can only happen by consciously processing the situation and judging the outcome right in the middle of the event. You waste mental bandwidth by thinking about and formulating a verbal outburst. We perform our best when things are being executed from a subconscious level. Verbal outbursts only serve as mental distractions that waste our limited mental bandwidth. The fact of the matter is that there will always be something that we feel isn't going as intended during our stage run. How you deal with those issues will dramatically impact your ability to execute subconsciously after the event. We should always strive to execute from a subconscious level and eliminating manufactured distractions like verbal outbursts is one major step in doing that. 

4 hours ago, wtturn said:

Jake, sincerely, thanks for taking the time to do such a thorough breakdown.  You have a keen eye.

My pleasure. I appreciate that, I've spent a ton of hours developing it

4 hours ago, wtturn said:

On the flagged thumb thing, I really can't explain it.  It's not something I intend to do or consciously think about.  I just catch myself doing it sometimes.  My hasty theory is that it's a perception of having a really high grip, as high up into the beavertail as possible.  

I'd consider using the off season to tuck that thing down to be more a part of the rest of your grip. I'm sure it's not really hurting you very much at all, but I think even a 1% improvement in recoil management is something we should go after as GMs. Every little bit counts.

What Cha-Lee said about using the legs to transition is spot on. Whenever possible, I try to keep the relationship between the gun, my arms, and my torso the same while using those big powerful muscles in your legs and hips to transition left and right.

19 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

We should always strive to execute from a subconscious level and eliminating manufactured distractions like verbal outbursts is one major step in doing that. 

That makes sense.  Thanks, Cha-lee.