Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti stinger or sti steelmaster?

Orbit

Friends,

I am now in possession of STI Stinger 9mm, a bit customized nickel plated, custom grip, c-more red dot in custom cape mount. 

Now, a friend of mine is selling his STI Steelmaster, almost new, 600 rounds thru it with 1 mag.

i need your professional opinion on what to do. I have to own just one. Is it the stinger 12 yrs old in my hand or the new steelmaster that almost just came out of the store?

Many thanks in advance.

Friends,

I am now in possession of STI Stinger 9mm, a bit customized nickel plated, custom grip, c-more red dot in custom cape mount. 

Now, a friend of mine is selling his STI Steelmaster, almost new, 600 rounds thru it with 1 mag.

i need your professional opinion on what to do. I have to own just one. Is it the stinger 12 yrs old in my hand or the new steelmaster that almost just came out of the store?

Many thanks in advance.

I love my SteelMaster! I do not know anything about the stinger

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hello: What kind of matches are you shooting your Stinger in? Steel Challenge type matches your Stinger will do everything the Steelmaster will do. If you are shooting IPSC get a 5" pistol. STI just changes the name of some of their pistols and adds a little bling also. Same dog less hair. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, Banacek said:

That seems high for the SteelMaster. Mine was $2700 for stainless steel.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Are you selling it my friend:)

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: What kind of matches are you shooting your Stinger in? Steel Challenge type matches your Stinger will do everything the Steelmaster will do. If you are shooting IPSC get a 5" pistol. STI just changes the name of some of their pistols and adds a little bling also. Same dog less hair. Thanks, Eric

IPSC most of the time Aircooled, but this will be my first in using race gun in open division. I dont like to but with my aging eyes, i need it now. I am planning to sell my stinger and get the steelmaster. what do you think?

Hello: I would get a TruBor in 9mm for what you want to do with it. A 5" gun shoots so much softer at major loads than a Stinger or Steelmaster. A MatchMaster would be better but still not as good as a TruBor. I am not sure what the exchange rate is right now but you may do better finding an open pistol in the USA. Not sure about importing one either. Thanks, Eric

16 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I would get a TruBor in 9mm for what you want to do with it. A 5" gun shoots so much softer at major loads than a Stinger or Steelmaster. A MatchMaster would be better but still not as good as a TruBor. I am not sure what the exchange rate is right now but you may do better finding an open pistol in the USA. Not sure about importing one either. Thanks, Eric

Hi Eric,

i just get 1 5 inches race gun for 9mm major for the future. I got the BUL Racing Master 9mm major from Israel. I boight it for Can$2800 with 3 mags. This is almost a copy of STI 2011 race gun from Israel.

i originally just planning to shoot minor 9mm using STI Stinger but this STI steelmaster knocked on my door.

13 minutes ago, cecil said:

I recommend checking the prices for a new Steel Master....  by the way... I have 2 STI Steel Masters... love them

Thanks Cecil. 

Why you have 2 steel master?

I bought a Steel Master to shoot steel... and I like shooting it... so I came across a real good deal on another one so I bought it .. I have back-ups for all my competition guns.. 

7 hours ago, cecil said:

I bought a Steel Master to shoot steel... and I like shooting it... so I came across a real good deal on another one so I bought it .. I have back-ups for all my competition guns.. 

Wow..that's nice Cecil. I think most of us in the sports needs a back-up especially if you are running into a big competition. Kudo!

My advice is sell them both and use that money to buy a regular 5inch open gun like a trubor, dvc or even ck arms. 

The stinger is 12+ years old and sub optimal as an ipsc/uspsa open gun. It has a short barrel and tiny comp. 

the bul not a 100% standard 2011 so some parts comparability will be off. It's also not a model really used in ipsc/uspsa so no one will really know much about it at all. 

2 sub-optimal guns is not as good as one that is fit for purpose. 

I would sell the two square pegs and buy a round peg for the round hole. :)

fortunately the money from selling both should easily get you into a new sti or ck. With current sti qc issues I'd look hard at the ck or a used sti. 

23 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

My advice is sell them both and use that money to buy a regular 5inch open gun like a trubor, dvc or even ck arms. 

The stinger is 12+ years old and sub optimal as an ipsc/uspsa open gun. It has a short barrel and tiny comp. 

the bul not a 100% standard 2011 so some parts comparability will be off. It's also not a model really used in ipsc/uspsa so no one will really know much about it at all. 

2 sub-optimal guns is not as good as one that is fit for purpose. 

I would sell the two square pegs and buy a round peg for the round hole. :)

fortunately the money from selling both should easily get you into a new sti or ck. With current sti qc issues I'd look hard at the ck or a used sti. 

Thank you Beerbaron.

• 1 month later...

Friends,

I am now in possession of STI Stinger in 9mm minor set-up. I chose this over STI steelmaster due to price and accessories included. The previous owner told me that the race pistol loves the 124g American Eagle Factory ammo. I tried 3 factory ammunitions; 115g white box win 9mm, 124g Blazer 9mm and 124g AE Factory ammo.

Results using a bench rest for pistol:

115g --- the grouping in 10, 15 & 25 yards were sometimes close  (1 to 2" groupings) and sometimes spread out (windage for 2 to 3" more)

124g Blazer --- the grouping in 10, 15 & 25 yards were better (1" groupings) but the elevation and windage most of the time just fly around

124g AE --- the grouping in 10, 15 & 25 yards were better (1" groupings) but sometimes just went out far for both windage and elevation

Last night, I tried the 147g projectiles FMJ/Copper plated 4grains of titegroup and I was amazed about the accuracy, POA equals to POI in 10, 15 & 25 yards.

Problem with the pistol was occasionally, the empty brass was caught between the receiver (ejection area)  and the bottom of the c-more mount, causing malfunction (failure to competely eject).

QUESTIons and in needs of your opinions:

1. What is your best ammunitions for STI Stinger 9mm (specially projectiles) and or STI Steelmaster? For factory and best recipee for reloading minor?

2. How to solve the failure to completely eject the spent case which was caught between the ejection port and the c-more mount?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Orbit
correction