Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

spherical bushing self destruct

tcazes

anyone know what would cause this to happen? gun has less than 500 rounds on it. its a briley custom built by brileys...the bushing cnapped right at the flange where it meets the slide

20170625_131901_zpsyuqtaqos.jpg

20170625_131910_zpsnwftphub.jpg

Edited by tcazes

Interesting. So what would the proper way be to measure recoil spring length? Just out of curiosity. I know the Gun came from briley that way. I would think they knew what they were doing. 

45 minutes ago, tcazes said:

Interesting. So what would the proper way be to measure recoil spring length? Just out of curiosity. I know the Gun came from briley that way. I would think they knew what they were doing. 

put everything in except for the recoil spring. draw back the slide till it stops. take a marker and mark the slide and frame where it stops. repeat with the recoil spring in and see if the marks still line up. if they are short that means the recoil spring is at full compression before the recoil spring tunnel hit the frame.  

Also check to see if the spring plug is flush with the slide when installed 

I replaced it with a standard single piece bushing. To me the Briley two piece bushing is a cool idea, but really not needed for a practical shooting pistol. That and why double the moving parts that have a potential to fail when you can replace it with a single piece. The ride was fun while it lasted but I don't think its worth riding again.

It looks like there is /was a portion of the bushing(on the right in the photo) that was turned down leaving a square corner where the crack initiated. Any part that has a square corner subjected to any stress will be prone to crack at that stress riser. I've got a lot of rounds on mine but I do carry a pre-fit bushing in my bag.........just in case.

yea im still waiting to hear back from briley. i had my gunsmith fit a standard one piece but he was talking about how he had to remove an awful lot of material from the bushing id to get it to fit and had to clean up the inside of the slide to get the bushing to fit all the way into it as well....not too sure what that all meant but i shot a match with it last night and it shot flawlessly so guess only time will tell! the only thing im not to fond of is having a standard bushing and recoil plug as to my original reverse plug. i sure did like my reverse plug setup.

Barrel Bushings are not drop in parts. They almost always need to be fitted to the slide and barrel. So I am not sure why your gunsmith is whining about having to fit it. Fitting a barrel bushing is pretty basic 1911/2011 work that any competent gunsmith should be able to get done fairly quickly. 

He's been a smith for over 30 years so for him to say something means it must have taken some pretty good work compared to normal. If seen him build beautiful limited guns and every bit of work he has done from triggers to barrels has always been fantastic. Not too sure what he ran into. But, I'll update if it ever fails lol

Pretty sad. I specifically chose them after months of discussions and searching for a very unique pistol. They completely botched it. Before I write a completely new thread I have to give them an opportunity to fix it. On Wednesday we will know if they are open to making it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk