Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Most Unusual Stage

Shot this stage at an indoor match this evening.  Not one that is encountered often.

From the WSB, from Box A advance (about 10 yards) to Box B,  Engage shoot target with 2 rds.   Repeat for a second string.

Stage consisted of one metric scoring target and 11 no-shoot targets.

Sunday Night Match.JPG

A stage designed to be all about one thing and normally through some sort of gimmickery or undue influence on a shooter is almost always a poor stage.

If you have some sort of ah-ha moment about how crazy, cool, hard, unique or whatever your stage might be, maybe sit back and ask someone else's opinion.

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Was that the ONLY stage ???

Nope.  Just one of four.

Its at an indoor range not yet USPSA affiliated with a new organizer this month.  This was his first match.  Based on the wording on the WSB I do not think he has participated in many, if any USPSA matches.

Of the four, two stages were excellent (but one of those was not USPSA legal).  A third was a modified "El Presidente".

I'm hoping with experience and time the stages will improve.  The prior organizer did good but ran it as a one man show,  Perhaps the new organizer will be open to ideas.   I was advised these matches are a low priority to the range owner so I'm cautious about making waves.

31 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Nope.  Just one of four.

Its at an indoor range not yet USPSA affiliated with a new organizer this month.  This was his first match.  Based on the wording on the WSB I do not think he has participated in many, if any USPSA matches.

Of the four, two stages were excellent (but one of those was not USPSA legal).  A third was a modified "El Presidente".

I'm hoping with experience and time the stages will improve.  The prior organizer did good but ran it as a one man show,  Perhaps the new organizer will be open to ideas.   I was advised these matches are a low priority to the range owner so I'm cautious about making waves.

Don't make waves, offer to give him a hand getting started... ;)

37 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Don't make waves, offer to give him a hand getting started... ;)

With the prior organizer, we offered.  We didn't know if it was the organizer or the range owner that did not want outside involvement.  Once we get to know the "new" guy, we will probably once again offer to help.

If its an unsanctioned non-USPSA match then they can do whatever retardedness they want. The product they produce will dictate how much participation they get. A congenital issue of bad stage design will lead to reduced attendance. This issue is usually self correcting if the MD wants the match to survive and prosper.

It's interesting the crap people will eat rather than cook for themselves. Shooting matches are the same thing in many places. It's easier to shoot a crap match than put on a good one yourself. So often junk matches don't self correct out of existence.

I run a weekly unsanctioned USPSA match indoors.  We actually are no longer allowed to go downrange so our only allowed movement is lateral, so I feel for MDs who have serious restrictions like no shooting into side berms (walls), restricted movement, etc.  That being said, we are still able to create stages that offer unique shooting challenges despite the restrictions.  This stage seems like a lot of movement for the shooting you are doing.  It seems like a footrace with lots of white decoration.  I know the first few weeks (and probably even months) of the match I run did not have the best stages, and I learned a lot.  You have to be willing to open yourself to criticism and make changes as you find out better methods.  Best of luck to the club.

While it may not be what you think is awesome,,remember you didn't have to put in the time to set it up.

we are all customers of the range.. I shot indoor matches for a few years,with only lateral movement,they just put no shoots behind the targets where you had to get the right angel not to have a shoot thru,,it was not uspsa..

But it was good.

On 6/25/2017 at 9:57 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

Shot this stage at an indoor match this evening.  Not one that is encountered often.

From the WSB, from Box A advance (about 10 yards) to Box B,  Engage shoot target with 2 rds.   Repeat for a second string.

Stage consisted of one metric scoring target and 11 no-shoot targets.

Sunday Night Match.JPG

Same thing could have been done with 1 No Shoot covering everything except the Head.

9 hours ago, bret said:

Same thing could have been done with 1 No Shoot covering everything except the Head.

True.  

The shooting box was the full width of the bay.

What was interesting is that most of the squad was newer shooters and all the different locations they chose to engage the target. The experienced shooters went straight down the middle.  Some new shooters went far right and some went far left.

3 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

True.  

The shooting box was the full width of the bay.

What was interesting is that most of the squad was newer shooters and all the different locations they chose to engage the target. The experienced shooters went straight down the middle.  Some new shooters went far right and some went far left.

In that case it has a bunch of shoot throughs so it is not legal.

This stage seems to be "Legal" for a non-sanctioned USPSA match which this stage was part of. As stated early on in this thread, since its not a sanctioned USPSA match they can do whatever they want. Trying to debug a stage to see what USPSA rules it violates when it was never part of a USPSA match is a waste of time.

4 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

This stage seems to be "Legal" for a non-sanctioned USPSA match which this stage was part of. As stated early on in this thread, since its not a sanctioned USPSA match they can do whatever they want. Trying to debug a stage to see what USPSA rules it violates when it was never part of a USPSA match is a waste of time.

USPSA rules apply to all USPSA matches, what rule says it must be a sanctioned USPSA match for the rules to apply?

Stupid stage and the same thing could have been accomplished with 1 No Shoot covering up the same amount of target as the 11 no shoots did,  if the stage builder wanted to be a ball buster they could have covered everything except the upper A Zone.

1 hour ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Actually there were probably a half dozen spots in the box where the target could be engaged without hitting a no-shoot.

Looks like several places for shoot throughs, that is the main problem with the stage.

Look at post # 7 in this thread. This stage was NOT in a USPSA match. You can't have a "USPSA Match" unless its being hosted by an affiliated club, which this club is not. For all we know it could be "Billy Bob's No Shoot Love Blaster Match".