Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Local Match - Single Stack C Class

DKorn

As always any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'm mainly looking for help on stage plans and/or what to work on (whether strategy wise or dry fire), but anything helps!

If it matters, I started on stage 5 (the one I forgot to get video of) and ended on stage 4. 

Things I worked on leading up to and at this match:

-reloads on the move in dry fire

-visualizing stage plans

-dry firing the first array, or as much as possible, during make ready. I had not done this before and it adds so much confidence to the beginning of my stage!

-A little bit, trying to make sure I'm seeing exactly as much as I need to see to make good hits, but not more than necessary. I still need a lot of work on this, but I thought I did a decent job at it on stage 4. 

Things I know didn't go so well:

-Threw a mike on stage 1 even after taking extra shots on the far headshot. 

-On stage 6, threw 2 shots into no-shoots. I made both of them up, but hesitated in doing so and wasted time. 

-For some reason I just stood there for like half a second before doing a slide lock reload on that same stage. Also, had a couple of malfunctions towards the end of that stage.

Critiquing your stage plans is probably going to be a fruitless enterprise online, unless someone on here shot the same stages on the ground.

Stage planning just takes time and experience. I suggest you squad with the best shooters at your club, regardless of division, and pick their brains. Ask them why they do the things they do and the explanation for their decisions.

The biggest thing I noticed in watching your video is a weak and ineffective grip. A heavy steel gun like that with minor power factor should not be recoiling as severely as it is. You need to grip harder and maybe increase your grip strength if you are deficient in that department.

1 hour ago, wtturn said:

The biggest thing I noticed in watching your video is a weak and ineffective grip...You need to grip harder and maybe increase your grip strength if you are deficient in that department.

I'd agree with this.  If you look at 01:33, you can see that your support hand has quite a bit of gap between it and your firing hand thumb.  Look to get the meaty part at the base of your thumb up and in the gap right under the safety, and then apply some serious squeeze with that part of your hand.

Edited by GorillaTactical

7 hours ago, wtturn said:

Critiquing your stage plans is probably going to be a fruitless enterprise online, unless someone on here shot the same stages on the ground.

Stage planning just takes time and experience. I suggest you squad with the best shooters at your club, regardless of division, and pick their brains. Ask them why they do the things they do and the explanation for their decisions.

The biggest thing I noticed in watching your video is a weak and ineffective grip. A heavy steel gun like that with minor power factor should not be recoiling as severely as it is. You need to grip harder and maybe increase your grip strength if you are deficient in that department.

5 hours ago, GorillaTactical said:

I'd agree with this.  If you look at 01:33, you can see that your support hand has quite a bit of gap between it and your firing hand thumb.  Look to get the meaty part at the base of your thumb up and in the gap right under the safety, and then apply some serious squeeze with that part of your hand.

Thanks, I'll work on tweaking my grip to get my left hand higher and in better contact with the gun. I've also noticed that when I dry fire a lot and don't do enough live fire, I get sloppy with my grip. I can definitely tell the difference in terms of recoil between squeezing hard and being lazy with my support hand grip, but I never notice it during the match. 

What're your thoughts on the "squeeze as hard as you can with the support hand" that many shooters prefer versus the Enos "relaxed, even pressure to let the gun track naturally straight up and down"? I've tried a bit of both and I'm not sure which is better for me. 

2 hours ago, DKorn said:

Thanks, I'll work on tweaking my grip to get my left hand higher and in better contact with the gun. I've also noticed that when I dry fire a lot and don't do enough live fire, I get sloppy with my grip.

That's pretty common.  You have to cultivate the discipline in dry fire to grip hard every rep.  Use pro-grip or equivalent as a mental cue to grip hard. 

What're your thoughts on the "squeeze as hard as you can with the support hand" that many shooters prefer versus the Enos "relaxed, even pressure to let the gun track naturally straight up and down"? I've tried a bit of both and I'm not sure which is better for me. 

I squeeze hard (crush grip) with both hands.  For the strong hand, that means as hard as I can grip without introducing tension into the trigger finger.  For the weak hand, that means as hard as I can grip without inducing tremors.  I really don't care how the gun tracks, as long as it is consistent.