Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Holster Recommendations.

Explosiveo

I am looking for a holster for the glock 35 (also could work with the glock 17) that is legal for carry optics and works well.

I stumbled across this:

https://www.safariland.com/all-products/model-5197-open-top-competition-holster-with-uspsa-kit-1190691.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwvr3KBRD_i_Lz6cihrDASJADUkGCa7seGuDRvv8Ulnt6aly1S5nORds6Z_aufPO4q-3Z4uBoCE47w_wcB

Does this look legal?

Any suggdstions?

Thanks!fd4a2985b0c0c23109a43417ac30115e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

I am looking for a holster for the glock 35 (also could work with the glock 17) that is legal for carry optics and works well.

I stumbled across this:

https://www.safariland.com/all-products/model-5197-open-top-competition-holster-with-uspsa-kit-1190691.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwvr3KBRD_i_Lz6cihrDASJADUkGCa7seGuDRvv8Ulnt6aly1S5nORds6Z_aufPO4q-3Z4uBoCE47w_wcB

Does this look legal?

Any suggdstions?

This is what I run for my G34 in CO... Works well, and I can't see any reason it isn't perfectly legal.

TobyJ

This is what I run for my G34 in CO... Works well, and I can't see any reason it isn't perfectly legal.

TobyJ

On their website, if you select the glock 35 (same size as the 34) and/or a optic, it says your firearm is not compatible. Had me kind of nervous to pull the trigger on it. Thanks for confirming it works. What optic do you use if I may ask?

I'm running an RMR now, and have also run it with a Vortex Viper...with the vortex, there was one small spot where the holster touched the sight.  Wasn't a huge deal, and I only really noticed it when holstering (occasionally took a little maneuvering), but 10 seconds with a heat gun fixed it right up.

TobyJ

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2017 at 9:39 AM, Explosiveo said:

I stumbled across this:

Does this look legal?

Any suggdstions?

I've just today received that exact same holster and put the hanger on it for our (hopefully approved) IPSC production optics

I have a RHT on a SP hanger. There isn't any interference for irons or MRD. Most of the competition based holsters are open from the front of the slide breech back according to USPSA and IDPA rules. The RHT holster is rigid and fits very precisely, especially with the thumb screws.

Edited by 858

11 hours ago, 858 said:

I have a RHT on a SP hanger. There isn't any interference for irons or MRD. Most of the competition based holsters are open from the front of the slide breech back according to USPSA and IDPA rules. The RHT holster is rigid and fits very precisely, especially with the thumb screws.

I second this I use one on my glock 17 that has had a Burris fast fire and vortex venom. Also works for my production 17 also. 

The Bladetech does that too. It throws off my draw if I don't get the angle perfect. The RHT holster is very precise for Kydex and the thumb screws don't feel like a cheap afterthought. Make sure you get the SP hanger if you're shooting USPSA, it clamps tightly to the belt and reduces the overall inner contact that blocks the velco. I started with a BT Tek-Lok holster, it slides around and prevents the velcro in my double belt from attaching. The Double Alpha mag pouches and Springer Precision hanger just fit much better.

Thanks. Appreciate the info. My other Safariland 014 holster wont even fit on my belt. Too wide. So i had to clamp it to my inner belt. Using the 511 belt but i may have to invest in a new belt as well. I have been warned that my inner belt needs to be though my belt loops and it doesnt work with the holster clamped to it.

4 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

Im sold. Ordering now. This Comptech points right at my leg when in drop holster mode.

Yeah the Comp Tac DOH hanger is terrible.  The Comp Tac International will mount to a BOSS hanger though which are very nice.  I now use a Blade Tech with a BOSS hanger.  The Blade Tech holster has plenty of clearance to work with an optic.

The boss hanger for Bladetech also works for Comptac holster, they sell a separate hanger plate for Safariland holsters also, I have and use all 3 brands of holsters.

Most of the gear out there is proprietary as in they are designed for their specific product, one that comes to mind is the older Safariland 2 piece belts where the velcro was the opposite set up to other brands. You do get a bit more adjustment with the Safariland hanger but both are quite good to use, much better than the OEM DOH set ups. Pic attached is my G17 with Redfield sight on dovetail mount in the Safariland 5197, shows plenty of clearance off the sight.

IMG_20170710_092407.jpg

IMG_20170710_094038.jpg

Edited by terrydoc

• 2 weeks later...

An option: I've been using the Blade-Tech with BOSS hanger for over 1.5 years, shooting a G17, 34, 35 and 24 in different sports/divisions.  I started with the Blade-Tech 34/35 holster and cut the bottom out to fit the G24.  It holds the G17 fine as well.  The thumb screw tension adjusters work really well also.  It helps to have one holster for everything.

• 4 weeks later...