Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Open Pistol ??

Broncman

Trying to get what I want figured out.

Optimal barrel length? What and why?

Grip, seriously looking at the PT metal grips and PT bottom section. Does the weight help in balance or am I just being sucked in by coolness..

Slides? Steel or Stainless? Which is more prone to cracking?

My first Open gun was an STI steel frame and slide custom gun built from the ground up. 4.5" shorty with a steel Binary comp. it had lightening gills, swoop cut on the back, two tone PVD (black and Gold) and it cracked after 15k rounds!
My second custom gun is much simpler. 5" Hard chromed with no lightening cuts.
I added the PT grip and love it. I feel that the 5" is going to be the most reliable and soft shooting. I like the weight of the full size gun and especially the balance with the steel grip.
KISS principle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend getting a Trubor and see if you will like shooting open. You can find a used one for about $2500-2800. It is a great starter gun and a way to find out what you like and what you don't like. I would hate to see you buy a custom gun out of the gate and not like it. See if you can borrow a gun for some range time practice.

My first gun was a Trubor, then a CK Arms Hardcore before I finally decided on my 2 Akai Custom Open guns. My last one was truly spec'd out with tungsten sleeved barrel and PT grips. 

10 hours ago, BiggMike said:

I  recommend a TruBor ....

That's how I got started, ten years ago - still shoot it ....    :wub:

What are you shooting, now?   That will have a large impact

on what you should start out with in OPEN.    :)